2011 Super Duty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Super Duty

Default 2011 Super Duty

Anyone seen the newest offering from Ford for their Super Duty? I went truck shopping today.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011superduty/

6 speed trans and a 6.2 V8. I've had their V10 since 1999 because I thought their V8 was undersized. They're making some good offers on 2010's to get rid of inventory. My 350 is 6 years old and it might be the right time to upgrade.
    Regards, Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2011 Super Duty

6.7 Diesel with PTO........:drool:
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

They've significantly reduced the diesel noise on the '11. I might actually consider one if they have also addressed the fumes.
    Regards, Barry

They are using DPF's on most all of the new diesels since ~2007

Combine the Diesel Particulate Filters on the exhaust with the cutover to ULSD (sub 15ppm sulphur content) in 2007 and its not your daddy's diesel anymore.

I'll take a compression ignition engine any day over spark...simpler, generally last a LOT longer.

Lets not forget safety...in a bad accident that includes a fuel spill you effectively eliminate your chance of immolation in a Diesel vehicle compared to a Gasser.

The downside is cost up front....
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

I've been behind Ford diesel pickups enough to know it's not a pleasure, especially during the warm months when windows are down. I'm talking within the last few years. I know they had to redesign their diesel for '11 because it didn't meet the new emissions. So perhaps it will be an improvement from what I've experienced.

I'm not sure what good a 250,000 mile engine does when the rest of the truck is good for 150,000. If you put a lot of miles on a truck, fine. All my work is very local so I average 10,000 miles a year. The body on a vehicle won't last much beyond 15 years around here. That's why I usually don't keep a truck much beyond 6 years for work. Rust is starting to show up on mine now.

It all comes down to cost for me.
    Regards, Barry

I drive more miles which is why its more economical for me.

I've not experienced the body rot issues you describe and we use a buttload of salt up here, some folks use additional "treatments" each year to nuetralize the salt and protect the underbody.

I've never been bothered by the diesel exhaust issue....maybe its because I spend more time at speed and try to be in front of them

My commuter vehicle is a diesel and have not had any issues...even down to -28 degrees. I also use a fuel additive but no plug in....starts right up.

The cost of adding a diesel to a truck is absurd and imo Ford and others are way over charging for the option.

Frankly I'm hoping Toyota will start importing the diesels they've been using overseas for the last 30 years....if they were to do that I would buy one without a second thought
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

Mmmm.... yummy!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I have a 6.0 diesel with 68,000 2003. There was some trouble with the early models of these. Mine is a late year 2003 after the 04 were out. The longlife of this engine according to the dieselstop.com is changing oil regular especially if heavy hauling. Since I bought my diesel the oil companies have had to make changes of getting more sulphur out making all burn cleaner. Hence the spike in diesel fuel prices over regular unleaded gasoline. I like the old 7.3 but like mention in aearlier post they were noisey and smelled awful as the old greyhound buses did when I was kid.My mileage rate is 21.1 mpg
    I have also bought a 2006 VW Jetta diesel that gets 50mpg on interstate. Have a beautiful day. God loves you

I get 11 mpg with my V10. That part sucks, but I have always enjoyed having enough power under the hood to move a 1 ton truck constantly loaded down, with ease. One would have to figure the cost of fuel by the mpg to know if it would offset the extra $7000 it costs to buy a diesel. Unless one is doing a lot of towing, I just can't see it being a better choice over a gas engine. I'd say over 75% of diesels that are in pickups are overkill and never get used to their potential.

Swabby, what size is your diesel truck? What kind of driving are you doing with it? Usually loaded or unloaded? If only a Jetta could carry a half ton load of lumber, I'd drive that!
    Regards, Barry

I have a 02 f250 7.4 has 201ooo miles on it. Runs like a charm and body is as good as new,except for a few scrapes and scratches.Every thing on this truck works and i strongly disagree with someone saying the body last only 150000mi.Irun my own construction co and I assure you I have not babied this truck. It has pulled a10000lb boat 170 mi to the coast many times,towed dump trailers,and a 28ft camper all over n.c,s.c.,and v.a on a regular baises.Iget 18mpg driving around home and can get 21 on the highway if I stay under 65mph.Eat your heart out gass burners.

