Moving From Nuc to Hive Body

Default Moving From Nuc to Hive Body

I am ready to move bees from a nuc into a 10 frame hive body. Should I place frames out of the nuc into the HB the same way I take them out? And the new foundation frames, to the outside or do I mix with the nuc frames. Also is it better to make the move in late afternoon or when? Any help will be appericated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving From Nuc to Hive Body

If the hive body is going in the same place as the nuc, make the change any time it's convenient. Put the nuc frames in the middle of the hive body, your new frames to each side. Then feed, feed until they quit taking it, or you get the frames drawn out to your satisfaction.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Put the frames in the same order as in your nuc and put the new foundation on the outsides making up the rest of the 10 frames. I usually do mine first thing in the morning. If you do it in the afternoon, just make sure you put your new box in the exact place as the nuc, so the foraging bees know where home is.

Down here in SHB country, i have started putting them exactly the way they were and adding 1 frame on each side of foundation, then inserting a board that blocks off the rest of the hive body and sealing it off at the entrance so they have no access to it. This keeps them crowded enough to grow but not get swarmy and it lets them protect what they have with no problem...If i have a drawn frame or frames, I will go ahead and add those instead of foundation. I just move the board, add a frame...etc etc etc...till they have enough bees and are strong enough to cover 10 frames. Has worked good for me and i got the idea from reading the cloak board method of queen rearing and i think someone on here...
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

It's my (little) opinion to hive exactly the way the nuc came. I had read someplace last year to introduce new frames between, but (for me) that was a disaster - took most of the summer to fill out the original bottom deep, the rest of the year to comb and fill the majority of the second deep and they died late winter/very early spring. I just don't think that frame manipulation from the get-go is the best decision.

If you're on a big flow, there should be some time left to get wacky & let them settle into their new home and neighborhood.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Devdog, I assume this board you insert has to go all the way to the bottom board and to the very top touching the top when installed? Do you also cut notches to cover the space between the top and where the frames hang also?

Yup sure do. It just basically closes it off completely from them, then you move it to expand when/if needed.
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Thank you Devdog and everone else for your help. This is a great web site for new beekeepers.

anytime sir. It has been a big blessing to me i promise. Beeks dont always agree, but if we all did, we still wouldn't get along..LOL. I like hearing the different approaches and then being able to play with each one till i find one that suits me!

I didn't read through everyone's comments, but I forgot to mention I add an enterance reducer for a while.