Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

CCD and Beekeeper Health?

14K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  chillardbee 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am a 52 year old beekeeper with 25+ years experence. I am having some health issues. My doctors are having not much luck identifying the cause. With the attention on CCD as a virus. I am curious if by chance this virus crossed over and is contributing to my health issues? Have you as a beekeepers experenced health issues that are new to you with in the last 2-3 years?

#28 ·
Barry, I am sooooo sorry to hear about your friend with ALS. A colleague of mine was diagnosed with that 5 years ago, and he passed away earlier this month. There is nothing they can do for it. He was only 60.
Regards,
Steven

#29 ·
All,

Good news! It looks like the mold issue is real. I told the doctors about the mold connection. She had me go in for a sputum test and a chest cat scan. Turns out I had a major infection in my nasal and chest/lungs caused by mold. After 3 weeks of cipro @ 500mg twice a day I Feel like new. I hope that the antibiotic did its job and killed the infection so it will not grow back. I would like to thank you all for your help and especially logger mike for bringing up the mold connection. I would have never put that together.
Mold is a real issue. One I would have never considered. Make sure you use proper protection while cleaning up boxes.
Thanks again to all,

Hal Mack

#30 ·
Hal, thanks for the update, and congratulations on the good news! Hope the treatments take/took care of it for you.

This is a good heads-up for us to wear some type of respirator when we clean moldy hives in the future.
Regards,
Steven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.