Hive construction

Default Hive construction

I'm building a few dozen deep and medium supers for a winter project with some cypress my dad had laying around.
    How do I cut the inset "D" type handle ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive construction

You should do a search, this question has been asked and answered a couple of times recently.

However, my answer to your specific question would be to leave your nice cypress sides and ends intact and to attach end cleats, instead. It seems self-defeating to obtain nice cypress, but to then compromise it by cutting hand-hold slots in the sides of the intact wood.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Wink Re: Hive construction

[QUOTE=Joseph Clemens;593539]You should do a search, this question has been asked and answered a couple of times recently.

However, my answer to your specific question would be to leave your nice cypress sides and ends intact and to attach end cleats, instead.

I agree with Clemens!! May I suggest, with your drops, rip them to a 2 X 1 or so with a 15 degree parallel slops (trapezoid section view) 6 or so inches long for clats. They work great, gives you an edge to get a hold of, they shead rain and are 3/4" not a square 3/8" grip edge. Gloves or not, you can get a good hold on them. I've put them on "factory" boxes. Drop a box full of bees once and you will know why!

I would agree. Not only are the cleats a little better, but if you think about it, during winter, the slots where the grooved handles would be would be much cooler temp wise if you used a probe due to the wood being thinned. IMHO, better to have cleats
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I saw several Youtube videos on construting equipment and ended up making a jig for my plunge router for hand holds....it works great and I can route hand holds in both sides and ends in less than 10 minutes....makes a lot of sawdust so be ready to deal with that....I got the idea from one of John Pluta's you tube videos (the first one on how to make supers)....I'm a first year beekeeper and might not know much about beekeeping yet, but I' m also a woodworker and anything I can implement as an assembly line project for something like beekeeping, I'll try to do. This one works very well for me, and Pluta has some great ideas....might be worth watching if you're interested. I don't know enough to comment on the issue of the area behind the hand hold slot being cooler, but if it turns out to be an issue during the winter, I'll repost and admit so, in the mean time, here's the youtube link. hope it helps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJfpDhNi2Gs

There are thermal pictures here on BS showing the differences...
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

thanks devdog....how do i find it ?

IMO I would use a 1"x2" as a handle, alot easier and you have a handle the whole length of both ends!

Quote Originally Posted by devdog108 View Post
    There are thermal pictures here on BS showing the differences...
    When you look at them, be sure to ask yourself if they really have any importance whatsoever. The thermal pictures have no applicable meaning to beekeeping in my opinion. They look dramatic, sure, but since 3/4" wood has such low insulative properties anyway, I don't believe that the material removed for the handholds lowers the overall insulative value of the box to any degree worth one whit of your concern.

In a photo collection showing these images, possibly the one that was linked from this site in the past, a thermal image of a footprint on the ground was shown, taken immediately after someone walked there. That image was also remarkably dramatic and useful in that it put the importance of the "smoking gun" hive photo in doubt.

Wayne

Deep South Honey...Send me an e-mail address that I can forward you a set of plans with photos, to cut the hand holds with a skill saw. Takes 30 minutes to make the jig, will cost about 50 cents, then 30 seconds to cut each hand hold. Totally safe and fast. [email protected]