Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

us moving honey from the yard to the truck

13K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Phoebee 
#1 ·
Here is hubby moving the honey supers from the yard to the truck and trailer. We normally use a cattle trailer but I think it was full. So we borrowed a trailer from a friend. Worked well. The cart has a motor on it. When I use it, I usually dump one stack per yard. However, boys and their motorized toys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-jdj_fbOE

#3 ·
I think we paid 700 for it. It had the original clinton motor with the pull start having to be wrapped each time. That was difficult to use especially when i was tired and it did not work well. Hubby installed a honda motor that starts real easy. However, before he started we had three forward and one reverse. Due to the shaft size change and a few other change ups he did, we have three reverse and one forward. At least it was the slow forward that stayed on.;)

It might not be the most efficient but it gets the job done.

He loves his ******* dodge truck.

#5 ·
For us it became a necessity. Our original trailer was about 18-24" off the ground. For me loading with a manual cart was just too much, and hand balming everything was to hard on the sholders and back. Husband is usually in the field cutting hay while i pulled honey. Now i pull and stack and he come and loads on the trailer. He pulls too when he can, but he has to also get the hay cut.
We learned long ago that some of the little "extras" even if it is older used equipment sometimes does the body good.

#6 ·
If I were you, I would learn how to cut hay. Then I would make sure the hay had to be cut about time it came to stack and load honey supers!

You are right about the equipment. I have a saying, use your head, but not as a hammer. Many things can either be brained through or bulled through. If you chose to bull through it you will pay for it in the long run. Im just kibbles and bits with my hobby now but if I ever realize my goals I will have to operate with brains cause my back is already toast.

Hope the rest of your season goes well.

#7 ·
and hand balming everything was to hard on the sholders and back.

And stacking 6 deeps full of honey isn't? That 6th box has to get to you after while, doesn't it? I know it if I mess with 60-70 pound deeps of honey. Or are you pulling the boxes before they are close to being plugged out? How much are your deeps weighing?

#10 ·
I used to work at a place that had a couple of indoor lifts along these lines. Both were pushed by one person a little like a hand truck. One was a small platform lift raised by a cable crank (maybe a boat trailer crank) rated to lift 500 pounds. Cheap, easy to maintain, and also made a handy adjustable height table.

The second was an electric/hydraulic fork lift named Big Joe, driven off a large 12 V lead acid battery.

Of the two, I found the hand crank one more useful. With larger tires for outdoor use it could probably handle hives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.