Odd behavior

Thread: Odd behavior

Default Odd behavior

Yesterday evening I noticed some behavior I had not seen before. It was almost dark and the entrance to both my hives had a bunch of bees hanging out on the entrance. They were still there after dark. I got up at sunrise today and there were bees hanging out again although not as many as last evening. They have never done this before. Usually they are all in the hive 30 to 45 minutes before dark. There may be some stragglers but for the most part they close shop before dark. The only thing I did yesterday was to put the top feeders back on the hives and sprinkle some cinnimon on the inner cover for ants. Not sure if the cinnimon did this or not. I have used it before and did not notice this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Odd behavior

Sounds like they were possibly just trying to cool off. It is called bearding. Sorta like sitting out of the front porch when it's too hot in the house. Try giving them a little ventilation to help cool the hive a little.
    Big T

I thought about that but we had storms in the area yesterday and it was overcast. The temps were about 89 earlier in the day but it was in the 70's in the evening.

I'm in agreement, this is probably just the bees cooling off. I put popsicle sticks under each corner of my inner covers for more ventilation. Good luck, Ken

I had a hive a couple of weeks ago that there were sooo many bees out front, that the double deeps brood chamber and the cinder blocks it was sitting on could not bee seen. I could have made a strong split with as many bees that were out front. Quite being cheap and buy those bees some a/c! j/k

Craig

If its been anything like here, humidity has been almost unbearable which reduces their cooling efficiency.

its not the cinnamon, but maybe the humidity/amount of brood/drying nectar. sounds like an inspection is in order. consider more space. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Humidity could be it. It has been bad here lately. This makes me feel better. I thought maybe there was something strange going on with them.

Make sure they have enough room inside. They will do that when they are overcrowded too.

Big Grin Re: Odd behavior

Hey DS, is cinnimon a repellent for ants or what? Never heard of it being used in beekeeping before.
    Thanks, Todd 64

Quote Originally Posted by ken rice View Post
    I'm in agreement, this is probably just the bees cooling off. I put popsicle sticks under each corner of my inner covers for more ventilation. Good luck, Ken
    Question from a first-year beek... What can be done if I have a hove-top feeder installed? I have one of those plastic, brown, flat feeders with the ends blocked off with white plastic 'screen' sections. My bees are still slowly taking the syrup (especially after the recent (rare for the Denver area) span of about 3 rainy/overcast days). When I intially installed the feeder, I didn't use any duct tape to secure it and found about 100 or so drowned bees that had gotten into the syrup reserves. So, assuming that the feeder need to be on 'tight', how would I ventilate in this setup?

Would I have to secure/tape the feeder to the hive cover and vent the feeder itself? Seems like a hassle, and judging how flimsy this feeder is, I think it wouldn't work very well. (?)

I am hoping that I can remove the feeder and increase the entrance to a larger size soon, but I don't want to invite robbing. This hive is new from package, and started late spring (May), and has a little over half the frames filled in the lone box (no supers added yet either).

Thanks for any tips.

[Edit: I do not have any bearding happening; but I was just asking about this in preparation of that possibly happening in the future, as our summer heats up here.]

Quote Originally Posted by Todd 64 View Post
    Hey DS, is cinnimon a repellent for ants or what?
    Thanks, Todd 64
    It is. I heard about it on a several threads here. If you sprinkle some in the inner cover the ants will avoid that area. This is especially helpful when using a top feeder since it keeps them out of the syrup. I can testify that it does work.

Big Grin Re: Odd behavior

Just goes to show ya, ya learn somethin new every day. Will be given it a try.
    Wundering if its ok to use with honey supers on? Will the honey pick up the odor of cinnimon? Also, i find that my bees beard up on the face of their hives after pulling honey supers. They congregate in the evening and disperse in the morning. This may go on for a few weeks. Placing a empty deep box on
    top of inner cover gives them someware to go. I find their mostly old field bees which only have a week or two to live. If its taking place in the middle of a honey flow, than its just to darn hot for them in the hive. Its also a sign
    that its a strong colonie.

Thanks again, Todd 64

Quote Originally Posted by Todd 64 View Post
    Will the honey pick up the odor of cinnimon?

Thanks again, Todd 64
    Hey, you got cinnimon in my honey
    No, you got honey on my cinnimon
    (If you remember this you are also getting old)

Sounds delicious