Super placement?

Default Super placement?

I know, this guy wants to know where to place a super? On top right? A Local beekeeper say to place a new med super, between my 2 deeps brood boxs to get them moving thru it and to get them started drawing it out for 5 days then put on top.. Its the first time i ever heard of this technique, Here or from other beeks. Anybody else do this technique? Sounds plausible, or just as easy as putting it on top and baiting up, or even just putting on top without an extractor and waiting for them to find it on their own? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Big Grin Re: Super placement?

I have never done this or seen it done. Im not saying people dont do it, I have just never seen it. I put my supers on top of the deeps. I always have but I not so stubborn as to try something new if I thought it would work or improve the way I manage my hives. Well in all fairness, they manage me, I try not to micro manage them. lol
    Big T

Default Re: Super placement?

top,bottom,in the middle...it will make very little difference in the end. they use it if they need it, not before. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I use supers on top of the deeps. If I need additional supers, I bottom super, putting empy supers beneath the ones they are working. I hopefully end up with the full supers on top, so I just snatch them off quickly when harvesting.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I dont think you folks understand what i was trying to say...i dont blame you, they thru me for a loop when they told me this. They put a med. honey super, with plain foundation in between the deep brood boxs...temporarily...just to get them to start useing it, drawing out wax, etc., after a 5-7 day period they then move it to the top like usual, with an excluder under. Anybody else do this to get a hive to start working on a honey super?

That actually makes sense to me, especially if you have undrawn frames. I don't think there will be enough time for the bees to draw comb and the queen to lay in it...

Hell, give it a shot, write down your results and post 'em up here!

Quote Originally Posted by mxr618 View Post
    That actually makes sense to me, especially if you have undrawn frames. I don't think there will be enough time for the bees to draw comb and the queen to lay in it...
    You would probably be very surprised to see how fast bees can draw a super of foundation on a good flow and/or when they need it. I would pass on the "place it in the middle" idea and just put it on top of the brood chamber. If there is a flow/or necessity they will draw it,
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

There may be some logic behind the method--queen scent.

In our beginning beek class, we were advised against using an excluder under the honey supers until the queen had gotten a chance to go "stomp around" on the foundation & get her scent up there. Theory was that let the workers know the new box was part of the hive.

A very successful honey producer in our group starts a medium as a brood box, and once it's mostly filled, moves it above the deeps via a Snelgrove board. The new bees never know any home other than the top. He adds additional frames for about 3 weeks to bulk up the population before the main honey flow. Frames emerge, get cleaned out & backfilled with honey since there's no new brood to feed. He just adds additional honey supers as needed. Once he harvests the honey, he removes the Snelgrove & things are back to normal.

That's pretty radical ! You are splitting the brood nest. It won't matter a great deal with a strong hive and warm June weather. The queen will be slow to cross through the super of foundation, so it will act kind-of-like a queen excluder for awhile. She will eventually cross thru it. It might retard egg laying in whichever brood super she is not in.
    They will draw it about as fast on top IF there is a honeyflow. It is a HONEYFLOW that causes them to draw comb. You CANNOT trick or force them to draw comb that they don't immediately need.
    Raymond

Thanks folks..you have helped me a great deal and i appreciate it very much! Best wishes to all!

Don't do it Mike. Whatever box the queen is in will fill up. And if you don't have a flow going, she'll just stop. It does fill the new box faster but at the cost of complete/total disruption of the hive.

Hawk
    KC0YXI