Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Apis cerana japonica

81K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  jadebees 
#1 ·
My father is gearing up to start his first hive of native Japanese bees, Apis cerana japonica.

They are not as prolific in terms of honey production.

I'm very curious to see how this goes. Not many of us can say that we have kept a species other than mellifera.

#31 ·
Cool pics. It almost looks like a Zen garden setting. I like how they blend the hives amongst the landscaping. They use every inch of space in Japan because land is so scarce and expensinve. The tops on the log gums are different. Each looks like either something they scrounged up to throw on top or its purposeful/artful in a way I don't understand. The old Japanese guy looks like a bee-keeper though.

#37 ·
Update: DISASTER!

Apparently, being on a roof, the hive overheated. Bees could not keep it cool, honey came pouring down, bees came pouring out. Bees are on outside of log hive (as of yesterday). Shade being considered as well as a move off the roof.

It already had afternoon shade. So perhaps the roof is not the answer.

Another lesson learned the hard way.

#42 ·
#44 ·
Enjoyed reading your post, and will look at yall's blog.
I do have a question. Has any of the A. cerana japonica or other asian honeybees been exported/imported to the states?
I wondered how they faired agianist the Varroa mites? SHB if there are any in Japan?
I have a couple hives of mixed A.M. bees, as well being in a swampy area with A.M.M's flying around my feeders and various plants.

#45 ·
I believe japonica is highly resistent to Varroa, having evolved with it. Isn't varroa thought to have arrived in the US from some kind of Asian importation/infestation? So I'm fairly certain that importation of japonica is banned. Plus japonica has little commercial value, as they don't take to Langstroth hives well and are very prone to swarm. I don't know about SHB. If you pose your questions to my father on one of his posts on the blog (just updated today btw), I'm sure he will answer you more specifically.

#46 · (Edited)
I am not sure how the V mite arrived in the states. I will investagate, and look into it. I just a curious fellow. I am an education major (math/science), so I am always looking for lesson plan ideas, that I think students will enjoy.
I can't find much about cerana imports to the states, other than they kill the Giant Hornet, which I have seen in documentories, AWESOME! Those things are scary, I would RUN away fast if I saw one.
I just wondered about the SHB in Japan, since they have closed imports of EU bees. I know they came here via Florida by way of Africa. Florida seems to be a gateway for introducing aliens (non-native animals) to our eco-system. I did not know, if all species of cerana were banned. As I know some species in India are used in honey producton. I enjoyed yall's blog.
Thanks

#48 ·
My understanding is that apis m. do not do all that well in Japan. It takes a lot of TLC to keep the hives going according to reports from my father who has talked to beekeepers in Japan.

I'm looking forward to my first taste of japonica honey, which I understand is a different experience than apis m. honey.

Btw, it's not that japonica doesn't make honey you can eat, it's that it's not suited for large commercial production.

#54 ·
There are a few very nice You tube videos on the traditional Japanese hive. There are rumors of these type hives influencing Abbot Warre in his hive designs.
It would be interesting to set up a Warre hive with the inner parts of the Japanese hive. Said to be a design more than 1000 years old , it's simple, and elegant.
Perhaps wild bees would do well in them, as they are often smaller colonies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.