What happened to 'Tailgater'? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What happened to 'Tailgater'?

Homesteading Today General Chat Politics section seems to be 99.9% extreme right wing.
    I see enough of that on tv, thank you.

But really, where will Galaxy post?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if the powers that be could set thing sup so that Tailgater doesn't show up under Quick Links-- Todays Posts. You'd have to get to it through the Forums list. That way, those who don't like tailgater don't even know that it exists, unless they look for it.

If that is what it takes to keep it open and unoffensive to those who don't like it, I wouldn't mind. Just an idea.
    Mark Berninghausen

Actually, what pushed me over the edge was how TG was making my current life frustrating. I've started a job which is going to be eating up a lot of my "free" time, and when I get home and have to spend the little time I have dealing with the "bad attitude" that comes out of some in TG, I turned it off.

I figured it was time for at least a break, if not permanent, and what better time to do it than during the time I'll be on this job. When I can no longer imagine the people engaged in discussion sitting around the same table doing it with smiles and laughter, it's gone too far. This forum is my bitter pill. I want it to work, but I just can't figure out how. We've certainly tried continually to clamp down, yet . . .

Regards, Barry

When I can no longer imagine the people engaged in discussion sitting around the same table doing it with smiles and laughter, it's gone too far.

Why has it gone too far? Did America cast off British rule with smiles and laughter? Politics have ALWAYS been bloody.

(I thought Coffee Klatch was the place for smiles and laughter, and Tailgater was the place for folks to vent and destress.)

I want it to work, but I just can't figure out how. We've certainly tried continually to clamp down, yet . . .

Maybe that's the problem. 'Clamping down' is akin to legislating morality, which has never worked since the beginning of time. (When even God can't do it in the Garden of Eden, what makes people think they can accomplish it?)

Barry,
    If it's getting to you, with everything else in life, then it is time to say goodbye to it. Life is to short to have to deal with rubbish.
    Just a thought, with the rest of the forum, instead of reading each and every post and editing it for content, maybe that is when a thread should be locked. And then in a few hours deleted, or half a day, whenever you get to it, delete the thread.
    Sometimes posters have bad days and it shows through the posts. However those that attack or challenge in a bad way should get two warnings and on the third, reduced privledges for a time or banned...

Since you're getting busy, maybe it's time to delegate and let the moderators handle their forums? Isn't that why they are there?

Just sayin...
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Barry, do whatever makes you happy.

If Tailgater causes you stress/grief and you would be happier without it then kill it for good....its your forum.
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

The internet is a very, very big place. This is Beesource. I am here to talk about bees. There are political/religious forums all over the net if you want to go there and post. You could spend your life doing this and never run out of places to post. I always found it absurd such a forum was available anyway. Everyone I ever showed it to could not figure out why it was here either -- on a Bee Forum! For me it was more than frustrating. It was embarrassing...

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    I always found it absurd such a forum was available anyway. Everyone I ever showed it to could not figure out why it was here either -- on a Bee Forum! For me it was more than frustrating. It was embarrassing...
    And yet you posted there on several different threads...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Once or twice...And I am sorry I did...

Unlike Mythomane, I really looked forward to seeing the the threads and posts on Tailgater and never found them embarrassing and we discussed most everything. I honestly was excited that Beesource contained a Tailgater section with its very opinionated contributors. I would venture a guess that with the number of threads/posts that it was the forum that was visited the most, which goes to show its popularity.

The Tiger is on the loose and shutting down the one and only "Bee" Tailgater venue can only encourage other Tailgater venues to open and business will migrate most assuredly.

Hey Barry, I get it. Heck, I get tired of the 'Gator now and again, and I don't have to moderate the dang thing, so if we've finally gotten on your last nerve... well, to paraphrase Chris Rock's bit on OJ: "I'm not saying you should kill it, but I understand."

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    The internet is a very, very big place. This is Beesource. I am here to talk about bees. There are political/religious forums all over the net if you want to go there and post. You could spend your life doing this and never run out of places to post. I always found it absurd such a forum was available anyway. Everyone I ever showed it to could not figure out why it was here either -- on a Bee Forum! For me it was more than frustrating. It was embarrassing...
    I feel differently. I prefer 'talking' about current events with people that I have other interests in common with, moreso than with the random public. I like knowing the political opinions of fellow beekeepers, homesteaders and soapmakers, because their presence in other sections of the forum helps me to get to know them better.

Just asking, 'cause I don't know, but why does it have to be strictly moderated? What if you made it so you had to intentionally log onto Tailgater, so those who don't like it can ignore it? And those who want to go there can? And if someone said something that others didn't like, they could either ignore it, respond to it or log off. If comments got too personal they could be reported to a moderator and then be dealt w/ properly.

Don't show it on the Todays Posts List. Let Tailgater discussions have free rein, except abusive and vulgar language. Let someone else Moderate. Unless you(Barry) want to check in.

Thanks for providing the Forum. I hope you don't shut it down permanately.
    Mark Berninghausen

I just came to check on a post I made in another forum and decided to stop into tailgater. I was pretty confused when I couldn't find any of the threads. I knew what was going on before I discovered this thread, and I've got to say that although I'm disappointed the gater is gone, I totally understand. I think if I had Barry's responsibility of trying to maintain the sort of environment he's looking for here, my nerves would be shot. Life is too short, and the gater turned into a playground for a few heavy hitters with loud ideas. My biggest concern is that people need an outlet and if not given one they will find one. I encountered quite a few occasions when discussions or disagreements from tailgater spilled over into the other forums.

I would have to say that if tailgater is going to come back, it'll have to be completely unmoderated. People just can't help getting so emotionally involved when discussing things that are important.

What ever you decide Barry, I respect you completely.

K

now how bout this weather we're having here up in Maine, ayuh!
    Let's BEE friends

TG has moved underground. To find it, one must go here:

https://beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=283
    Regards, Barry

does that mean that the old content is gone?
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

Only gone from public view.
    Regards, Barry

"I was pretty confused when I couldn't find any of the threads."

Now we know how the girls feel when we move their hives....

I quit going to tg along time ago.....kinda reminded me of a bunch of cavemen with clubs over there....you'll get my point or else.......
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I have participated in many political sub-forums over the years including homebrewing, salt water aquarium keeping, BBQ-ing, and a Mexico vacations. Tailgater was by far, the most civil forum that I have ever participated in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast