suggestions for controlling SHB also dead bees

Default suggestions for controlling SHB also dead bees

Would like suggestions for getting rid of/controlling SHB. Also, I noticed 7-8 dead bees on their "porch" today. It was raining, so I didn't go into the hive. What's that all about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Cool Re: suggestions for controlling SHB also dead bees

Surely some of you have beetles!!!

Default Re: suggestions for controlling SHB also dead bees

Use oil traps. No chemicals. Work great.

I've been watching the thread needing the same info on shb that you need. If you don't mind me adding a couple questions to the thread....what can I do to control shb at this time of the year? I'm in ky and we are looking at our first low in the 20's this friday night. And I've seen the different traps and I'm wondering does one work better than the other? I have solid bottom boards (seriously thinking about changing all hives to sbb in spring).

SHB are not a problem in the winter, in most areas. May through early September are the months that you have to watch. Full sun and bees enough to cover drawn combs. Don't make a nuc with 2 frames of bees and ten drawn combs the SHB's will lay in the combs with no bees and the whole hive will be slimed in a couple of weeks. SHB's will not lay on foundation just drawn combs.

Would like suggestions for getting rid of/controlling SHB
    You can purchase shb traps from the bee supply stores!

Also, I noticed 7-8 dead bees on their "porch" today
    IMO, The ladies were cleaning house!

I think the dead bees and the SHB are totally unrelated. Beetles don't really bother adult bees...at least until the larvae completely soil the hive and create such a stinky environment that the colony absconds.

The easiest thing to do is put hives in full sun. As for traps, I like the new beetle blaster traps and the hood traps. The "Sonny and Mel Sandwich Container" traps work best in the summer.

Last year my formic acid treatments with Mite Away II drove a lot of the SHB out of the hive. SHB will over winter in the cluster.

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com

Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Smile Re: suggestions for controlling SHB also dead bees

I use the a bb with a screen over the oil pan like the one freeman makes.I use it all the time and veg`oil works in the winter here in south carolina. just change the oil as needed about 4 times a year.works for mites and shb or anything that fall in the oil.google freeman bottom board. order some or make your own.good luck rock.

I have been doing a lot of research on the shb since I have had a problem with them myself.I just come across this website which is new to me I thought I would pass it along and see what you guys think. please let me know if any of you guys have tried this and if so what do you think? Dave has a video on this trap and to tell you the truth I'm very impressed with what I have saw.It is a little pricey,But I think it might be worth it........here's the web http://beetlejail.com/2010/01/new-be...entrance-trap/

completely eradicating this pest from my hives would be awesome!!

Lot's of people here have had success using the free and simple trap shown on
    Fatbeeman's video on SHB traps.

If we had beetles here, I'd try that before buying anything "pricey." dannyidp likes to tout the "beetlejail" but I haven't heard him report having any actual experience with it. (He's posted this same message here enough to make it seem like he's selling this product himself.)

You can read a lot here about actual success using free methods like Don's (fatbeeman.)

Wayne

@ Wayne - Don't be too complacent. Tony J spotted and killed two while going through my hives in Mount Desert in September. I'll agree that they are not numerous enough to cause problems (yet!)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    @ Wayne - Don't be too complacent.
    Nope. I haven't seen a wax moth out here yet either. Can only hope that I won't see either.

Tony came by the bee school class once with a black widow spider he found in a hive. California isn't the only state that has hitch-hiking pests coming in.

Wayne

Forgive my newbeeness but I have a question...... Would this work without the boric acid?..... If the hive beetles are attracted to the Crisco and enter the tunnels to get away from the bees, and the bees keep them herded in the tunnels, wouldn't the shb die eventually?

What does shb waste look like in a sbb debris tray?

No, they eat the crisco, hence the boric acid being used. I went with CD case traps with 3 drops of combat Roach Gel. They die before ever leaving the case and it did wonders when i was almost overran because i put mine beside another beeks that was bad. Still have some and expect too, but not in the numbers they were for sure!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."