Ale yeast?

Thread: Ale yeast?

Default Ale yeast?

Planning now for making some acerglyn after the sugarin' season..and was wondering if my SafeAle yeast would work ok. I don't have plans for that yeast any time soon and would like to use it, but don't want to, if wouldn't be appropriate for an acerglyn. Anyone have thoughts about using ale yeast for meads? Good? Bad?
    Thanks
    Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ale yeast?

should work fine but will not be able to get to any high alcohol levels. You can probably get 8% with the right syrup/water raito. You need a hydrometer to start.

As Fuzzy said, it depends on what you want. Ale yeasts have the lowest alcohol tolerance so definitely take that into consideration. If you use ale yeast in a must that had enough sugar for wine yeast to ferment, you'll have a treacle-sweet mead with low alcohol. If you adjust your starting gravity, you can have a delightful, fruity/estery table mead anywhere from sweet to dry. See the Recipe Formulation section of the Intro to Meadmaking for more information.

Ale yeasts are great and they'll make a fine mead, as long as you know what their limits are. You wouldn't use a circular saw to cut cheese, and you wouldn't use a scalpel to rip lumber.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'v got plenty of hydrometers, so testing and adjusting is no trouble. I just wasn't sure how an Ale yeast might affect the taste. I figured it would have a low alcohol tolerance, from my beer makin' endeavors.
    Again...thanks.

Two years ago I made 2 similar batches of cyser,one with Lalvin D-47 and the other with Safeale yeast.My plan with the ale yeast was to surpass the alcohol tolerence (8% I thought) and end up with a semi sweet cyser.Didn't work.

Starting gravities from my notes
    ale 1.064
    D-47 1.066

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ighlight=cyser

Everyone liked the D-47 best. the ale yeast had a bit of a musty taste but the D-47 was clean and crisp.

I have had much better luck with ale yeast with cider than with mead or wine. my cider results have been mixed, but i feel it was a must lacking complexity, then the yeast.

ale yeast should ferment up to around 12%, a few strains would stop around 8%-10%, but the alcohol tolerance can be made higher by adding more yeast (over pitching).

i have never ben over joyed with the results of ale yeast in mead. lager yeast on the other hand is very good, the mead retains some more honey aroma and flavor, maybe from the cold fermentation?

safale-05 is a rapid fermenter that tolerates high alcohol and low nutrients (for a beer yeast) under a variety of temperatures. It has a very clean to slightly rose ester profile in meads and reveals floral honey esters well. Wyeast Sweet mead, Lavlin D-47, Narbonne and champagne are also good choices.