Queen question

Thread: Queen question

Question Queen question

About how many days after swarming should the new queen be laying. My hive swarmed on July 12 and I don't dare mess with the hive until the new queen should be laying. Thanks for any advice or guidance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen question

About a month after hive swarms, it should be "safe" to confirm queen is producing brood.

Thanks for the tips
    Nebraska hunting
    NH

The queen should be laying with in 2-3 weeks of swarming if they don't throw another swarm

I think that it depends on the amount of *nectar* being brought into the hive. Two weeks would be very soon, four weeks a tad late.

Velbert is also right about the "other swarm" contingency.

30 days is a good estimate for them to requeen and have her laying. With a swarm, the queen is about ready to emerge from the cell, if she hasn't already. that cuts down at least a week. I'd say 3 weeks at the max and she should be laying.

Question Re: Queen question

Should I remove any queen cells from this day forward or leave them. I saw what looked to be a queen cell on TOP of the bottom brood chamber (only one).I know its not normal to put one there, but not impossible either, it was totally covered with bees that were reluctant to leave even with smoke.... Thats why I don't dare to remove any Qcells. they are very active and doing just what bees do so I think the new queen is in there somewhere.
    QUESTION: if the top brood box is honey-bound, should I remove 4-5 frames and replace it with new foundation? Or, how do I alleviate a honey-bound condition?

Some times if there is a hatched virgin in the hive and there is other queen cells I have seen them gather round a queen cell like that to keep the other queen from fighting her also have seen where the queen in the cell was about to hatch and the bees were keeping her from crawling out. You should watch close for a swarm.

once i raked the bees back and poped open the half chewed capping and out shot the queen she ran out didn't act like a newley emerging queen she bursted out like she was being held captive also I watch one that was sticking her tounge through the half chewed capping the bees were feeding her.

if there is plenty of open comb in the bottom for the new queen to lay in would leave alone for now

I wait 3 weeks after a swarm and at least 4 weeks after giving a queenless hive open brood.

Hey Velbert, enjoyed the web site and the photos. Thanks for sharing them. I'm not sure I want to know about the worm in the human brain though....