Bees in a mine shaft

Default Bees in a mine shaft

Got a call this afternoon from a guy who has some old abandoned mine shafts in New Mexico with killer bees. Can't get close to the hives and wanted to know what to do with them.

So, I pose it to the forum.

What would you do?

Details: The shafts are six feet by six feet vertical shafts. No equipment or elevators of any kind.

Go for it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees in a mine shaft

Now that would be a good use for phosphate gas. LOL it would do a job on them fast.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-28-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: quoting

Killer bees? How many people have been killed by these bees to date? They may be African Honey Bees, which are more aggressive but the main problem I see is that these vertical shafts are not sealed off. Seems the bees are doing everyone a favor by keeping idiots away from open shafts.

If you really want to get rid of them you need some climbing equipment to lower yourself into the shaft to see exactly where the nest is. With out doing that you are just going to be guessing where to direct your wasp spray/soapy water/flame thrower/ etc. You may find that once you find the hive it may be worth recovering, requeening and setting up.

Hey wolf, great idea, but without knowing the depth of the mines it would be difficult to gage how much gas to pump into the shafts and then you would have to ventilate which may be difficult.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Old none working mines should be sealed just for safety sake, at least seal entrances with #8 wire cloth and hope to starve them between now and next summer. I guess it would be called a trap in???? Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

use a flame thrower...

malithion 50.

when i was a chimney sweep long ago we had a camera and light attached to our sweeping rods we could lower down to inspect the liner for cracks etc...something like that would give you a better idea what it actually is, and if you are suited up you should be able to run for your flame thrower when things get bad. from the sound of it so far it could be hornets or yellow jackets or european honey bees, or africans. i do miss spelunking. justin

Not very scientific since I can't cite the source, but I was reading an article somewhere that indicated shafts like these. . .and caves. . .are what AHB favor, and that because of this predilection, they may be able to survive further north.
    Point I'm clumsily trying to make is that for these reasons, and the fact that we're talking about New Mexico where AHB are know to reside, I would believe they're AHB.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    when i was a chimney sweep long ago we had a camera and light attached to our sweeping rods we could lower down to inspect the liner for cracks etc...something like that would give you a better idea what it actually is, and if you are suited up you should be able to run for your flame thrower when things get bad. from the sound of it so far it could be hornets or yellow jackets or european honey bees, or africans. i do miss spelunking. justin
    I think a rod with a flashlight, a cheap USB-camera, some USB extentions and a laptop could work as an inspection camera.

To test if they are AHB - I guess throwing a rock near the hive would give a pretty clear hint.

Why not let them bee?

How about setting up a nuc with drawn comb and some lemongrass lure? Then setting the nuc near the entrance and start catching swarms? they're probably not really AHB but if they are you could always requeen. -james