Cut Comb Prices? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cut Comb Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by soupcan View Post
    Why do you not market the uncapped cut comb sections???
    I sell entirely to other beekeepers who add their label. I want every cut to be perfect. They always come back, the orders increase every year, and it's all sold already. With all the bees I have to deal with, seconds aren't worth bothering with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

yea, some grading is nessisary. Uncapped is ok. make sure its clean. it tends to attract stuff fast, and make sure your weight is acurate. Heck, this day and age pollen is desired in the comb. I have started running a few directly over the broodchamber to get some pollen stuffed in there. Some people love it........some don't. If you have store account deliver a case of 80% pure white pretty finished stuff and the other 20% uncapped or with pollen or otherwise off grade. Ask the dept manager to keep tabs for a few weeks (this may require a bribe of bottle of mead or other treat) see whats moving.

Question Re: Cut Comb Prices?

I sold over 75 super to the beekeeper this year. Avg. honey weigh this year per. super was 33 lb (nice super). Was sold out by late Aug. They ask me to produce more, but it really cuts into producation. Even at a $100 a super I don't think it's worth producing. Comb honey accounts for only 3/4% of my producation.
    Really is it worth the time to produce comb honey???

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Really is it worth the time to produce comb honey???
    Not for $100/super. $5/cut is $200/super. Now we're talking bucks.

Micheal,
    what do you package in? p.m. you too

Standard 4 1/8" plastic cut comb boxes packed 12/cs in cardboard. W/O labels.

I package cut comb in plastic deli type containers I purchased from Betterbee 2 years ago (bought a case of 1,000). White plastic bottom and clear top. I don't think they sell them anymore. I get 10 from a perfectly capped medium frame, less if not perfect. Net weight for each one averages 5.5 oz. I sell each for $5.00 and sell out every year. That's $15.00 per pound. If you do the math that means a perfectly capped medium super produces 10 per frame x 10 frames x $5.00 is $500.00 per super... Needless to say that it's been well worth my time.

- ekrouse

I must say ekrouse I find your math impossible, you say you get 10 cuts from a medium frame, or do you mean 10 from a medium super? each piece is 4x4 so just wonderin ?

Honeydew. My cut pieces are not the 4x4. The packaging I got from Betterbee is only about 2 1/2" x 4". I cut each medium frame horizontally (that's the 2 1/2") then five vertical cuts, one at each end and three equally spaced. That makes 10 pieces out of a perfectly capped frame. Hope that helps.

-ekrouse

OK thank you ekrouse now its clear..., To answer the original question I sell only retail and get 10$ apiece for basswood sections and have no prob. getting it, but it is only small amount a year just to much work for the return.
    Honeydew

Hello,

Where do you buy your packaging for the cut comb? I am looking for smaller packs, to sell at farmers markets and the like (in the future....OK distant future)

Thanks
    Dan
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    While I agree about all the extra expense and the sometimes disappointing results, I think it's still worth producing some cut comb honey. Rather than look at all the combs that didn't get completed, I like to look at the combs that did.

For example, this year I put on just under 300 cut comb supers. Most got filled, but many weren't saleable. A little drone, a crack, pollen, uncapped...whatever. If you do the math, you'll see that only about 1/2 of the comb was saleable. But, I did manage 5,800 beautiful white cuts. At $5/cut, a sizable income from my cut comb supers...not to mention that I melted and sold the honey from the usaleable combs for $2/lb.
    Put all of your uncapped frames back into a strong crowded hive. Feed the hive the honey from your unusable combs with a hive top feeder. Just crush and strain then put it in an inverted jar so you can keep tabs on the progress. Chances are they will pack and cap the rest of the frames very quickly. This also works if you can't get your bees to draw out cut comb during the flow. Just extract, then super one of you best hives with a cut comb super over the queen excluder (remove any other supers). Feed everything they will take as fast as they will take it. They won't have time to pack in pollen, walk all over the comb, etc.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

We sell for 12/pound at the farmers market.

MikeJ,

It depends on your location and business model. We sell a lot of candles and lip balm so we need the wax. That, combined with the fact that we live in a semi-urban area, there are not a lot of bee keepers of that can produce cut comb in volume. I price at $20 per 8 oz. However if you are in a more rural area, the economics of industry would not support that. In that case, I would be closer to $5.00. Supply and demand.

Jay
    Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Thumbs Up Re: Cut Comb Prices?

Nice to see the old thread back.

Wholesale by the super price is $165 (beekeeper supplies the super)
    Wholesale price is full cut (4x4) $7.50 Retail price $11.
    Wholesale price half cut (2x4) 4.00 Retail price $6.
    Retail all scraps at $.50 a bite.

Only a $65 increase at 7 years later (I was so young 7 years ago). Still not at the $200 a super price though.

Cut comb still only 3/4th of a % of your production?
    Almost every year I think of trying to do some cut comb. It would have to be shallows up here I believe.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 11-11-2017 at 04:07 PM.

The going price around here, for cut comb is $14.00 (fits in those plastic containers) a lb of honey goes for $10.00, Chunk honey $12.00 / lb a piece of comb in a lb jar with honey.

I run out of it by August usually, chunk and cut sells out fast.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

We sold out of a limited supply of cut comb 4x4s (14 Oz or so) for $20 each at a Fair in September

I sell cut comb at the markets. It's not my biggest seller but sell 10- 15 per week ( Sunday only). I do charge $48 per kg. I use 500ml take-away containers at 16 cents each and label. I do weigh each container and round to 50c. I find the $5-7 containers sell the best. It also adds something to stand and to show people what honey comb is. I believe it is worth doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12