Bees Working Black Eyed Pea Stems

Default Bees Working Black Eyed Pea Stems

This evening while working in my garden, I noticed that my black eyed peas had some heavy bee activity. The bees were working the stem right where the 3 pods attach. The bees would land, lick around for a few seconds, and then fly to the next pod cluster. I couldn't see any visible sap or anything on the stem, but the bees were getting something.

We got about 0.15 inch of rain yesterday. The bees were working goldenrod a little this afternoon. (I could faintly smell goldenrod ripening in late afternoon when I was within a few feet of the hives, and I could smell it from 30 feet away in the evening. I saw a few bees working a goldenrod patch near the beeyard, but it was just a bee here and a bee there.

I only have three 25 foot rows of black eyed peas, but there were bees everywhere.

Has anyone else noticed this on black eyed peas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees Working Black Eyed Pea Stems

I did a little research recently on cotton and learned that there are nectar producing nodes along the stem. I was surprised, I thought it all came from the flowers.

Could your black eyed peas have something similar. I would just be thrilled that the bees were getting something.

Could also be 'honey dew' from aphids. While I've personally never tasted, I've read aphids exude a sweet substance. You'll often see ants on the same stems, at times protecting the aphids from predators...
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Aphids will pee dilute sugar water in order to concentrate the plant juices enough that they work as a food source. This is something I learned in my Entomology class last week. I have never seen bees working near the aphids around my farm though. I have seen bees working on the cotton stems/leaves (this summer early in the morning).

Glad I never actually tried to confirm the taste test.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

CB, I don't know what your bees are doing. I once saw them doing the same thing on Catalpa tree leaves. This was after the trees had bloomed. It looked like they were getting something at the base of the leaves. I did not see any aphids or honeydew.

I don't know about the peas, but bees can see ultraviolet reflections from certain fungus.