To buy or not to buy

Question To buy or not to buy

Hello Beek's, i have an opportunity to purchase 15 hives that are established with some placed on grounds that all ready have contracts for pollination, all seem to be in good shape with no seen problems, i don.t know if i should or not, the guy that has them is wanting to retire next year and travel thats the only reason that he tells me he is going to sell them. what do you folks think i should do, the cost for each hive is $100.00 is that a good price. i don't know i built all the ones i have now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: To buy or not to buy

If the equipment is in good shape,,,you didn't say,,,I guessing double deeps,,no disease,,,,,,,,,,,,I paid 75.00 for a nuc w/ laying queen. Got 5 frames and the bees,,,that was it. Has the honey been harvested? What would it cost you to feed them if they are short? Still might be a good price though,,,at least around here.
    good luck
    Rick SoMd

the equipment looks in good shape and he has not harvested honey yet, they all have two medium suppers 10 frame when i went and looked at them, the honey was 75% capped in 90% of the hives, all were pretty well full. I'm thinking he just does not want to deal with it anymore. all most to good to be true, I'm in central IL.

I bet you could turn around and sell them for a profit if you wanted. A hive around here is $200 without the honey or place to put them.

Thats a great deal according to the prices around here, I wish I were in a position to get them. I think $100 each is a super good price for a hive of bees. Get them while you can.

Best,

casper_zip

That's a heck of a deal.

Don't think. Just do it. You even have a running pollination contract.:-)

Buy them. Even if the bees die it sounds like you could extract and sell the honey in the 2 supers each hive has and break even with the equipment being free.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

buy,buy,buy

ok, i will buy. i talked to him today the deals still good, Now where did i put my wallet?
    any one got 1500 bucks i can barrow?LOL

I will be buying this weekend getting contracts moved over to me ( not really sure how to do that) guess i will find out

Do you have bees now or have you in the past? If you are inexperienced it may be worth your time and money to pay more for the hives with conditions that the fellow you are purchasing them from will teach you what he knows.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Hold on. If he wants to really get out of beekeeping then he will be willing to sell you his extractor and incidental equipment as well. See if this is so and find out what he wants for the whole kit and caboodle. You'll wind up doing much better probably. OMTCW

Even though he is retiring. He may be happy to give pointers and show you around in the beeyard at times.

Would not be supprised if he wants to retire from the lifting and commitment, but still have bees in his blood.:-)

You may even offer to supply him with free honey for personal needs. It would cost you very little, but may give a lot of goodwill and knowledge in the future. What goes around etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    Hold on. If he wants to really get out of beekeeping then he will be willing to sell you his extractor and incidental equipment as well. See if this is so and find out what he wants for the whole kit and caboodle. You'll wind up doing much better probably. OMTCW
    I would like to buy everything, but i don't have that much money i can part with right now, he said that he would hold onto it till i can buy it from him.

and as for the honey for war story's, i offered to give him honey for free,as long as he is around(life) for some pointers on what to do or not do. as for the money part for me i don't even know how to market honey, or sell to stores yet he has told me he will help me start out.

Sounds like a really good situation.

He probarbly have all the contacts you need. Also, neighbours and friends will most likely be wanting to buy from you when they hear that you'we got bees.
    Not to mention that the old beek probarbly have some regular customers that may turn to you for honey.

If you can sell direct to consumers, you'll get the highest prices per pound. And if so, you are likely to turn a profit the first year.

That would be great if i could make a profit. this all came by me at a chance i was talking to one of my customer's at work (my daytime job) i saw he had a beehive in his yard i asked him how long he has had bees and he said to dam long to remember and the conversion went from there ended up talking to him for 3 or 4 hours about it. the people you run into in this world. Priceless

Man, $100.00 per hive, all the capped honey still on the hives, equipment in good shape, bees are good to go, etc.

What a deal.

Sweet.