Who stole my honey account? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who stole my honey account?

Well, we certainly can, as we are. Great exchange of ideas. baby steps. maybe I will catch up w/ you eventually.

I have been shipping cases of 5 lb jars of honey to manhattan, NYC,NY. I have been using an empty box that caps came in. I line it w/ styrofoam insulation and partition between each jar w/ same and cover the lid w/ same. The last box, which was the 4th box in the last six months, arrived at the address w/ two broken jars. I'll try the bubble wrap the next time.

Yes, priority mail w/ insurance. UPS standards require being able to drop the box at least 3 feet and have 75lbs dropped on it. And I think they test these limits every time. The three times I used UPS to ship to a customer in Queens they broke the jars before they even got to the city and then the next case they delivered to the guys garage broken andthe third made it. They've stopped ordering from me.

I give them the signs.

Wow, that newsletter is quite a production. very nice.

p.s. we probably aught to keep a low profile. the big guys will probably think that we are packers and not beekeepers. and packers aren't really admired, ya know.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

if I was a packer I would make more money and have to work less. 5 out of 7 nights I sleep on the couch as my wife is pissed that I got home too late and I smell like bee smoke.

I would switch to the 5 pound plastic jugs. Tape the lids up tight and there ya go.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I just got my first account . I went into the local health food store too look around (ok so I was hoping to sell them honey), started looking at their aromatherapy section and asked her "Do you have any lemongrass oil?" she replies oh yes here it is, superior quality, yada yada. I say "I'm sure it will be fine it's just for my honey bees" She says You've got bees do you sell honey we lost our last supplier all his hives died. If all sales went this way I'd be sold out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    If all sales went this way I'd be sold out all the time.
    Manage your honet supply or you will be out of stock and then you will lose your account to the next guy who has honey. pace yourself and think ahead.
    Mark Berninghausen

Default Re: Who stolled my honey account?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    There is a great book called "When $hit hits the fan". Great read. He talks about sellers getting to laxed and thinking the customers are now theirs. Not the case.!
    I tried to "google" this book from Amazon.com

There are several titles. Who is the author?

Thanks,

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I have yet to sell my first pound of honey, but I've been a big gardener for decades. I have observed the hobbiest just kills the sideliners as the hobbiest aren't profit motivated, they just want to make enough that their hobby stays under their spouses radar. In the mean time the sideliners/small operators get killed competing with "NFP" hobbiests.s (always wantred to use that icon..;-) )

I've helped a lot of these "NFP" hobbyists get started. They tweak my insecurities as they are potential competition to my sideliner operation.

But in the short run, their hives swarm and don't produce any honey. Their bees die and they're buying nucs and complaining how much this hobby costs. They get stung a few times and they don't want to work their hives, then the mites kill off the bees. Then they're storing their hives in the garage so they can get a fresh start next year. Then the wax moths move in and they pass their hive bodies on to the next "NFP" hobbyist.

I've also worked very, very hard at being the leading novelty in our community. When people think bees, they think of me. I'm glad to help someone get started, but most of these "NFP" hobbyists are short-term beekeepers.

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

OK, I appreciate the profile a "High-Odds-A -Short-Termer". As a 2nd year hobbiest, some of them fit and most I've avoided. But I appreciate the insight of vet, as it really helps point out the potholes not listed in "the books/youtube".

If your coming in as a hobbiest, and get some surplus honey that you decide to sell, check out local prices, and don't try to undercut them because your just trying to "help pay for your hobby" You'll be doing yourself and fellow beekeepers a disservice. For example, say you have 50 lbs of honey and sell it for $4 a lb when the other guys are getting $6. Yeah, you'll sell out easily, but what if you get a little more serious next year and have 500 lbs to sell. Now you think a little more about expenses and time involved. You'll have to raise your price 50% to get the going rate. I've seen the same thing happen when I used to make stuff for craft fairs. Some people don't mind sitting home working for 25 cents an hour, but it sure hurts the guy or girl trying to make a living at it. I know you could argue about free market and all that, but don't sell yourself short.

the free market isn't an argument. people are free to charge what they will, people are free to pay what they will.

To suggest that certain groups of people agree on a price or even a range of prices is not only un ethical, but illegal.

(the suggestion isn't illegal, but the actually doing it is)

to bee honest, I think I have seen prices listed by folks that I think are way too high.

I instead suggest that people look at your local market and see what the averages are, figure out your total costs and then settle on what you think is a fair, reasonable price. Don't let anyone push you into something you don't want to do.

First and foremost you need to consider your expenses and desired profit margin when selling anything. bee it honey or horseshoes.

the guy down the block can sell for $20/pint and the guy after that for $2/pint. That's their business.

Maybe when all is said and done, I might sell a pint for $8.00. Who knows. whatever price I sell for, if it's the best price I feel I can sell for.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

One needs to decide if they A. just want to get rid of their honey or B. want to act like they are in business. Being in business means trying to make profit.

So, in part, I don't care a whole lot what others are charging for their product. I try to figure out what it costs me to produce, package and distribute my product and price it accordingly. I'm going to miss some sales, but I'm not Beekeeper to the World.

