Feeding honey

Thread: Feeding honey

Default Feeding honey

I harvested some honey today with the intention of feeding it back in September or so. I have a top feeder with the middle access and a tank on either side. What is the best way to feed honey back to the hive? Should I use the hive top feeder or a different method? I have some spare medium supers but no deep to put a boardman feeder in.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feeding honey

Well, of course the best way to feed the bees is to leave it on for them. Next would be to place frames of honey above and beside the brood chamber.

Since you already have it extracted, put it back in the frames, recap it and give it back.... J/K

I was told you could feed it back in a top feeder. However, you would have to add water back to it to thin it out so it would be an effective feed in a feeder. I was also told you could possibly also use a division board feeder without adding water to it.

I'm sure others have more first hand experience with this....???

Later, John

Feeding honey to bees is an excellent method of spreading American Foulbrood. The practice runs contrary to best practices and could spread disease within your apiary, even when the diluted honey has been boiled. Most people would recommend eating the honey and feeding refined sucrose or some types of diluted high fructose corn syrup (if available in discount bulk). Also, honey is a strong bee attractant and may stimulate robbing

Why was it you took it to just give it back again?

Maybe I should invest in a division board feeder. I do not know how to draw comb and cap it. Actually I wanted the frames to open up the broodnest. The honey is to be fed to the same hive I collected it from. If it is healthy is there reason to be concerned about AFB?
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”