Maximillian Sunflowers

Default Maximillian Sunflowers

Was driving through the countryside on Saturday and coming over the top of a hill, saw acres and acres of this unusual looking plant. Tall, 4-5 ft. single stems with large 3 inch yellow flowers running all up the single stalk,...no branches. Unusual looking.

I did some research and found it to the be the maximillian sunflower, a great nectar source for bees and butterflies. I'm going to try and see who owned this field, must have been 50-60 acres solid, thick with maximillian sunflowers mixed in with grasses, not a cultivated crop.

Anyone have any experience with putting hives on this type of sunflower?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Smile Re: Maximillian Sunflowers

I dont know; but a farmer , beekeeper friend planted sun flowers just for the bees then that winter said he would not do it again because it tuned to sugar to fast, he said the bee loved it , but had to heat it to sell it, mind you i dont know how long he was talking about.I would try a few hives first.good luch rock.

Default Re: Maximillian Sunflowers

we have some of them here. i haven't noticed any honeybees ( or any other pollinators) on them. they are similar to jerusalem artichokes. the root is edible.

Here in northern Kansas, we have both cultivated and wild sunflowers. They are a major fall flow and the bees seem to love them. I did extract a little bit a couple of years ago, and it started granulating after just a few weeks. It was very yellow and very sweet. I used it for cooking and it was great. Also used it like any other creamed honey as a spread, but it was a little too sweet for my taste. Bees winter great on it though.

BB

Yeah, our fall Brazilian Pepper Honey granulates quickly like that.

I just get it extracted as quickly as possible, and then make spun honey with it. It wants to crystallize anyway - why not just do it on purpose.

Also, how did you identify the sunflower as Maximillian variety, and how did you find out it was a good nectar source? Can you point us to a web page? I ask the question because I have read that there are many type of sunflowers and some are good for nectar and some are good for pollen and some hybrids are good for neither.
    Troy

Sunflowers have a high sucrose nectar just like canola.
    It cristalisez fast.

Try this Texas Parks and Wildlife link. Mentions butterflies but I have seen bees all over these flowers.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild.../maxsunflower/

We have a ton of either Maximillian Sunflowers (Helianthus maximiliani) or Woodland Sunflowers (Helianthus divaricatus) along the wooded creek bottoms in our area. Since I've had bees, I see them on these flowers 50:1 over goldenrod in late summer and fall. It took me a long time to identify them and I still am not sure which variety we have. I never see this flower mentioned and I'm curious about other observations about its nectar importance in our area compared to goldenrod.

Ken

We have some swamp sunflower here that our bees are all over. Helianthus angustifolas (sp?) Don't know about the honey. Letting them keep every thing for winter right now and feeding.
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com