I joined the "I have SHB "club
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I joined the "I have SHB "club

I pulled the supers from the hives at my buddies location. Lots of SHB moving around. I wanted to extract but he bailed on me and said he was done with bees.( another story) It was only three supers so I picked them up. I put them in a freezer. Will that take care of the eggs if the exist? I made some CD traps and used AMDRO and put them in the hives. As I saw SHB, I gathered them in my aspirator. Bout 6 or so. I put one beetle in a plastic Rx bottle and put a PDB Chrystal. Not effect. For grins , I put a small piece of paper towel with a drop of listerene. (thymol) no effect. I put a small drop of wintergreen on a paper twl and put it in. Killed him in short order. I realize this is not a scientific method but it has to make you wonder. Could you use wintergreen oil to get rid of SHB in a super w/o comprising the frames or honey in them? Wintergreen is power full stuff.
    Thoughts appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I joined the "I have SHB "club

You might want to put a few bees in the jar and try the drop of wintergreen to test effects upon the bees first. But it is an interesting discovery.

Welcome to the club.

Put them in full sun, make sure they are packed with bees, and see if there are certain breeds in your area that deal with them better than others. After that, you should be kicked out of the club.
    But for now, welcome.

MIke

I went thru my hives yesterday, checking shb traps, and feeding for winter. Most hives had 5-10 shb which I killed, all traps were full of dead beetles. I cleaned them out, refilled with mineral oil, and reinstalled in the hive.

The hives in shade or partial shade, my oh my! Killed 25-30 beetles in them, cleaned and refilled the traps. Need to move from shade to sun next spring. But I sure do prefer to work in the shade from July 1 to Sept. 10. oh well.

I know those numbers are puny compared to you folks further south. You have my condolences and best wishes. And to Rick? Welcome to the club!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I had placed my hives next to a fellow beek that was eaten up with SHB. I generally have 5-10 running around at any given time and for the most part, they are corraled on the top bars on the sides and the bees keep them there. After having mine next to his for a period, they were REALLY REALLY bad. I used Amdro and Combat gels in CD cases. The Combat cases were LOADED with dead beetles, the Amdro, not so much. I removed the cases after the first treatment and the hives are now back to normal. Keep them strong and in full sun and you'll be fine. They can handle them with some help, and sometimes without. Welcome to the fun we have been having...and the club......hope to kick you out really really soon.....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Combat and AMDRO are different in the way they work. Combat is a faster acting insecticide. Amdro slowly shuts down the bugs system, they run "out of gas" and die. The more active the insect, the faster it works. Having said that,,,I wonder if the SHB live long enough to exit the CD case, bees chase them around, die, and are then carried out by the bees?? I read both are excellent in what they do. The Amdro advantage, at least one, is that it is not detectable in the bait and is readily eaten. The disadvantage is that you don't get to see all those dead SHBs

Joined the club this year, Now are they a seasonal thing or am I going to have the joy of fighting them all year? Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Bsweet View Post
    Joined the club this year, Now are they a seasonal thing or am I going to have the joy of fighting them all year? Jim
    All Year Jim, sorry buddy. They will cluster with the bees. No need in fighting them during the winter.
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Oh, they are all year; never go away!!

I live outside Chicago, In Bartlett, IL. and I joined the club today too. Was inspecting my two hives and saw one beetle in a bottom deep. It was on a frame I was looking at and a bee gave it a good hug and they fell to the ground. I didn't see any more (none in hive #2), but I assume where there is one, there could be many.

I am new beek this year, thank goodness inspector came around today. Found SHB in my one hive. We discussed putting roofing shingles on ground around hive to disrupt lifecycle, also spreading DE on ground. Anyone have experience with non-chemical control methods.

90 percent of us do. The roofing for the most part will not work. The bees carry them off. Keep the crowded in the hive just over swarm conditions and in full sun and you will a big difference.

I second what devdog says - try to keep the hive a little on the crowded side, and in full sun, and I would add that you aggravate the problem when you disrupt the hive for inspections - do what you gotta do, but keep it in mind. You're going to have SHB but those things seem to help more than anything.

If/when I treat for mites, I use different materials in the fall than I do in the spring. I have found that a fall treatment with Checkmite+ kills off all the beetles in the hive, thus the bees go into the spring with almost no SHB in the hive. Yes, they come back around in the late summer, but I know they're coming then and can be preventive....as opposed to fighting them all summer long because they made it thru the winter in the cluster.
    Just my experience...

Unfortunately, I have joined the club -- I saw just a few beetles in a couple of my hives and when I went into my one yard, there must have been a hundred that I saw in each of my hives.

I had 13 hives there and only one was strong where the beetles weren't really doing too much. But the other 12 made me really sick as I am not sure what happened to my bee population in those. The hives were in partial shade.

Then I went to some of my other beeyards and they were there too. I am hoping that they don't make it thru winter. But maybe I am just a wishful thinker.

PAguy, how long have you had bees in those locations ? Also were these bees from down south ?

brac,

My yards are about 10-15 miles apart. The first yard with the major infestation has been established for two years, while the second yard was a new location, which I placed packaged bees within it. Both are shady.

I do have another two yards that are in full sun the full day -- I was at one, but only saw 1 SHB and then I am not sure that it didn't tag along. It will be interesting to check out the other beeyard that is in full sun to see how many exist. I will say that this beeyard and the one with the major infestation is about 1/2 mile apart.

I did purchase some hives and placed them into that yard. It is possible that these hives were brought up from the south containing SHB within them.

Just checked my hives in my own backyard and they had taken up residence within the past several days -- yep, I killed about 10 of the little buggers. And my neighbor reported that she saw one in her hive... Let's hope that they don't make it thru Winter.....

It has been reported that the shb will make it thru the winter, many times within the bees own winter cluster. If you have just now discovered shb in some hives, I would earnestly suggest you get some traps in those hives immediately, so the bees can chase the shb into the traps, before the bees begin clustering.

Another thing to realize, as has been pointed out, opening up a hive for inspection aggravates the problem. The main reason is, the bees frequently seal the shb into cracks and crevices with propolis. When we open the hives, we break that seal, thus releasing the shb. Pay particular attention when you pop the inner cover. Frequently the bees seal them in propolis up under the inner cover along the edge or in the corner. Keep your hive tool handy, that's the best way to execute those little buggers...crush them!

Another thing to watch out for, is if you don't have enough oil in your traps, the shb will use it as a refuge from the bees, and when you open the hive, out they pour. So be ready with the hive tool again. I'm not sure about the cd traps, others can chime in on those. I've found I have to empty and clean my AJ traps twice a season, as the bees manage to keep them fairly well occupied with soon to be dead shb.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast