I finally installed a nuc in my observation hive that I had been working on since November. They've been in there a week so far and are doing well. Keep in mind that there are 75+ employees here who walk nearby this entrance so I can't afford to have anyone stung so I put the entrance 12 foot above their heads. Any hint of swarming activity and this hive will be split.
The hive itself was bought from Orr Bee supply. I changed a couple measurements that were off, then added glass, plexiglass, upper vents, beefed up the door hinges, added lift handles, widened the entrance, made the entire quick disconnect hinge system, set up the entrance/exit through cinder block, and had it painted to look like just another vent pipe. Overall it was a challenging excersize, and I do not consider myself a very good wood worker. So far it has been doing well with no problems. I'm hoping to take the front cover off permanently but I am proceeding cautiously at this point to see how they act.