commercial vs select

Default commercial vs select

hello can anybody tell me the difference in commercial hives vs select? commercial seems to be 30% cheaper than select thats odd to me usually commercial is a better quality and higher prize in tools and what not.

thanks....dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: commercial vs select

Select woodware would have no knots and the fit as you assemble would be pretty much dead on.

Commercial will have knots but will be sound, fit should be good to fair.

Budget is everthing that's left that will make a hive part. These have larger loose knots and the fit is sometimes poor.

The companies you are buying from will provide you with this information.

The bees don't care how much you spend or save or that their box has a knot or two in it. Almost all are better than a hollow tree.

Save all you can, you're going to need it.

Watch for sales in late summer.

In beekeeping commercial means less money spent. Take a look at commercial bee operations. Not all, but many have supers that look like trash, frames a hobbyist would throw away, and cobbled together equipment. It is hard to make a living with bees and that is how commercial beekeepers survive.

I was happy with commercial boxes that I bought from Miller's. Some of the handholds were less than perfect but they are fine.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Slect is Just like said above less knots in the boards for me economy is way better in the long run. bees don't care just do all you can to keep them from rotting and it will save you money.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    . Take a look at commercial bee operations. Not all, but many have supers that look like trash, frames a hobbyist would throw away, and cobbled together equipment. It is hard to make a living with bees and that is how commercial beekeepers survive.
    It maybe hard for commercials to make a living at bees in a commercial operation, However, most commercials i know practice comb removal. 2 frames for each brood box per year. We know that clean comb makes for healthy bees, and we know that frames with unuseable comb, or comb that has alot of drone comb in it represents $ lost.
    We also know the money we can get back from a renedering company for these dark, drone laden, unproductive frames.
    As well, ones who raise and sell nucs will pull out frames and then replace with clean comb or foundation.
    On an average year I ship out two to three oil drum pallets per year of frames that are stacked five feet high. Get a pretty penny for them too.

Practicing comb removal is something alot of commercials do...
    ...frames are cheap insurance for healthy bees

So true, we used to have a wax renderer in Umatilla, Florida. I only had 25 hives plus my Dad's 25 hives back then but we sent every bit of wax and comb to them. Honeycomb is a chemical sponge that soaks up every bit of chemicals and poisons that stress our bees. In the last decade, keeping brood comb over 5 years is not good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyidp View Post
    hello can anybody tell me the difference in commercial hives vs select? commercial seems to be 30% cheaper than select thats odd to me usually commercial is a better quality and higher prize in tools and what not.

thanks....dan
    Not if you are talking about pine or cypress. I prefer the select cypress from Rossman because I am a hobbyist and like the way they look.

All I ever order anymore is commercial wood. I have ordered from about all the larger companies and I swear some of the commercial boxes from WT Kelley look better than some of the select I have gotten from other companies. Commercial frpm Kelley is the only way I anymore. I have never gotten any from them that was cut wrong, didn't fit and the knots were minimum. I hope this helps.
    Big T

I have gotten some budget and even some commercial hive parts that split readily when nails were driven in. Even with predrilled holes. So, it can mean more than cosmetic differences. If you find a supplier whose less expensive boxes are solid....then by all means...save a buck. But don't jump in too quickly with a new supplier.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I get Mannlake's budget hive bodies and have really never had a problem with them. I ahve even gotten a large quanity of their budget Medium frames and they were fine. The only problem I have had was the last time they sent they sent me (or atleast charged me) for select deep frames and over half of them I had to take a dremel to, to get them to go together. And the wood almost seemed like balsa wood. My next equipment purchase is going to be to a fellow beesource member Gene W. Prices seem great and the quality appears to be good also. (others have already purchased)

Rod