Can you make a living with Bees - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Can you make a living with Bees

The best thing about running your own business is that you only have to work half days.

The trick, is deciding which 12 hours of the day to get the work done.

In beekeeping that decision can change day to day.

You've just got to love it or you'll never make it.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am still trying to figure out how to break even. Like the old old joke about losing money on every sale but making it up in volume. Couldn't make any money with two hives, couldn't make any money with six hives, winter losses and all, can I do it with 20 hives? Probably not. At least I am at the point where I can sell a few bees to someone who thinks they can make money with two hives.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I'm a new keeper myself, I think there is money to be made in bees. Not mabye in the first year, but the second you can ... I'd think. I think the fist year is a learning year, and a year to grow your hives. It's about what you retain from learning, and the energy you put back into it. Do you build all your equipment, or buy it?. Did you try to catch wild bees, and propagate them ? Did you pursue this as a hobby, or as a business? I did for both reasons, as part of my farm. It's an added value product, and a hobby to grow and learn with the bees. I'm enjoying it, so I'm content growing it as a future part of my farming business. You alao must grow yourself a market share, does someone want a product your producing? If you put pride to the side, and create a share for yourself you can do it nicely, in small increments. You must be able to produce bees to produce honey. My thought is if you can grow and successfully raise bees, product 1,. Product 2 is honey , a byproduct of bees,. Product 3 , wax, also a by product of bees (1) . The list goes on, and on. Then you have other areas such as pollination, and bee removals, that leads to contracting, if you remove em, can you fix the damage from this, and make a fair living at all these things? I'd say yes if you want to put the energy, and time into it, otherwise, enjoy the hobby, and have some honey in return... my thoughts. Also, you can't loose money on the same, and make it up in volume. The idea of volume is to make a.smaller profit on a.larger volume of sales. Then you increasing your market share, and make more money by volume for increased smaller.profits. you can never make money on a loss. No sales should be at a loss, but at a fair market price, you can increase your sales and profit potential. Then you can sell to certain markets at a higher price point, but retain your base customers also.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It's a typo. He meant 2,000. And the $100,000.00 is Net, not Gross.

"I'm from Missouri. You gotta show me."
    If 20 makes him 12,000, then 200 will theoretically make him 120,000. It wasnít a typo. Now all his assumptions may not work as he scales up, or he may actually have economies of scale and make more per hive. But at least itís a number of hives to theoretically start with.

you can if you have $250k startup and an additional $100k at your dispense when you make one bad decision and lose all your bees. After 10 years if you are smart and diligent you might start making as much money as someone sitting in an office (at least on paper)
    Last edited by Woodside; 08-23-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

If your plan is to make a small fortune in the beekeeping business, begin with a large one...

Went from 65 overwintered double story nucs to 220 ten-frame deeps. I will most certainly make money after almond pollination, nuc sales, honey, and a few queens here and there in 2019. Of course I am lucky in that I am so close to almonds and the price is so good. I also have a good area in which to keep bees. I'm self-employed in my "other" full-time job, but it allows extreme flexibility for me to be able to tend to my bees. I plan on switching over to full-time beekeeping after one or two more years. If I didn't think I could do it, I wouldn't.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345