Changing out woodenware

Default Changing out woodenware

I am writing my beekeeping plans for 2010. One of the things I need to do is paint or repaint some woodenware.

Can I paint my unused deep and then on the first gorgeous day in Feb, just open up the hive, put all of the frames into the newly painted deep and take away the old box and paint it? Seems straightforward but thought I'd make sure there were no other tricks to know about. I guess the primary rule is to not lose the queen in the transfer.

While I'm asking beginner questions, I'll say that I have a hard time scraping off the propolis during inspections when the frames are totally covered in bees. Am I supposed to brush them off or just not really worry about cleaning off the frames or what? It's getting pretty gunky in there but I'm happy to let them maintain their own house if it's reasonable!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Changing out woodenware

on the first gorgeous day in Feb
    We dont have thoes here

Are you talking about burr comb on top of the frames, I only clean off the frames when necessary to make them fit back together.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I hated to rub it in that we're already looking forward to 70-degree days next month! That's when I get all of my winter chores done.

I'm talking about the gooey propolis that makes it hard to pull frames out and slide them back in. It seems like I could run my hive tool along the faces of the frames except there are always too many girls in the way or it's too hard to hold the frame a scrape at the same time without slamming everyone around in the process. Maybe that's just part of it!

Quote Originally Posted by cjmcharlotte View Post
    I hated to rub it in that we're already looking forward to 70-degree days next month!
    Yeh sure I know you do but it happens every year just remember when you are feeding this summer we will bee HONEY FLOW
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'll say that I have a hard time scraping off the propolis during inspections when the frames are totally covered in bees. Am I supposed to brush them off or just not really worry about cleaning off the frames or what?

! USE THE SMOKER TO GET THE BEES OUT OF THE WAY AND CLEAN JUST BEHIND

If it's 70 degrees, I'm sure what you're discussing will work just fine.

In all honesty, I would probally paint where they sit, bees still inside, but if you want to move them, I dont' see a problem with it.
    Charla Hinkle

Providing the paint isn't all gummed up, make sure the hive bodies don't sweat on your perfect 70 degree day. The least amount of work and aggravation the better for both. Paint 'em where they stand. They'll rebuild whatever you rearrange thus causing more work load.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! http://www.greenanything.net/castle-...oney-farm.html

Ooo. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I would have dared paint them in place but I'll give it a shot! Now I just need the warm day...

if you are going to rotate your hive body, I would place the full body/bodies on the base, and put the empty frames and comb into a newly painted and dry body on top of them. if you have to paint all of them this year, paint after you are done ( a day or 2 later). then repaint the empty body later when you have time, and before you need it for splits, or swarms.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

When I want to scrape off the topbars of the frames during an inspection, I just givem some smoke and scrape along behind them. Never had any real problem with them moving out of the way.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Not exactly about wooden ware but someone mentioned proplis. When I work my hives I carry a extra excluder with me and put the clean one on.then I take the old one back and put it in the freezer.When it isfrozen it cleans up real easy.