Not sure that this warrants its own thread but I wanted to share my little experience from this morning.
Background: I have two hives of carnolians (2nd yr as a beek) and the one had built up very fast this spring with all the flow we've had. I wasn't very diligent in making sure they had room a head of time so the one hive has been threatening to swarm, thus reason for my need to preform an artificial swarm.
I found a local beek who was willing to supply the extra equipment I needed in exchange for the split. I was elated as I don't have the extra $$$ to purchase more equipment right now.
So I got everything prepared last night and got out in the yard about 7 this morning (it gets windy here so I had to do it early). Still a little bit cool but I knew it would warm up quickly. I setup everything in advance and opened up the hive to find the queen, this was the part I'd been dreading! They girls were quite upset as I didn't use any smoke (didn't want to make it any harder on myself to spot her though)
I looked through both deeps twice with no luck of finding her so I tried as someone suggested and took a frame of brood from my other hive and put it in the hive I was splitting (Supposedly after you put the top back on the queen will come check out the new smells and you'll have her on that frame)
I waited 5 minutes and open it back up only to still not find her on the frame. I gave it a few more minutes but no such luck... I start to despair and then got stung on the shoulder to add to my stress.
I pulled back and took a deep breath! I recalled reading Michael Bush's tips on finding the queen. I pulled out a random frame of brood and thought to myself "you have to believe she is there on that frame". I was looking over the frame and just about to set it back down when "Voila"! There she is smack dab in the middle!
I set the frame aside in a spare deep and proceed to make sure I had some queen cells in the now queenless hive. I keep coming across empty queen cups and only a single large white one (a few days from being capped) with a plump larvae in it.
While I was in there I took the time to remove several frame of capped honey and replace them with frames of undrawn frames/foundation. I put the spare frames of honey in the freezer for later use if needed.
When it was all said and done I felt pretty good about everything. I think if I had to do it again it would prob go a bit faster for sure. I wanted to also thank the community for all its help in my preparation for this. Lots of information I couldn't find anywhere else so I've been reading everything I can dig up on the forums to try and make sure this little endeavor is a success...