Fondant recipe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fondant recipe

Default Fondant recipe

I found this fondant recipe on the internet. I don't think that it has anything that will hurt the bees. I'll skip the almond extract. What do you guys and gals thing about the gelatin in there?

I had to move my bees and they are in a lousy place. I already fed each of my two hives about 20 lbs of sugar in the form of 2+ to 1 sugar water, and some pollen substitute but they feel light. It is too cold to feed syrup as I am worried about it dripping on them and chilling and killing them since I feed with one gallon jars inverted and mounted directly over the cluster through an appropriately sized hole in a sheet of plywood. So I was thinking about fondant.

Ingredients required to make the fondant recipe:

* 1 Tbsp of unflavored gelatin
    * 1/4 cup of cold water
    * 1 tsp of almond extract
    * 1/2 cup of light corn syrup (If a corn syrup is not available, you can substitute it with a sugar syrup made with 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy)
    * 1 Tbsp of glycerin (some recipes say itís optional, believe me, itís a must)
    * 2 lbs 10X confectionersí sugar
    * 1/2 tsp of white vegetable shortening
    * Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl and let it rest for 2 minutes to soften
    * Place the bowl in a microwave for 30 seconds on High, until the gelatin dissolves
    * Add the Almond extract
    * Add the corn syrup and the glycerin and stir until the mixture is smooth and clear (if the mixture is not turning smooth and clear, microwave it for an additional 15 to 20 seconds on high and stir again)
    * Sift 1 1/2 pounds of the sugar into a large bowl
    * Make a hole in the sugar and pour the liquid mixture to it
    * Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes sticky
    * Sift some of the remaining 1/2 pound of sugar onto a smooth work surface and add as much of the remaining sugar as the mixture will take
    * Knead the fondant, adding a little more sugar if necessary, to form a smooth, pliable mass
    * Rub the vegetable shortening on your thumbs and knead it into the fondant
    * Wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and place it in a tightly sealed container to prevent it from drying out
    If the icing dries out and harden it can often be revived by popping it into a microwave oven for a few seconds and then kneading it back to life
    Home is where the Air Force sends me.
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fondant recipe

Quote Originally Posted by alexcc1 View Post
    I don't think that it has anything that will hurt the bees. I'll skip the almond extract. What do you guys and gals thing about the gelatin in there?
    Powdered sugar often has corn starch mixed in with it to prevent it from clumping. Corn starch may be an issue for the bees.

Gelatin may also be an issue for the bees.

But most of all, why fool around with all those ingredients when there are other fondant recipe's out there that don't use them? Like this one:

15 lbs of granulated cane sugar
    3 lbs white corn syrup or glucose
    4 cups of water

heat to 242 degrees
    remove from heat and stir until the temperature is 181 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMaj View Post
    But most of all, why fool around with all those ingredients when there are other fondant recipe's out there that don't use them? Like this one:

4 cups of water

heat to 242 degrees
    remove from heat and stir until the temperature is 181 degrees
    I've seen this recipe before, and used it, only difference was it called for 1/2(?) tsp cream of tartar. It worked well and the bees took to it just fine.

So, what does the cream of tartar add to the recipe? I've read a lot of things it may or may not do.

I dont know what you call it but I used a recipet that calls for 16 pounds sugar and three cups water. Mixed with hands, let dry and put on hives.

Is there anything wrong with it. The bees love it.

[QUOTE So, what does the cream of tartar add to the recipe? I've read a lot of things it may or may not do.[/QUOTE]

IT INverts the sugar RDY-B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

Quote Originally Posted by RDY-B View Post
    So, what does the cream of tartar add to the recipe? I've read a lot of things it may or may not do.
    IT INverts the sugar RDY-B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup
    Actually it just accelerates the process... but heating it does the job just fine without the extra catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMaj View Post
    Actually it just accelerates the process... but heating it does the job just fine without the extra catalyst.
    corect as long as the solution is AQUEAUS- RDY-B

Quote Originally Posted by alexcc1 View Post
    I found this fondant recipe on the internet. I don't think that it has anything that will hurt the bees. I'll skip the almond extract. What do you guys and gals thing about the gelatin in there?

Snip

I believe your right about skipping the extract...

Skipping the gelatin would also be good.

If you're thinking of using Karo Syrup... it contains vanilla and that too could be skipped.

Oh! you might skip the glycerin as well.

The acid inversion (cream of tartar) of syrup was a technique used years ago but there are some toxic effects associated with using it.

Just skip down to the recipe posted by SgtMaj:

4 cups of water

...but don't use Karo corn syrup

Or just feed dry sugar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYtGNa6S6c
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

OK Beecourious,
    I made some and didn't use corn syrup. If I don't use Karo, which is corn syrup, where can we find the clear stuff in Our neck of the woods (CT.) BTW, where does the idea that vanilla will hurt bees, come from?

dickm

You guys are a making this way to tough & expensive.
    Sugar only!!!!!
    100 pounds to about 4 or 5 quarts of water.
    Bring to a boil & boil untill it looks like startch.
    Careful not to burn it!!!
    Then pour the hot mixture in to what ever size molds or a candy rim & let cool.
    No need for wires & this other monkey business to hold the candy in place.
    Easier to recycle the left over candy for next years cooking.
    When it gets near spring you can mix ( pour ) your soya flour, brewers yeast or what ever you like to use to help rear brood into the center of the cooling mixture of hot sugar.
    We had a beek that just passed away in the past few weeks that was 88 years young.
    He and many other old timers saved a many a hive over the years with a " simple " candy board in the winter months.
    Not many beeks back then trucked bees up & down the highway to winter bees.

