I joined the "I have SHB "club - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I joined the "I have SHB "club

Cd traps with combat platinum in them with a little pollen in the middle didnt lure or trap a sngl SHB in my hives this late summer/fall. I finally pulled them and said heck with it. Going with the oil/beetle traps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have 2 of the oil traps in my hives. when I put them in I saw lots of beetles drowned after just a few minutes, after a few days dozens of them, some varroa mites as well. I want every hive I have with one of those traps!

Just want to comment about the BB oil traps -

They do work in that they catch lots of beetles, beetle larva, and wax moth larva. They do not eliminate beetles from the hives. It seems like they would, but I ran them on 5 of my 10 hives all season, and during inspections I don't know if you could really see a big difference in beetle pop between the haves and have nots.

Maybe my total beetle population is lower - I don't know. I do know that the hives that get a good bit of shade always have more beetles. Also the beetles really seem to home in on any weak hives.

Also, the oil gets REALLY nasty and changing it is one more unpleasant thing that you have to do on a timely schedule.

My conclusion is that keeping them strong and in the sun is the primary defense against SHB.

Its combat Roach Gel, there is a difference and it made a huge impact on mine personally....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I suspect that you guys to my south have bigger problems with SHB than we do. I've had them for the past 8 years and have had minimal losses. I suspect that with many things in beekeeping that local conditions have a big part in a hive's ability to deal with SHB. In the beginning, my hives were quarantined and state-mandated treatments were applied. Basically none of these treatments had any significant effect. What worked best for me was to make sure my hives were in full sun (all day sun) and keep colonies strong. Of course you really need to watch splits and unattended honey supers. None of what I have said here is new, but the point I'd like to make is that before you run out and get the latest chems to throw into your hive first assess whether you have a "real" problem. I personally believe (again, locally at least) that strong colonies can manage a certain population of beetles with minimal impact. Since the first two years of my SHB experience, I have stopped all treatments and traps. I have become one with the beetle Of course certain practices have changed, but all is still manageable.

Have any of you all tried the beetle jail?
    Small Hive Beetle Goes to Jail
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Re: I joined the "I have SHB "club

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snodgrass View Post
    Cd traps with combat platinum in them with a little pollen in the middle didnt lure or trap a sngl SHB in my hives this late summer/fall. I finally pulled them and said heck with it. Going with the oil/beetle traps.
    Mike, The roach gel needs to be mixed with a pollen substitute or pollen that has been mixed with honey or syrup and allowed to ferment.

Re: I joined the "I have SHB "club

Quote Originally Posted by fatscher View Post
    Have any of you all tried the beetle jail?
    Small Hive Beetle Goes to Jail
    Yes, they do work, and would be a major help in prevention when used in a proper control program for a hobbiest or side-liner... They are just not feasible for commercial operations though...

See thread titled "Is this the answer to SHB?" on this forum...

I didnt need to add a pollen substitute or anything else for that matter to get it to work. Just a drop or two in each cd case and bam.....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    ...They are just not feasible for commercial operations though...
    Oh yeah, true, no way. At $35 a pop, you'd be out of business from buying those traps. I bought 2, for my two experimental hives.
    Last edited by fatscher; 11-14-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: to get the quote feature correct
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12