what breed of bee are you using - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: what breed of bee are you using

fraz-- I'll for the most part echo what others have posted above. Carnis seem to shift gears faster than italians. Even up here where winters are pretty mild our carnis stop laying for the most part May-July whereas the Italians keep more brood through winter. In the spring the Carniolans start brooding up earlier and build faster so they catch up to Italians by the time any substantial flow (and gold kiwifruit pollination) starts in early oct.

I wouldn't consider Carniolans inherently more swarmy than Italians, but greater pace of buildup means you'll need to be on your toes and attentive to the need fro space which can change in a hurry.

An additional benefit with the Carniolans is the tendecy to have a brood break winter interupts the varoaa life cycle which can help with controlling mite populations and may mean less treatments/$ for varoaa control

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Most of the above seems true to my small apiary experience with NWC, yugoslav carnies, Carn (SMR) X Russian, Russian X Cordovan Italian and Minn Hygienic. I would hasten to add that Russians are similar to Carnies but cannot draw comb as well, propolize, and laugh at mites. My favorite bees have been Georgia Italians most like mated to Russian and Carn drones (dark workers). The feral bees I have captured stunk to high heaven in that they succumbed to varroa in 4 months (only 2 swarms). Check out the Glenn Apiaries website, it is a quality business

Me likes them yeller bees. me thinks russians are despickable!

Carnolins produces tons of propilis have snapped a hive tool breaking a lid open on carnolin they are okay for increase survive pretty well and have an okay temperament I prefer Italians though better increase and are consistent honey produces less of up and down years with Italians my personal preference is Cardovan bees good on both side build up and production

Quote Originally Posted by TheYellowBee View Post
    Carnolins produces tons of propilis have snapped a hive tool breaking a lid open on carnolin
    You must of had a hybrid or caucasians, because carniolans are noted for their scant use of propolis. That and that they also cap the honey frames with snow white wax makes them a favorite for comb honey production.

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Here's a web site that may be of help:
    http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/genetics.html
    It's been a while since I've seen a classic carniolan. I had them in my old operation and loved their atributes. So when I ordered queens from Glenn I should of known better since these bees are really a hybrid Carniolan X VSH. what ever the case, I was disappointed that the color of the queens were not black and the workers were quite colored too.

I'm hoping that Sue Cobey will have something available soon. A carniolan that fits the bill down to the T.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I use Italians, and have not found any of the problems that others seem to have with them (ie not shutting down in winter, slow build up, poor honey production).

My hives definately shut down once it gets cold, and most have a very distinct brood break. As for early build up, we are setting up mating nucs from the end of winter and put hives into kiwifruit pollination so early brood isn't a problem, and the honey keeps on coming!!

More than the type of breed I believe that it is important to keep on top of the age and quality of the queens, regular re-queening is the key!!

Of course I do breed Italians so Im sure this will be taken with a grain of salt

Carnies and Buckfast/Carnie hybrid.

Carnies growing at a rate of knots in a TBH. Lots of propolis but manageable

The others are a swarm requeened so have to wait and see.

All very good tempered.. bare hands .

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    was wondering what breed of bee you use in your outfits?
    Mutts.

i use pure Caucasians(mountain grey)

Let me ask somthing here in western North Carolina we have three distinct necture seasons spring around the last of april,Mayfirst of June locust,pouplar trees.Dearth rest of June until about the second week of July Sourwood untill first week of August then last of August start fall flowers.My question is what race of honeybees would think would do the best in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Me likes them yeller bees. me thinks russians are despickable!
    Kudos Rick! I second that opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12