Pollination prices - Page 14
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

Had a grower who called me today wanting 180 colonies at 50.00 per on melons. Guess what I told him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

A small apple grower wanted some of my bees for apples at $50 per.

I told him to double it, he said no way.
    Guess what I did?

I really don't know what some of these guys are thinking with offers like that.

Wish our apple prices were as good as yours. $50 is average for WA apples.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post

Guess what I did?

$100.00 is quite a bit higher than anyone I am aware of in NY. But someone has to be pushing the price up. In the Champlain Valley, I believe, the average pollination price is around $70.00. I haven't canvassed all of the beekeepers who pollinate there. I have heard of some really good prices between Rochester and Oswego. A little higher than the Champlain Valley. I have no idea what the Hudson Valley prices are like.

I guess you didn't really want to pollinate that guys orchard, did you? Would you have done it for $75.00? How many hives did he want?
    Mark Berninghausen

I told them the same thing the year I quit pollinating apples....2001. Think about it. Over the years I figured I lost a medium of honey for every colony I pollinated with...even though the apiaries were located within 10 miles of the orchard. At todays honey prices, a medium of honey...40 pounds...is worth more than the pollination fee. Why bother if you're in a decent honey producing area.

Guess what I did?

As someone who has never pollinated apples I find this interesting. I'm assuming the issue is pesticide related as seasonally there should be plenty of time after the apple bloom to get relocated for perhaps basswood or clover? I've seen very strong hives come off of Washington apples into the Dakotas with plenty of time to spare to catch a clover flow. Seems like the only complaint I've heard about apples is the pollen is highly stimulative but nectar is almost non existent.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Here in the northeast I've experienced serious losses from spraying - I believe a combination of fungicide and pesticide. My colonies did not die immediately but went downhill fast, never recovered and died in the winter. I will only pollinate organic orchards now and I charge $125, take it or leave it, I really don't care. But I'm not a big operator with hundreds of hives to place. I still use a trailer and the armstrong method of moving hives.

The USDA study that collected almond pollen to feed back to bees (looking at fungicide issues) found more fungicide present in the pollen collected from the organic orchard Than in the conventional one.

I remember some years ago, allen dick (on beel) talking about using pollen sub to try to minimize the amount of pollen the bees bring into the hive.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

Is it possible to do a quick in and out? That is, pollinating just the "king bloom" with any sort of assurance that no fungicides or insecticides would be used within that narrow window or is that simply not workable for the grower?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

There have been some claims from NY beekeepers that insecticides are used as "inert" ingredients in other sprays. I have no idea how credible these claims are.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

That's what I think happened with my bees. I've not experienced losses in organic orchards yet, admittedly a small sample as I do not look for them, they have always come to me.

I walked away for all of the reasons stated above, honey loss (here $15/lb retail), possible bee loss (local nucs close to $200), no dominate flow afterwards (no big clover, canola, basswood, etc) but a mixed 'wildflower' flow with the exception of black locust.
    I too armstrong and trailer my bees but that was not an issue regarding price.
    One of the biggest hurdles in deciding against $50 per was being located in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country and the pollination price did not reflect that. He is well aware of what it takes to live here and what things cost.
    I want pollination gigs but not at $50 or $75. it's just not worth it.
    The request was for 80 hives, 35 from me, 25 from someone else and his 20.

I can't understand why pollination prices are different for different crops !! If your bees are being rented for a certain time frame and doing the same amount of work on a crop, why is there such a difference in the rate per hive ?
    When you rent anything it is priced at a particular rate and that being said, if someone wants to rent bees for 3 weeks and it is 145.00 for blueberries, I want the same amount for the same work end of story. That is why we only do 1 pollination rental, our honey has more value then a second rental and the swarms you would lose wouldn't compensate for the rental fee given, we can make splits before and after pollination and sell them @ 150-175 each and still make honey off of that hive but if they were to go into a second pollination, they would miss the honey and the "split" would go into the trees somewhere. Granted that it is money in your pocket from pollination and you don't have to sit on the crop of honey until you sell it later, the extra stress on the bees isn't worth the risk for a secondary pollination rental. I am also thinking of putting our prices up next year only because all of our costs are going up.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Is it possible to do a quick in and out? That is, pollinating just the "king bloom" with any sort of assurance that no fungicides or insecticides would be used within that narrow window or is that simply not workable for the grower?
    Maybe some growers would go for that. But I don't know anyone that does. They want as many flowers pollinated as possible. And then they spray a thinning spray and knock some of the set fruit off. Don't ask me to explain that. I don't get it.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    There have been some claims from NY beekeepers that insecticides are used as "inert" ingredients in other sprays. I have no idea how credible these claims are.
    Suspicions would be a better word. No one knows, or they don't want to say, what the inert ingredients are. And there is some reason to suspect that they may be other insecticides. And then there is "tank mix".
    Mark Berninghausen

The request was for 80 hives, 35 from me, 25 from someone else and his 20.
    That's a big orchard for Long Island. I pollinate an orchard with 72 hives. Unless he is running a higher hive per acre ratio than my grower that's an orchard as big or slightly bigger than the one I do. I had no idea. Is that the one in Southold?
    Mark Berninghausen

two orchards, same grower, Riverhead.

Seems like the only complaint I've heard about apples is the pollen is highly stimulative but nectar is almost non existent.
    Our hives are always overweight coming out of apples if temps are 60+ during bloom. I don't know whether its the Apple blossom or dandelion. Washington apples are well done so no problems catching the flow. 5 more weeks till the main flow.

As someone who has never pollinated apples I find this interesting. I'm assuming the issue is pesticide related as seasonally there should be plenty of time after the apple bloom to get relocated for perhaps basswood or clover? I've seen very strong hives come off of Washington apples into the Dakotas with plenty of time to spare to catch a clover flow. Seems like the only complaint I've heard about apples is the pollen is highly stimulative but nectar is almost non existent.
    Perhaps it's timing. Our apples bloom mid-May. Moved out about Memorial Day weekend. Supered when they come out.

Sometimes, not all the hives in an apiary went to the orchard. Not moved because the contract was filled. Those colonies always made more honey than the hives that were moved...I estimate a medium honey lost for every hive moved.

And what really got me...the colonies that pollinated wintered worse than the colonies that didn't move...25-30% loss instead of 10-15% loss. Perhaps Jim Frasier at Penn State is correct about apple pollen and fungicides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    I can't understand why pollination prices are different for different crops !!
    Ben,

Do they teach you nothing north of the border regarding pricing structures within the law of supply and demand? Why are packages within Canada so much higher than in the US? Might it be that the supply side is more evenly balance with the demand side here than there? Do you price every item you "sell" at production costs plus a little profit?

Looks mighty suspicious when you offer blueberries at $50 less than the rest of the crowd! Makes the good and conscientious growers nervous for someone to do so...

Price within the market range. If you can't make a buck doing it then try another angle!!!!!!!!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast