Losses - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losses

Default Re: Losses

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnston View Post
    What "new disease" would that be? European Fouldbrood? Or something entirely new? Why do you say this? What are the indicaters?

What I mean is Nosema ceranae. I was tested in late August of 2007 and had a zero spore count for Nosema. I was tested in May of 2009 and had spore counts of 2,000,000 nosema spores per bee. Then this winter I got something back from Ag & Markets saying that my bees had a mix of Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae when they were tested in May.
    Even though there isn't going to be any bee inspectors in New York this year, Paul Cappy tells me that we can send our own samples to Beltsville and have them tested for Nosema at no charge.
    I had two yards sampled in July. One showed zero nosema and the other showed 2.5 million spores per bee. I never heard whether they were apis or cerana, unless the results came in the last month while I am away from home.

Jerry Hayes, FL State Apiculturalist or Apiarist told me that these two different findings could be because of the time of day that the samples were taken. So the one that was negative is suspect, imo.

No Apiary Inspection in NY? How current is that info?

Allison Skinner, I forget her married name, demonstrated sampling of bees and testing for nosema at last years Empire State Honey Producers Ass. summer picnic. I believe that Ontario, Canada, Apiary Inspectors are all trained in how to do this sampling and testing and they do it in the field. Why can't NY State Inspectors, when we have them, be taught to do this too? It won't tell you if they are apis or cerana, but what's the diff? Really.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

So sorry about being a little off topic, however If NY is not doing inspections for 2010 how are the folks who do migratory work going to get their inspection for heading out of state or do we just do this under the radar now?

[QUOTE=sqkcrk;525984]I had two yards sampled in July. One showed zero nosema and the other showed 2.5 million spores per bee. I never heard whether they were apis or cerana, unless the results came in the last month while I am away from home.

Jerry Hayes, FL State Apiculturalist or Apiarist told me that these two different findings could be because of the time of day that the samples were taken. So the one that was negative is suspect, imo.

No Apiary Inspection in NY? How current is that info?

Well, I guess that we can just assume that our bees have Nosema ceranae and learn to deal with it. So far, it doesn't seem as devastating as varroa was when it first came through.
    I haven't gotten any really recent info on NYS Bee inspection. I bet Paul Cappy would be very non-commital if you asked him right now. We hardly had any bee inspection the first year that Cappy was hired as Chief because they couldn't figure out what they were doing. I don't expect anything this year.

"I have had n.c. for at least 3 years that I know of"

So have I...nothing new here. I had the best winter survial this year of any of the past 3 years. No, I didn't treat last fall with fumigillian...I did treat for n.c. this spring. Every hive that came through the winter is very strong..
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    So sorry about being a little off topic, however If NY is not doing inspections for 2010 how are the folks who do migratory work going to get their inspection for heading out of state or do we just do this under the radar now?
    I hear that some NY beekeepers are getting their bees inspected in the southern states where they overwinter. I don't go out-of-state so you'll have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    how are the folks who do migratory work going to get their inspection for heading out of state or do we just do this under the radar now?
    Just like many other states do...over coffee at the local lunch counter.

Hive inspections are a joke anyways. Its annoying how they're only looking for something that isn't even a problem. If you can't handle foul brood...just give up beekeeping.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I have been hearing second and third hand reports of alot of losses. What are you folks hearing.
    Mark, any idea of the cause of such high losses? Starvation?

Really no reason to lose such high numbers in northern NY this year. A very easy winter for the bees. Cleansing flights every month of the winter.

The fall flow was almost non-existant, and heavy feeding was necessary. I noticed, as did other beekeepers in Vermont and Maine that I know....there was a late round of brood raised last fall. Maybe from all the feeding. Also, the colonies started raising brood early and produced large clusters...very conducive to starvation...and swarming. I've already fed nearly 5000 lbs of sugar...made into 2:1. Maple/Willow flow is just about finished, and I'm still finding light colonies. Come on Dandelion!! We need some nectar.

Apples blooming in the Hudson valley.

No idea really Mike.

As far as interstate transport of bees is concerned, South Carolina does an inspection before I leave. Last fall I got my "health cert." from NY about a week after I got home from SC. There were a number of years in the 1980s when bees weren't supposed to go to SC from NY, but they went anyway.

I know at least one large NY beekeeper who never got health cert. and went anyway.

Unless federal laws prohibit the movement of honeybees across state lines, can we really be stopped from doing so, legally? How do interstate transportation laws effect bee movement?
    Mark Berninghausen

I found this recent newspaper article searching for news on Colony Collapse:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/apr/...een-september/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12