2010 honey production - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 2010 honey production

the bees have not made much honey in the last two weeks. checked a few yards that were plugged 2 weeks ago foundation was put on and they have not touched it. i think the weather has been a major factor. to much rain this late in the summer. hot dry weather needed here in southern MN. honey prices seem to be holding high according to the bee journal. going to start pulling honey this weekend. looks like a 100 pound average. lost 25 percent after splitting in east texas. seems like you have to work twice as hard just to break even these days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Like they say, you need a good flow to get foundation drawn fast.

Bees are giving me a run for my honey this year. Started production two weeks ahead of normal. Bees are avg. a super a week. Been pulling 600-700 supers a week. At that rate I'm only falling behind by 100-200 super a week. Hopeing to have my first pull done next week. Right now the first pull is avg at 95 lbs a hive. Looks like the second will be better. If the flow stay strong for 3-4 more weeks, should do over 70 ton this year.

Thumbs Up Re: 2010 honey production

Bypass the 70 ton mark today. It's been a long season but well worth it. This year we have hit almost every flow and now that season is coming to the end, I hope they make enough to stay alive until I shake them.

820 hives for the 2010 count.
    This is the year for the books. 170+ lb. APH
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 08-31-2010 at 07:03 PM.

You are giving me a run for my money! BUt last year you slamed dunked me as I was at 30 lbs both here and Wisconisn added togather! THis year will be clost to 200 here in KY.

Thumbs Up Re: 2010 honey production

Rick, Glad to hear that you are having one of those great years too. This is a 1/25 year crops for me. The last time we hit it this big it was 1985. The family was running 1300+ hives at that time.

Rick and Ron-I'm glad to hear you guys are having a great year.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Great crop here, too. Nicest comb honey ever. Lots of yards made 150. Now if I took the 80 pounds of winter stores and blew the bees out on the ground... d:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Great crop here, too. Nicest comb honey ever. Lots of yards made 150. Now if I took the 80 pounds of winter stores and blew the bees out on the ground... d:-)
    Who blows bees when you can sell them. No sence of wasting them.

No rain for the pass 7 weeks and I think the flow dried up. What a run. It looks like 2010 will be remembered best crop in the last 25 years. If you was just getting into bees this year this was not a normal honey crop.

HH, here just north of you the same dry conditions for weeks now, had a huge quick rain the other day but you wouldn't even know it, the ground sucked it up, cracks are 1" wide. Robbing has been unusually bad lately too, had to reduce entrances down on some of my weaker hives. They are bringing in lots of pollen from fall flowers, and some nectar (I can smell it around the hives in the evening), hope they don't eat too much of their honey up before winter. John

well we started over this year due to 100% loss this past winter. We made the decision to not pull the honey off of the hives this year, to give them a chance to build up strong before winter. 3 weeks ago we had at least 1000 pounds of honey on 17 hives. Checked yesterday and was only able to pull 2 gallons of honey off of them. It appears they went through the honey due to the dearth here. We haven't had any rain in i don't know when.

I see the bees packing in pollen right now like crazy so i hope we get some flow.

I checked in the hives and they have lots of brood in there, and are starting to pack honey into the deeps.

Anyway each hive has a medium on it almost full of honey so we are leaving it for winter.
    I am thinking of waiting for another month and a half and then if they haven't filled up the deeps, i'll scratch the caps and put over the inner and get them to pack down in the deeps.

Next year will have to be our year for a crop. But its kool that we got enough honey for ourselves this year.

My guess is that South Dakota will be a little better overall than last year but not by much. Things fell apart pretty quickly out west with central and eastern areas ranging from very good to fair. Its looking like about a "2 can" crop around here and most of it was made by the 20th of July, quality is excellent. There are currently some real moisture concerns around much of the state, a lot of areas went from really wet to really dry in a hurry.

"2 can crop " is that 140LBS, 70 LB per can?.......been a few years since I filled one of those

"Old school" talk. The 5 gallon tins (60 lbs.) that my dad and uncle always used to talk about filling up in the old days. Saying 2 pails somehow just dosent have the same ring to it. At least I think they were 60 lbs. Yikes I hope I dont start a debate about how much those things weighed.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 09-07-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional info

No debate needed, if you say they held 60 lbs I believe you .............but I may have to alter my estimate of the total US white honey crop based upon this..........this would make the world shortage of white honey larger.....and the possibility of a dramatic price increase more likely .....wait I may still have some of those old cans somewhere

5 gallon cans. 60 lbs of honey. weighed lots of them.
    Mark Berninghausen

Late surge here. Thankfully not as much rain for past two weeks as for months earlier. Broke all previous records for rainfall in most parts of Wisconsin for the summer months - here at 27.83 inches for last three months... Spring was early, great buildup, high hopes... Swarming was problem way more than in past years, partially because I couldn't monitor yards due to inclement weather, limited access due to localized flooding, and also because they dang near went stir crazy being contained in boxes for days on end... don't blame them...

Anyway, bit lower in averages here, but okay year - never does any good to complain!

MM

honeyhouseholder.... Pretty sure I bought honey from your parents that year....remember some of you guys were in diapers! Oops told my age! First year I bought honey from them was 1983 as we had a bad drought and went to honey festival in Oh and met someone who had bought honey from your parents and was selling it. Beautiful honey. If I remember correctly ..also bought alotin 1986 as that was a horriable year here with no crop at all(bad drought and late freeze like a couple years ago). Bet I could still find you without a map! My good crops like this one were 1979, 1982, 1987, 1991( i think) and 2001. NOtice its been 10 years. If we hadnt gotten dry in July this one could have hit the 1982 mark....275 lb ave. but my southern yards dried up.

Cool Re: 2010 honey production

Started shaking hive yesterday and pulling leftovers. Looks like maybe another 5 ton in leftovers.
    Wow Rick 275 APH. I'm looking forward to that year. We might do 190-195 APH this year. I'll know by the end of the week when I'm done shaking.
    Bees look very clean and lower mite count this year. Most are shaking out at 6-9 lbs. Glad I'm not having to feed them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast