Calling all Alabama beekeepers: No comb law...yes or no? - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Default Re: Calling all Alabama beekeepers: No comb law...yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Register your BEES!!! and place a hive of bees on your location that you want to keep. Question---what is to keep an in state sideliner or commercial from doing the same???? Hmm. Maybe I like your area in Crenshaw county???The answer is to register your beehives. If you do not comply already with state law-then you have no reason to gripe about anything. I hear people complain about the guy that is in charge running the country. Well, same thing, they are not registered to vote and did not vote. So what complaints do they have?? They should not even whimper. At least I voted. REGISTER YOUR BEES!!! TED
    Ted...I HAVE NO BEEHIVES TO REGISTER!!! CAN I REGISTER NON-EXISTENT BEEHIVES??????
    (sorry for the all caps but it appeared there was noise you were trying to yell over so I figured I needed to holler back...???) I guess I ask too many questions???

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ed, when you do get bees, REGISTER THEM!! TED

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Ed, when you do get bees, REGISTER THEM!! TED
    Ok, Ok...I hear ya, Ted.<grin> I'll register them. Matter of fact, I've already figured out my course of action...

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    fatscher- Why not take a look at what surrounding states are doing to promote beekeeping? One thing that TN does is offer a grant program for new beeks. The grants are given out via the local clubs. -james
    No sir, that's not quite correct. Well it is, but let me offer context and perspective. Like you I am a proud member of TBA (even though I still need to pay my dues ), but this grant, you speak of, is a state initiative, not a TBA one.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    I have bees in AL and TN and am aware of nothing that the state of AL does to help me to get started or grow as a beekeeper in Alabama.
    This is my observation too, which is why I propose this grant that ABA sponsor, NOT the state of Alabama. I'm not a state politician, and thusly cannot influence Alabama legislation any more than a mere constituent. Such a prospect feels overwhelming to this grape, chicken, bee farmer & vegetable gardener on 3 acres, who works at a day job at Redstone Arsenal. I am a member of ALFA (Ala Farmers Federation) and I hope you will join me in paying 2012 membership dues. The federation needs guys like us to keep 'em straight.
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

I think that grant program is a cooperative effort between the state and local association. The club I am a member of is able to set up two new beeks per year. The club covers the cost of one of the "kits" and also provides the mentors and, of course, the beginners course.

The State of Alabama (through the Ag and Industries dept), the ABA, ALFA, and the local clubs and associations should be working together to promote beekeeping.

-james

James, your last statement in there lies the problem. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

The Alabama Beekeepers Association is meeting at Taylor Road Baptist Church (1685 Taylor Road, Montgomery) next weekend (Fri-Sat 7&8th of Oct).

At that time I will circulate a petition, seeking as many ABA member signatures as possible, to relax Alabama's no-comb law to allow bees into the state on comb, as long as the carrier is a physical resident of Alabama (claiming AL as his/her domicile). This petition will go to the Bee and Honey Commodity of the Alabama Farmers Federation, a state lobbyist group which wields HUGE power in the halls of the legislature in Montgomery. If you have a strong viewpoint on this no-comb law please make your opinion known to Alabama Bee and Honey Commodity Chairman, Mr. Buddy Adamson, PH: (334) 613-4216, or via email: [email protected].

It is Mr. Adamson's opinion that our AL legislature seems to respect, so please make your voices heard. Democracy cannot be squashed: If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Thank you, dear reader, for your thoughts, prayers, concern, action, sympathy and encouragement.
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112