LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray?

OK, it's time to buy a new TV. The picture on the old one is dying. I've done some research on the LCD vs. plasma issue and would like to hear from some of you who already have these what your experience has been. I'm thinking LCD is the way to go. My biggest concern about plasma is the reflection issue. I don't want to have to have all the lights off to watch TV (what little we watch) to avoid seeing glare and reflection. For those of you who have plasma, do you tend to watch with very low light for best picture?

Pros, cons?
    Regards, Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: LCD or plasma?

1. Plasma- images can burn into the screen
    LCD - Not a problem

2. Plasma- much thicker and heavier than LCD

3. Plasma - uses more electricity and generates more heat than an LCD

4. LCD picture quality is just as good as Plasma
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/10 year Bee Keeper

Default Re: Need input from television aficionados

Plasma is the way to go! imo. I can be at my computer and look back at the tv at an angle and the picture still looks awesome!! Ive had it for 2 year's with no problem's I have a 50" 720 p LG hooked up with HD and you can see when some one has a black head on there face.I do run a HDMI cable between the box and the tv and it also make's a huge difference.I also have 2 20" LCD tv very nice picture if you are looking strait at them. But for some reason im never strait in front of them.All the new one's are 1080p.but some say you really can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p or 1080I

Hope this will help you

WE have both. I personlly like the plasma better. With a LCD you have to look at it at a certain angle or the picture will look weird.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Plasma is the way to go, (in my opinion) I would stay with panasonic, samsung, or pioneer. No one else comes close. Another great bonus is no static, ie. no dust collecting on screen.

recently bought sony bravia lcd love it no problem with side viewing or blurring
    Last edited by comb; 11-27-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling

We have an Samsung 40" LCD. The room it is in is very bright but it is never a problem. I think it would be with a plasma. But I think you get more bang for your buck with a plasma as far as size goes.

Average life of plasma before repair work, 6 years, LCD much much longer. In the war of TV formats, Plasma is going the way of Beta VCR’s and eight track tapes.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I am glad you asked this Barry, I always wondered which was best because I am going to get one before long, after reading this post I still aint sure which to get
    Ted

I see no one yet has addressed my main concern about reflection with a plasma. My brother's laptop has screen like a plasma (glass-like) and I can't stand it. Mine is like an LCD which gives no reflection. I don't want to have to have lights off, window shades closed, to watch without reflections. For this reason alone, I'm leaning towards an LCD even though I can't get a plasma cheaper.
    Regards, Barry

Just cheked my plasma for a reflection. I have a sliding door strait in front of it with alot of light comming in. When the tv is off it looks like you would never see a thing. When the tv is on you cant see any reflection. As far as the lifespan I think I heard about 30.000 hrs

Default Re: LCD or plasma? HD DVD or Blue-Ray?

I just hate it! You update one component only to find that none of your other components are compatible! Looks like my DVD player won't work with a new HDTV. Looking into that I see we must make yet another decision as there is not just one industry standard, but two different ones. Beta and VHS are over again!
    Regards, Barry

LOL!! had the same prob!! Congrats on the hdtv. The day after I got mine I went ahead and got a ps3. Great blueray player as well as games and topped it off with sony bravia surround sound. so much for a tax refund.
    Last edited by m.zook; 11-28-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Looks like my DVD player won't work with a new HDTV. Looking into that I see we must make yet another decision as there is not just one industry standard, but two different ones. :
    Wrong on both counts, any new hdtv will have several types of inputs, your DVD player will not put out an HD signal, however it will work with any DVD player. As far as HD DVD vs bluray, the format war is over and only Blu Ray remains.
    Also I have no glare problems with my plasma, ever! As far as lenght of life my panasonic plasma (commerical monitor) came with a 6yr warranty.

Commerical monitor, has the very best components, however they do not have a tuner or speakers. As I have Sattelite service, and a great sound system I would have no use for those things anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    any new hdtv will have several types of inputs
    . . . and none of them match my existing DVD player. So at a minimum I'll have to go buy a new patch cord(s), which could be pricey if it's not a standard item.
    Regards, Barry

I Just saw an LG dvd blueray on newegg for $99.00 UNDER ULTIMATE DEALS and a hdmi cable for like $6.00

All the cables I see are either square are rectangular. My DVD player uses a round plug with 4 pins in the middle. There are no round jacks on the TV.
    Regards, Barry

I can't imagine you have a dvd player with a coax connection. What is the DVD player? brand/model?

We have a 1080p JVC projection TV it works well even with the light on.

If you want to use blue ray get a 1080p television, or there's no reason to get blue ray.
    For blue ray we bought a playstation, watch BR disk & play tiger woods golf.

Have you looked at the new LED tv sets. they use far less electricity. These big sets suck a lot of juice. I haven't seen one yet, but have heard good things about them.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    I can't imagine you have a dvd player with a coax connection.
    I guess it's called an S-video connection. The TV's equivalent is a HDMI connection. DVD is a Panasonic DVD RV-20.
    Hehe, the date stamped on the back is June 2000.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast