yea, some grading is nessisary. Uncapped is ok. make sure its clean. it tends to attract stuff fast, and make sure your weight is acurate. Heck, this day and age pollen is desired in the comb. I have started running a few directly over the broodchamber to get some pollen stuffed in there. Some people love it........some don't. If you have store account deliver a case of 80% pure white pretty finished stuff and the other 20% uncapped or with pollen or otherwise off grade. Ask the dept manager to keep tabs for a few weeks (this may require a bribe of bottle of mead or other treat) see whats moving.
I sold over 75 super to the beekeeper this year. Avg. honey weigh this year per. super was 33 lb (nice super). Was sold out by late Aug. They ask me to produce more, but it really cuts into producation. Even at a $100 a super I don't think it's worth producing. Comb honey accounts for only 3/4% of my producation.
Really is it worth the time to produce comb honey???
what do you package in? p.m. you too
Standard 4 1/8" plastic cut comb boxes packed 12/cs in cardboard. W/O labels.
I package cut comb in plastic deli type containers I purchased from Betterbee 2 years ago (bought a case of 1,000). White plastic bottom and clear top. I don't think they sell them anymore. I get 10 from a perfectly capped medium frame, less if not perfect. Net weight for each one averages 5.5 oz. I sell each for $5.00 and sell out every year. That's $15.00 per pound. If you do the math that means a perfectly capped medium super produces 10 per frame x 10 frames x $5.00 is $500.00 per super... Needless to say that it's been well worth my time.
I must say ekrouse I find your math impossible, you say you get 10 cuts from a medium frame, or do you mean 10 from a medium super? each piece is 4x4 so just wonderin ?
Honeydew. My cut pieces are not the 4x4. The packaging I got from Betterbee is only about 2 1/2" x 4". I cut each medium frame horizontally (that's the 2 1/2") then five vertical cuts, one at each end and three equally spaced. That makes 10 pieces out of a perfectly capped frame. Hope that helps.
OK thank you ekrouse now its clear..., To answer the original question I sell only retail and get 10$ apiece for basswood sections and have no prob. getting it, but it is only small amount a year just to much work for the return.
Where do you buy your packaging for the cut comb? I am looking for smaller packs, to sell at farmers markets and the like (in the future....OK distant future)
"...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
Henry David Thoreau, Walden
We sell for 12/pound at the farmers market.
It depends on your location and business model. We sell a lot of candles and lip balm so we need the wax. That, combined with the fact that we live in a semi-urban area, there are not a lot of bee keepers of that can produce cut comb in volume. I price at $20 per 8 oz. However if you are in a more rural area, the economics of industry would not support that. In that case, I would be closer to $5.00. Supply and demand.
Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Nice to see the old thread back.
Wholesale by the super price is $165 (beekeeper supplies the super)
Wholesale price is full cut (4x4) $7.50 Retail price $11.
Wholesale price half cut (2x4) 4.00 Retail price $6.
Retail all scraps at $.50 a bite.
Only a $65 increase at 7 years later (I was so young 7 years ago). Still not at the $200 a super price though.
Cut comb still only 3/4th of a % of your production?
Almost every year I think of trying to do some cut comb. It would have to be shallows up here I believe.
Last edited by MikeJ; 11-11-2017 at 04:07 PM.
The going price around here, for cut comb is $14.00 (fits in those plastic containers) a lb of honey goes for $10.00, Chunk honey $12.00 / lb a piece of comb in a lb jar with honey.
I run out of it by August usually, chunk and cut sells out fast.
Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.
We sold out of a limited supply of cut comb 4x4s (14 Oz or so) for $20 each at a Fair in September
I sell cut comb at the markets. It's not my biggest seller but sell 10- 15 per week ( Sunday only). I do charge $48 per kg. I use 500ml take-away containers at 16 cents each and label. I do weigh each container and round to 50c. I find the $5-7 containers sell the best. It also adds something to stand and to show people what honey comb is. I believe it is worth doing.