LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray?

HDTV's have S-Video inputs (at least, all the ones I've seen), so you should still be okay.

Go with LCD if you're concerned about energy usage. They're hogs too (although some proposed legislation may curb that soon, at least here in CA) but my understanding is they're not as hungry as plasma.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

We bought a 50" plasma a couple of years ago, and it helps keep the house warm during winter.

Aside from that, we love it.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Thumbs Up Re: LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray?

Dad bought a 54" panasonic plasma for the bar at the start of football season. Only complaint is the glare - very bad at sunset. While they have fixed burn-in issues with plasma and energy issues are getting better, it seems the manufacturers are going towards LCD. Panasonic is the way to go for Plasma.

I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD last night on amazon LN40B630 ($799 free "white glove" shipping i.e. they set it up - connect cable, blu-ray etc.) - it has a semi-matte panel that is supposed to help with glare and is 120 Hz. The reason you would want 120 hz is the refresh rate - movies are shot in 24p - you want your tv's processor to be divisible by 24 so that it helps to eliminate "shudder" - you'll see different processor rates advertised - 60, 120 and even 240, 480, 600hz now - 60 being standard. This only really helps out if you watch a lot of sports or movies.

There is a caveat - some people don't like the faster processors because they aren't used to movies being that smooth. They can look kinda like a soap opera.

There is a difference between 720p - 1080p but it isn't noticeable in smaller sets or if you sit far away from the set. If you are looking at Tv's 46" and up and/or are interested in blu-ray - i'd go 1080p - the cost difference is shrinking and honestly, it's getting hard to find large sets with 720p.

I do have a 32" samsung LN32B460 - and blu-ray's look amazing on it even though it's 720p.

Contrast ratio is also important to me - higher it is, the more colors the set has - blacker blacks, wide range of greys, etc. This number can be misleading, there are a few ways to advertise this and the numbers don't always make sense.
    Comparing side-by-side is always the best - even if under the bright lights at Best Buy.

Sony and Samsung seem to me are in the first tier (the same company makes panels for both) with panasonic right behind. LG and surprisingly, Vizio would be next in my opinion. Steer clear of Phillips and while sharp and toshiba aren't terrible - I wouldn't buy one. If money wasn't an issue I'd go Sony - but since it is for me - I'm a Samsung guy.

Hope this helps someone.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

Barry, your right that is an S-video connection. The type of connections used, in order of quality.
    composite (low quality) single yellow rca conn. SD only
    S-video (slightly better) round with 4 pins inside. SD only
    component (consist of 3 rca plugs, red green and blue) this is an analog HD signal
    HDMI (flat kinda thing) quality very similar to component, however this one is digital.

Now lets get a bit more tech. Your dvd player will give you an SD signal over component, which is the best that unit can do. As far as DVD player quality goes, there are standard dvd players that only put out an SD (480i) signal. Then ther are what we call upconverting DVD players these will not play HD or bluray disc but what they will do is convert the 480i SD signal to a 720p or 1080i HD signal. The caveat here is that because of copy protection many of these units will only put out the HD signal over HDMI. (the HD component HD signal is too easy to copy).
    HD-DVD which is now a dead format, will also upconvert any DVD to HD (again HDMI)
    Bluray players likewise will upconvert regular DVD's most only over HDMI.
    So you have a few options, you can use a compoment cable, with your current dvd player, however you wont gain much quality.
    You could buy a cheap upconverter, and use HDMI cable.
    Buy any cable at monoprice.com, not in a store. (or pay shipping and I will send you one, depending on lenght)
    So next option is buy a used HD DVD player, they are avail dirt cheap and do a great job of upconverting.
    Last option is just get a bluray player, they can be found on sale around $100. Again you will want to get an HDMI cable.

One more thing, I agree with the previous post, at 40-42" it's takes effort to see the difference between 720 and 1080.
    One of the things people tend to overlook when buying an HD set is that you will be watching alot of SD pictures. The cheaper sets may look good with an HD signal, but most of them look awful when watching SD. Panasonic and Samung have the best SD picture.

Barry,
    All flat screen surfaces will reflect light. Both plasma and lcd do.. The trick is to have the angles optimized. If the viewer and the lamp are BOTH lower than the screen or higher than the screen the viewer will never see the reflection.
    Having said that, the plasma manufacturing is all but DEAD. The Lcd has outsold it 8:1 and most manufactures have shut down the plasma lines. There are still many available, but they are already dead.
    At this point, I would strongly consider the newest LCD screens that are using LED backlighting instead of flourescents. They consume so much less power, produce less heat, and should require no repair.

But that is just my opinion -- Fuzzy

Friday night we walked out of the store with an Insignia 42" plasma for a good price. As soon as we left the store I was restless about it. Left it in the car overnight and tried to educate myself some more on the issue. Went back the next day and decided to get the Samsung 40" LCD LN40B500, even though it cost $100 more. I'm pleased with the decision. Last night I was able to get a different antiquated DVD player we had hooked up to the TV using RCA plugs. The picture quality was pretty bad. We went looking at new DVD/Bluray players and was surprised at how much the cost has come down. I payed about $250 for my old DVD player. You can get Bluray for $100. I don't see us utilizing Bluray so will look for an HD DVD player which are pretty cheap. Thanks for everyone's input. I've been out of the loop for many years in this area and found myself suddenly facing way too many options!
    Last edited by Barry; 11-29-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Regards, Barry

I went through the same plight last year at this time. My television sits near our patio doors and we get a lot of light there in the morning. While at Best Buy one day I posed this question to the salesman. He told me to look at the plasma and you could see the reflection of the fluorescent lights on the screen. Then we stepped over to the LCD, no reflection. His direction sold me. Good choice!

You did right with the Samsung!

True. We have a 32" Samsung LCD in the bedroom and a 42" Samsung plasma in our family room.

The HD DVD is curious though. Why on earth?
    Liberty or Tyranny?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm thinking LCD is the way to go.
    Depending on your budget you could consider the next gen of TV's they are releasing....LED.

Lower power consumption and MUCH MUCH thinner.

I saw a couple the other day and the picture quality was very good.
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

Barry,

Again, the HD DVD format is Dead. That war was lost about 8 months ago. The major players all decided to use the Bluray format. So, either stay with standard DVD or go with
    the bluray machines for HD.

Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    Depending on your budget you could consider the next gen of TV's
    When it comes to entertainment technology, I'm quiet content holding the middle ground. I'll let other people pay the big bucks for the latest stuff and I'll catch it a few years later after the dust has settled.

I guess I'm still not clear on the DVD choice. I see most stores sell either HD DVD or Blu-ray. Don't they both produce the same picture quality from a standard DVD? If so, why should I spend more for a Blu-ray? I will not be spending the money to buy Blu-ray DVD's.
    Regards, Barry

Actually most of the toshiba HD DVD players do a better job of upconverting than the cheap bD players do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12