My product appeals to those willing to pay the price for it, for whatever reason they have. And my honey can be on the shelf right next to something less expensive and it will sell. Maybe not as fast at times, but I am in this for the long run. Not a quick sale. I am in the business of building a market for my product. And, while doing so, I hope I am bringing the price of honey up.

I know someone who sells honey for $16.00 per quart at a Farmers Mkt. In the same Mkt is someone who sells theirs for much less, less than half that price I believe. They both sell honey. They both make sales. Tell me now, which one is making more profit?

Are you selling more than just honey or what? Decide and price accordingly. have fun.
    Mark Berninghausen

They both sell honey. They both make sales. Tell me now, which one is making more profit?
    One might think they can tell by the sale price, bu the truth is, without knowing the expenses they have, it's impossible to know how much they are profiting.

the guy with the lower price might have a sweetheart deal to get bottling supplies for dang near free. If he does, he can lower his price accordingly and still make the money he wants to make on each jar.

This is why I don't base my prices on anything but my own evaluations and what the local market will bear not other honey sellers. The people around will let you know.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Okay, let's say everything being equal, which one will make more profit? My point is, that even if seller A., w/ the higher priced honey, sells less honey than Seller B., seller A will make more profit. Tho I am sure somebody will disagree. You can price yourself out of a mkt.
    Mark Berninghausen

ok, pretend all things are equal.say they have what, 100 pints of honey to sell. They guy with the higher price will indeed make more in profit. it will likely take him longer to realize it as it will probably move slower.

When a person actually sees the money can be big part of how they use that money to be more productive and operate more profitably.

The guy with a lower price might see lower total profit, but he will likely see it all more quickly, enabling him to use that money to invest in resources or pay bills that are due now thereby keeping him active and productive sooner.

If I have to wait longer to realize my profit, but that profit is needed sooner to keep activity for the current season going, which I consider to be profitability. I may as well not have that profit if it cannot work for me when I need it to.

lot's of things that go into the equation to determine one's profit and their profitability.

Big Bear

I think it depends very much on the amount of honey that are to be sold. A big operator may want to sell cheaper than a small one. The correct price as I see it, would be one where you end up having almost no honey left just before the first harvest.

It may be smarter to sell some of the honey to a packer and have a higher markup at local sales, rather than lowering the local price.

Selling to consumers involves more work, so the price has to cover the time and materials spent on packing/marketing/delivering/stands etc.

Sorry if this was brought up in an earlier post, but I'm taking a cue from a local producer and going with fancier containers and up-charging on that, rather than worrying about price per weight unit (although that certainly has to be taken into consideration). This person is putting his honey into "fancy" containers and charging a premium for it--e.g. $6.95 for an eight ounce Murth jar. He also does a nice job with his labels, using a different one for the type of honey it is (e.g. "Wild Flower") and then tells a little touching story about how it is a family owned operation--like how his kids are involved with it. I suppose you could call it "yuppie" marketing--whatever it is, it seems to be working. He sells it in higher-end specialty food shops and gift stores.

Smile Re: Who stole my honey account?

Muth Jars seem all the rage. I suspect the repeat customer will be limited unless they are for gifts. Still if it help move honey at a premium price, "that is a good thing". Yes, I'm going to do some MJ's for the Thanksgiving traffic.

Good luck finding any--seems like they have disappeared from the face of the earth!

This thread is fantastic! I've learned a lot from all of you so for that, many thanks.

I got about 120 pounds of honey this year, my third. The first year's top bar hive experiment sucked and my three hives in 2009 knew I lived in Atlanta and not Chicago so they gave me no honey at all.

This year I broke through. I will be expanding up past my seven hives (hopefully into the 20 range) and taking my honeybee education from there.

Of my 120 pounds, fifty are spoken for as bribes to neighbors and gifts to those who I judicially deem worthy. The rest I was going to sell...and that's where the trouble starts.

I'm already oversold. My mother in law mentioned to the lady pouring wine samplers at Trader Joe's that their bread would go well with MXR's honey. The wine pourer passes on her name and address so I can turn her into a regular client. She will pass my info around TJ's because all the store staff are going to want to buy some. Friends find me on Facebook and want to buy for their families....and on it goes.

I can blow mine out at a premium in 1/2 pint, pint, and quart jars. My honey is raw and contains no pesticides, treatments, chemicals, or paint inside the hive. It's organic without me applying for the "Organic" process.

Being oversold and seeing the opportunity to sell more honey, I'm looking to buy raw honey from other beekeepers in my neck of the woods to resell it. I guess I charge what I can get for it but it sure would be handy to know where to start the negotiations for Raw, Organic honey.

I'll be staying away from farm stands and all of that but going direct. If I trip across a few stores looking for honey, I'll see if they are worth the effort.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge!
    Basic, elemental / instinct to survive
    Stirs the higher passions / Thrill to be alive

You cant call your honey organic. You dont know if the bees visited flower that where sprayed with something. Bee carful with what you call it.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast