Make your own foundation without a mill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make your own foundation without a mill

Just tripped over this in the "New for 2010" section of the Brushy Mountain Web Site.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/203/

Cheaper than a mill by far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Make your own foundation without a mill

That's nice to see, I have been planning to make one just like that this winter. From the price, maybe I should be selling them as well, if would be quite happy if I could get $200 for them.

WOW i was stunned!! $325 for a silicone mold? i can see the attraction there and i want one myself but... i wonder how many hives you would need to financialy justify this? 1000? 2000?
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

When its 4500$+ for a set of mills, that seems like a bargain.
    Do the math here -- 2000 hives 3-deep would be 60,000 frames.
    You would need considerably less than that to break even on this.
    There is also the added benefit (perhaps the greatest one) of knowing where your wax came from and keeping a closed system. That alone is worth the price of admission.

I have a water cooled mold that didn't cost anyways near $4500...about a third that with shipping included. After about an hour with that mold, you'd wonder why you wasted your $325..

PSSSS..I have a metal foundation mold i'd sell someone for that price....
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

$325 for something to manufacture something the bees neither want nor need...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I was waiting for that, Michael....

How many hours would it take to make your money back?

I've seen pot holders made out of this same silicone material for $8 at a kitchen knik-knak store. $325 for this product is preposterous.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I agree, that is way too much.

You can build wooden presses for less than that.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

BUT would you pay for a Mill at $600.00
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

from a commercial standpoint NO, from a hobby standpoint maybe cause I like to do hands on work, fix problems, and "get dirty". With the number of hives I currently have and the limited amount of time available, producing my own foundation would not be cost effective.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeperapiaries View Post
    from a commercial standpoint NO, from a hobby standpoint maybe cause I like to do hands on work, fix problems, and "get dirty". With the number of hives I currently have and the limited amount of time available, producing my own foundation would not be cost effective.
    this is not a commercial for mastercard, but....personal satisfaction - priceless. and i think that is behind most beekeepers.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Can you make your own mold with this?

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/catalog/16
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    this is not a commercial for mastercard, but....personal satisfaction - priceless. and i think that is behind most beekeepers.
    I agree, as stated "I like to get dirty" and love the personal satisfaction that comes with hard work, dilligence, innovation, etc. Maybe in a few years when my "day job" is behind me I would love to produce my own foundation...but for now the time is spent cutting and building our own boxes, pallets, lids, and SBB's, wiring frames and tending the bees...if only I had 2 more days a week

that would work fine- if you could get some of that aluminium foundation sold in the'60s for the female model. i dont believe wax foundation would make a clear enough imprint, and have no experience with the "new" plastic foundation. someone here may want to give this a try- as generous as beekeepers are i can almost guarantee someone would donate a sheet of plastic for the test. good luck,mike

peacekeeperapiaries, if you think you are busy now, wait till you retire from your day job. my old boss was a lot easier to work for than i am, and paid better,too

wonder if they make those in small cell size. Also to the person that has the water cooled one how does it work and is the foundation made with it very brittle.

Can you make your own mold with this?

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/catalog/16
    Highly doubtful - as "Silicone Plastique® has the consistency of clay..." or "[is a] putty that has the consistency of cookie dough," the beeswax foundation used as an original will deform under the pressure required to push the stuff into it.
    But this might work: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/silicone-spread
    And this almost certainly should work: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/copy-flex
    You could also use any of the many liquid latex molds available, e.g., http://www.artmolds.com/category28.cfm

I've thought of something like this before. But this spring I'm going foundationless. It's just too much work any other way.
    Last edited by d.asly; 02-03-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by slickbrightspear View Post
    wonder if they make those in small cell size. Also to the person that has the water cooled one how does it work and is the foundation made with it very brittle.

My water cooled mold is sc...no it does not make brittle foundation...much heaveir than the commercial stuff you buy..
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast