Heavy flow.

Thread: Heavy flow.

Default Heavy flow.

Looks like our heavy flow will continue a little longer.

We had the third most rain on record for the month of June in West Michigan. It has made for one heck of a honey flow and mosquito flow as well. We have been having heavy showers and then several days of record high temps already this July. Just had a storm blow through that dumped a ton of rain and moved on now we are back to blue sky and sun. It knocked one of my top covers of and with the ventilated inner cover gave the hive a good soaking. Hopefully the brood and eggs are ok.

Last year my new hives were lucky to draw out both hive bodies and start a honey super before the season ended. This year they have already filled drawn both hive bodies and filled a honey super. two have filled two honey supers and one has filled three honey supers. And these are all packages I installed in April.

Anyone else in West Michigan seeing the same thing? And as I am only a two year beek is this what I should expect for the most part? I was a little un prepared I guess as I only had enough supers to put two on per hive figuring they would be like my hives last year. Now I have to extract to get empty supers and I am waiting for foundation from Dadant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Heavy flow.

Life is rough ! We'el keep you in our prayers.
    Raymond

In S.E. Michigan, we have had similar weather patterns. 2 out of 6 new package hives already have a second super placed on them. Another two are coming right alone with almost full (first) supers. What a season! (But I must agree that the mosquitos are unbelievable.)

I just put a second super on one of my 2 hives. The bees are from new packages installed in April.

I would get the foundation from Walter Kelleys so you wont have to wait! I got tired of waiting for foundation from Dadant and called kelleys and had my foundation in 2 days!! I had a buddy of mine wait 2 mths for a kids bee suit...He called else where and had the suit that week! I dont know what has happened to dadant anymore but i sure wouldnt wait thats for sure!

I have one overwintered hive that I split late may. On the parent hive are two filled med. and 2 partially filled med. What an incredible year for Michigan! For the first time that I have noticed the farmers are letting their mint and alfalfa bloom, usually it's cut just as they bud out.

Same here on the other side of the big pond. Alternating rain and hot weather keeping the alfalfa and white clover blooming. I've never had first year packages yield like this. Started with a super pollen crop in spring and never let up. Two or three supers on some first year hives. Total opposite of last year where nothing went right. The nature of agriculture.

>>>For the first time that I have noticed the farmers are letting their mint and alfalfa bloom, usually it's cut just as they bud out.<<< Here, the rain has prevented us from cutting earlier. Cut mine for first time this last week, way overdue...

I hope we have at least enough rain to keep the flows going into the fall. I'd hate to see a July-August heat wave with little rain. Cross your fingers!

MM

We're not in Michigan, but along a similar latitude I expect--south-western Ontario, just south of Owen Sound.

I have one hive, a captured swarm from last year, that is on its fifth deep super as of today.

Smile Re: Heavy flow.

Dutchbee, I am just across the pond from you in South Central Wisconsin, and I have 5 new two pound packages (in April), and I just this afternoon put on the 5th super on one of the 5. The others are at 2, 2, 3, and 2 supers. Needless to say I am a "happy camper"! Clover, alalfa, Black Locust, wild flower seem to be readily available this season. The hot and drier summer helps too. The 5 super hive got a good start this spring as I fed back to these new packages 3 or 4 frames of honey and with all drawn, dark comb, and that Queen must have taken the ball and ran with it....lol.....5 supers is a first for me.....so good luck to all..
    WD9BB, Chuck

Here in Northwest Lower Michigan is the same story. After all the drought and cold weather of the last few years, I'm starting to remember what a great nectar flow looks like. The Basswood trees have stopped humming now and the bees are moving on to the mother load as the purple star thistle (my favorite weed) is starting to go. The bees are coming back fat and my Warres are stacked four and five high! Little difference between the new (this year's were started with 4.5 lbs. of bees) and the established hives....they're all rockin'!

It is starting to get a little dry, now, though....so I'll pray for rain!

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com
    Last edited by beez2010; 07-12-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added word "lower"

We certainly have had a nice season so far. I can't complain, that's for sure.

Shhhhhhh! You'll lower the price of honey with this talk of great crops.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Thumbs Up Re: Heavy flow.

I tell you I am pumped right now. The forecast looks great several days of warm dry with a few days of mixed rain. I am thinking it will keep things blooming nicely. I am not at the 5 supers some of you are at but I think it is completely possible for me to end with at least 5 supers per hive this season. I now have one on 4 and two on 3 and 5 on 2.

Now I wish I had 20 to 50 hives running to super up. Hope it holds for up good.

Quote Originally Posted by beez2010 View Post
    Here in Northwest Lower Michigan is the same story. After all the drought and cold weather of the last few years, I'm starting to remember what a great nectar flow looks like. The Basswood trees have stopped humming now and the bees are moving on to the mother load as the purple star thistle (my favorite weed) is starting to go. The bees are coming back fat and my Warres are stacked four and five high! Little difference between the new (this year's were started with 4.5 lbs. of bees) and the established hives....they're all rockin'!

It is starting to get a little dry, now, though....so I'll pray for rain!

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com
    I'll pray for you. We have been drenched atleast every two or three days. Just as I think we are drying up we get a heavy shower. Go Baby Go.