It's not a matter of strongly disagreeing. Maybe for where you live and the way you take care of your truck, the body will last longer. Like I said, mine is 7 years old and starting to rust. Hmmm, you're also putting 25,000 miles on your truck a year. You won't do that driving around town so you're putting a different wear and tear on your truck than I am. I know a lot of guys that "use" their trucks for work in construction. They drive it to and from work, with about 100 pounds of tools in the back. When I had a SD 250 I was maxed out on the weight with the amount of tools I carry with me. Went to a 350. Hauling that load day in and day out takes a toll on a truck. Is that what you do?
    Regards, Barry

I had an 05 F250 that I traded in with only eighty thousand on it. I do alot of quick stops with idle time in between and then eighty mile an hour runs to the next stop. I carry about six hundred pounds of liquid nitrogen plus odds and ends. The most I ever got out of it was twelve mpg.
    Now I have an '08 and it does handle my needs much better. It drives like a light truck but gets decent milage no matter what I'm doing. It's not the kind of diesel truck I'm used to, but it's okay. It actually handles my stock trailer better than the 05 did.

My truck gets used as a real truck not just trans to or from a job.Theres always materials to be picked up .As I said before I don't baby my truck.About half my driving is in town.I do a lot of towing,tractors,bobcats,boats campers,stuck tractor tralors making delivers,loaded dumsters in my way.The diff is a$20,252 savings on fuel at todays prices at 11mpg verses 18mpg at my milage.

Can it haul 15000 lbs of rock on one load?

Does it cost zip, zero, nada at the fuel pump?

Guess I will stick with my m35a2.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8/100_1912.jpg
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Barry, I missed the part where you mentioned the price of a new 2011 F450.

The dealer where I got my Transit Connect, at the time, told me that he would give me trade in value equal to what I still owe on my 2005 F-450. If that is still true in about 2 or 3 months I may take him up on it.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by FishmanMike View Post
    The diff is a$20,252 savings on fuel at todays prices at 11mpg verses 18mpg at my milage.
    Wow, that's quite a number. Let's see your math.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by FishmanMike View Post
    My truck gets used as a real truck not just trans to or from a job.Theres always materials to be picked up .As I said before I don't baby my truck.About half my driving is in town.I do a lot of towing,tractors,bobcats,boats campers,stuck tractor tralors making delivers,loaded dumsters in my way.The diff is a$20,252 savings on fuel at todays prices at 11mpg verses 18mpg at my milage.
    What truck do you have? Gas or diesel? All paved roads? I need 4 wheel drive every now and then. Or a tow truck. I get 9 mpg w/ my F-450 Superduty Diesel 4 Wheel Drive 5 speed manual transmition. Loaded or empty, trailer and Bobcat or not. Maybe a little better w/ just thye truck, but not miles better.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I need 4 wheel drive every now and then. I get 9 mpg w/ my F-450 Superduty Diesel 4 Wheel Drive 5 speed manual transmition. Loaded or empty, trailer and Bobcat or not.
    I have 6 wheel drive. I get 10-11 MPGs loaded or not. It's a Turbo multi-fuel compression ignition engine so it will run on diesel, gasoline, kerosene motor oil, hydraulic fluid, automatic transmission fluid, mineral spirits and about a dozen other liquid hydrocarbons.

Yes it is loud, and not comfortable, no power steering, too loud for a radio, no AC, but the windshield does open and top comes off. Max speed is 55 mph, but with larger tires they can be brought up to 70 mph.

Nothing Ford builds can even compete with perfection
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Okay, yes, I have 6 wheel drive too. Unless the difference is that you have a third axle.

What kind of truck do you have? Make and model? Do you fill the tank w/ a mixture of all of those types of fuel at one time? Or are you leading us on?
    Mark Berninghausen

No, don't ask him that, he has already tried to hijacked the thread.
    The title is 2011 Super Duty, not "My m35a2"
    He's in a completely different category and most likely all by himself with that truck.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast