My New Observation Hive!

Default My New Observation Hive!

I finally installed a nuc in my observation hive that I had been working on since November. They've been in there a week so far and are doing well. Keep in mind that there are 75+ employees here who walk nearby this entrance so I can't afford to have anyone stung so I put the entrance 12 foot above their heads. Any hint of swarming activity and this hive will be split.

The hive itself was bought from Orr Bee supply. I changed a couple measurements that were off, then added glass, plexiglass, upper vents, beefed up the door hinges, added lift handles, widened the entrance, made the entire quick disconnect hinge system, set up the entrance/exit through cinder block, and had it painted to look like just another vent pipe. Overall it was a challenging excersize, and I do not consider myself a very good wood worker. So far it has been doing well with no problems. I'm hoping to take the front cover off permanently but I am proceeding cautiously at this point to see how they act.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...vation%20Hive/
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My New Observation Hive!

very nice.....I've wondered how far a bee would travel thru pvc or some type of tube to get to the hive......that's a pretty good distance
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert. Use caution

I know the obs hive they have at Cal-Expo every year has the bees going up a long distance thru the roof so the are flying well above peoples heads. Sad thing is that you really cant see much as its only plexi on one side, so you only see the one side of one frame. Perhaps they should build somehting more along the lines of this so people can see more including the queen. Are you planning on it running at all times or will you eventually bump them up to a reg hive and stick another small colony in there?

Craig

I am planning on this being a 100% observation hive. The queen is one that I got out of one of my hives who was prepairing to swarm. She's 18 months old. I stole her and 3 frames of brood. She's laying well so far but I know she's shown that she's not afraid of setting up swarm preparations so I will be watching her. When I requeen in the Fall I may replace her with one of the queens I'm removing. With the top frame undrawn I'm not too concerned at this point.

Nice setup, looks fantastic.

Well, personally, I'm impressed. I have seen a obs hive like this on here before and would love to do one still...tho I think I'll have to put it in the garage since the wife isn't too keen on it.....yet. Since I was also happy with the nuc plans you drew up as well as other people, care to draw up the plans for this one including the changes you had to make and why they were made? I will make it my summer project. Also, I was curious, in the heat, will they be able to properly vent it? As I stated in another post, my 4 deep hive was bearding so much last night that 3 of the 4 hive bodies could NOT be seen at all because of the amount of bees on it. I know garages get a lot warmer than the interior of the house, does anyone think that will be a problem?

Thanks D!

Craig

that is a freaking huge deer on the wall.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I know garages get a lot warmer than the interior of the house, does anyone think that will be a problem?

Thanks D!

Craig
    Could be. A honey bee's upper heat limit is 115-7 degrees F. A closed up garage in Cal. summer heat and a large surface area of glass which conducts heat both ways, 3-4 times as much as a wood surface. If there is good circulation through the garage then it should be okay but I would install many vents in the Obs hive.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeNnc View Post
    that is a freaking huge deer on the wall.
    I was fortunate enough to get that one last season in Northern Missouri. I'd personally never had the opportunity to take a deer this large. He was moving fast enough that I didn't really get a good look at his antlers, I just knew he and his antlers were bigger than anything I'd ever seen. He stopped with his head behind a large tree when I took the shot but I didn't have time to get nervous. Normally I harvest +/-50 pounds of deboned clean venison from a decent Missouri buck or large doe. I got 83# pounds off of this buck. He was so thick the 30-06 bullet didn't pass all the way through yet hit only one rib.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Since I was also happy with the nuc plans you drew up as well as other people, care to draw up the plans for this one including the changes you had to make and why they were made? Also, I was curious, in the heat, will they be able to properly vent it?
    I can't take the credit for the OB hive enough to draw it up. The adjustments I made were because the frame spacing height was off by about +- 1/2 an inch in a couple areas. Other than Darren at Orr Bee Supply is who made the nuc. It was custom and Darren was really easy to deal with. The easy off hinges, and quick disconnect hose I made were made with measurements that were not precise but entirely custom and "eyeballed". It was more of a challenge than I honestly expected.

As for keeping cool, the hive itself has 5 side vents per side and 3 on top. It's in an air conditioned office. The pipe however is obviously outside and gets warm. The tree I have planted in front is to offer shade, privacy from people realizing its there, and keep the bees flying high, but obviously for the future. There has been some limited bearding on the really hot days at the green PVC "T". I've also got a "clean out" at the bottom of the pipe about 2 foot below where it goes into the wall.

It's got 9, 1/8 inch holes drilled in it to allow some airflow from below. Initially though when I transfered the hive a few hundred bees clustered there because they could smell the hive but didn't continue to search for the actual entrance. I taped it off and haven't opened it up since I'm waiting for the bees orient where the actual entrance is. I hope these holes will allow for some cooling and reduce the bearding but at this point it's not proven. I may simply put some screen in the bottom to see how if that helps.

Excellent job on your OB hive !! Very professional looking, Im sure it will bring a lot of enjoyment. I have wanted one but my wife is no way going to let it happen, she says " if the bees move in she's moving out" after careful thought I think I'll keep her, she's an awful good woman.
    Mike , Proverbs 24:13-14 Eat honey, my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.

Thumbs Up Re: My New Observation Hive!

That looks really nice! Luv the buck too!
    Big T

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Excellent job on your OB hive !! Very professional looking, Im sure it will bring a lot of enjoyment. I have wanted one but my wife is no way going to let it happen, she says " if the bees move in she's moving out" after careful thought I think I'll keep her, she's an awful good woman.
    Mike, I hear ya there. She's already said "No" to an obs hive inside the house too. She's a keeper since she supports me fully in this endeavor. She's even buying bee stuff when she sees it and is working on changing the decor in the kitchen to bees. When I get to a house that has bees in the wall, I love it when they ask something along the lines of "what would you do if it was your house?" To which I reply "I'd cut the drywall down and put some plexi-glass up and make it an observeration hive." Maybe I should go make a small hole in my wall near my bee yard, I'm sure a swarm would find it eventually.

Craig