Quote Originally Posted by dickm View Post
    OK BeeCurious,
    I made some and didn't use corn syrup. If I don't use Karo, which is corn syrup, where can we find the clear stuff in Our neck of the woods (CT.) BTW, where does the idea that vanilla will hurt bees, come from?

dickm
    Fondant is easier to buy...

A bakery supply company such as Otto Brehm sells it (in Yonkers). They will also have un-flavored corn syrup.

I have never read or heard that vanilla harms bees.

I've never read that gelatin or glycerin harms bees.

I've never read that Egg-Nog harms bees either.

As soupcan suggests, making candy is simpler... (doesn't contain corn syrup).
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I agree with Soupcan, why make this difficult and time consuming? I make candy with 2 cups sugar, 1.5 cups water, two TBS light corn syrup and 1/8 tsp of cream of tarter (I just shake a little in) and boil to 240 degrees in about 10 minutes after it starts a boil. Multiply for larger quantities. I make small candies in cupcake tins or pour it right away onto the bottom side of the inner cover and let is cool. The bees absolutely love it and it is a good way to feed in central Ohio in January. I put the candies near the cluster.

I have never sprinkled sugar in but that sounds similar.

Pife

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

So, do these recipes make a soft product, or is the end product/fondant hard?
    Happiness comes from within

It is hard to semi pliable. The bees eat it all the same whether hard or a little bendable. I think the key is to watch the temperature with a candy thermometer and as soon as it reaches 240 get it off the stove. I pour right away into the inner cover or into the cupcake tins. Good luck.

I can't wait until I can check on them next. It has been very cold here in central ohio the past week and I am always on pins and needles when it is cold.

Last year I used a cake type fondant and the bees never touched it. They died without eating any of it.

Greg

I have fed fondant only to bee's for several years now,no syrup at all,i buy the ready made stuff,which comes in 25lb box's,is very soft and contains only sugar,water and glucose.

This is the recipe we sometimes use if only a small quantity is needed.

Bakers Fondant

2lbs sugar
    1/2 pint or less water
    1 tablespoon liquid glucose

Heat water, sugar and glucose together until sugar has dissolved, bring to boil, boil to 240f. Put the pan into a sink of cold water and start stirring with a flat wooden spatula. It is important to keep the mixture moving, when it gets harder to stir and has cooled sufficiently to work with hands pour out onto a clen worktop splashed with water, knead the mixture like bread until cool. Wrap in cling film. The glucose keeps it supple.

Also a link to more imformation on feeding fondant below.

http://hirschbachapiary.com/Feeding_...h_Fondant.aspx

Right on "Soupcan". I made 10 pounds of fondant yesterday using 5 pounds each time I mixed it. I heated the mixture very slowly. I used one cup of water, 5 pounds of sugar, and heated it until it just started to boil. (this seemingly took forever). Once I took it from the heat source I noticed that this mixture begins to harden NOW. I re-heated it slowly again and then mixed in about 10 drops each of lemongrass oil and spearmint. After mixing this while hot, and then getting up off of the floor from being overcome with spearmint "gas" I regained my composure and poured the stuff into the top of a nuc with foil over top. This set the stage for what I thought would be a perfect size mold. The mixture never got to the corners of the foil becouse of rapid cooling and I ended up with a not so perfect rectangle. All went well enough for me to do it again and with the same results. I allowed the stuff to cool and wrapped the chunks in parchment paper. (I could have used foil). I am 110% sure the bees will devour this. My daughter and I both had to taste it just to make sure it tasted as good as it smelled.
    Dave

Smile Re: Fondant recipe

Is there a min outdoor temp where you would not open your hive to put the fondant in? Up here in Wisconsin it's generally going to be in the single digits for the next week. I'm assuming the fondant is placed on the top of the frames (like patties)....is this correct?

Checked on my hive this past weekend. Used an old stethoscope on the outside of the hive. Heard the low hmmmmmm of the cluster, pretty amazing stuff!

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris
    take a look at the link i posted in the post above,just above freezing is fine to place fondant,best on an excluder to avoid soft fondant sagging down between frames,if your going to use hard candy then excluder not needed,but bee's need to collect water to use this hard stuff,i always use fondant,not candy.

We have a recipe and video on making fondant on our club web site: http://www.colonialbeekeepers.com

Pete0
    Bena, VA

Quote Originally Posted by WI-beek View Post
    I dont know what you call it but I used a recipet that calls for 16 pounds sugar and three cups water. Mixed with hands, let dry and put on hives.

Is there anything wrong with it. The bees love it.
    I would really like to know if there is anything wrong with this recipe or why you would not use or recommend it. Here is where I got the recipe
    http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/MAKI...Y%20BOARDS.pdf

Thanks for any info/opinions on my candy.

WI-beek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast