Legal threat to move bees out of town - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Legal threat to move bees out of town

I have a friend that had 50 on his large lot in the middle of dallas. He had a nice queen mating area in there. Also forage year 'round

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Has Hambone been busy in Dallas "borrowing" hives again???
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Here in Maine the state association came up with some "best management practices" that can help the beekeeper in situations such as yours, presuming of course that you are following the practices!

Does your state have best practices? Do you have a state apiarist? I'd talk with him/her before speaking with the town elders. There may be something going on state wide that you ought to know about.

I hope everything works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JL_COG View Post
    *There are six Warre and three Langstroth
    *i am quite close. in my backyard
    *our entire property is one half acre - the hives are just before the sixty by sixty foot garden at the back of the yard
    *currently trying to find out any civil codes (which can be passed quickly i bet)
    *Trying to get a visit with the Mayor at my house (small town) to reason with him and solicit his backing
    As for the civil codes (or even city ordinances), check the date. If they were enacted after your bees were placed, the city will be hard pressed to force you to move them, as they were there legally when the law was passed.

On another note, I'd consider a push to get any standing city ordinances overturned, a'la NYC/ Spokane/ Seattle, and countless others. I'm actually doing this in my small city (right now I have my bees about a mile away, literally feet from the city limits, so I'm legal).

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    I like Michael`s answer
    ditto

exactly what I would do

Its not hard for even the most ignorant of people to kill all of your hives. Such poisonings are very hard to prove and easy to perpetrate due to the widespread use of insecticides. Follow Michael's advice if you like, but get those hives to a new location.

I keep a hive or two in my back yard, 1/4 ac. lot. When they start to get big I'll split them or move them. So far I have had no complaints but I do try to keep it on the down low.

In my village, beekeeping isnt banned, but my zoning is residential, and we are allowed to maintain a dwelling, mutliple family homes and home based businesses. Keeping of livestock is prohibited, but I dont see anything about keeping bees as prohibited. Just to be on the safe side, I registered as a sole proprietorship with the county clerk, and have an instant home based business, just to cover myself.You may want to look into something like that in your town.

Some state laws define honeybees as livestock. If livestock is not permitted in an area and honeybees are considered livestock, then they wouldn't be permitted in that area.

In years past, I was a building and zoning official for a community and portions of the rural area surrounding it. Any time our office sent a letter for correction, a copy of the particular code, zoning regulation, ordinance was included for the citizen to review and see with their own eyes what we were trying to enforce. It is a necessary, but thankless job. If there is an ordinance or zoning regulation, then you must comply. If there are legitimate complaints but no ordinance, then it looks more or less like a civil matter. Choose your battles, but I still like the stack of empty hive bodies as Michael Bush mentioned and vote for that move. Often, we were forced to act on what we viewed as a relatively harmless situation due to a prominent complaining party. I think everybody should work for the public at least once in their lives just to experience it. You don't know what an ear full the attorney may have gotten from an ill-informed citizen complaining about the "swarm" of bees that might probably be wasps instead. I'm not defending the one who sent the letter in any way, but there are two to three sides to every story. For example, a friend of mine's father was the noxious weed director at their county. All it took for a bevy of calls to his office was for one of his staff's trucks to simply drive by a home and next thing you know... the garden is dead because the spray killed it. Even though the truck was simply driving down the road with no spraying happening at all. Working for the public has its unique traits and merits.

I highly recommend you politely respond to the letter and ask to speak person to person with the city attorney. He/she is likely under pressure from someone to act or the letter wouldn't have been sent to you. It may be only a bluff if there is no ordinance or zoning regulation being violated. If he/she can bluff you into acting and removing the "offending bees", then he wins and gets the complaining party off his back. If it's a civil matter, then he/she has no reason to send you a letter unless their office is representing the complaining party. Best luck. Public education is going to help your cause more than any negative actions will.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123