Master Beekeeping Certification. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Master Beekeeping Certification.

>>>You should know that being a "Certified Master Beekeeper" is completely functionless. Its just another plaque to hang over you desk...

It also provides a hook and line to pull you into all the 'volunteer' work that Mike Palmer mentioned. Not just to get the certification but on-going.

My wife volunteers me for enough jobs that I did not really want to have on my to-do list.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Given how many places are coming up with anti beekeeping ordinances including my own county in which we spent an entire year working to finally pass more friendly beekeeping zoning, the certification is a help to our credibility to keep managed hives. I think many of us view these certifications as more useful to the non beekeeping public world.

As for community service, IMHO the way I look at that is either that is a core value and part of your make up, or it isn't. Everyone I know involved in teaching and educating about beekeeping and/or doing these beekeeping certifications either at the State level or at EAS are already doing lots of community service in the beekeeping world - it is just part of what they are already doing, not some additional requirement.

For our own State, I have already met the Masters level community service requirements before the guidelines were ever even published just from doing what comes naturally in my hobby beekeeping life and involvement in my club.
    karla

Karla,

I agree with everything you say. In addition, having the certification would also improve your position for selling nucs, queens or packages to other beekeepers.

I just like to pull my own strings. I have done quite a few different types of 'certifications' over the years for my work and found that the certification process does require a lot of study/work outside my main area of interest. Luckily, the Virginia Master Beekeeper program requirements are broad enough that one does not necessarliy have to become expert in every minute facet of beekeeping. One can choose to be just a general practioner.
    Bee all you can Bee!

Default What about Michigan?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. What about Michigan? Can you take a master Certification in another state and stilll be a certified master beekeeper in your own state?
    I think becoming a certified master beekeeper is a invaluable venture.
    The more you know, the more you know you need to know. You know.

Default Re: What about Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnd View Post
    I think becoming a certified master beekeeper is a invaluable venture.
    I don't undestand. I've never worked with a "master beekeeper" that was of any use in a bee yard.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

What use is Master Beekeeping Certification, collage diploma, or other certificate showing specialized training?

I like to think it shows that the holder has the ability to learn. And, if experiencing a new situation they are willing to study it and learn how to deal with it.

Why get certified? Again this will vary with the individual. Some do it for their own ego, some for bragging rights at the bee club, and some for the benefit of their bees.
    Bee all you can Bee!

If I were to stick to my small corner of the beekeeping world there is an awful lot of bee stuff that I would never come across. For example, I (thankfully) have yet to come across AFB in the wild. I've thought of making the effort to obtain certification as a way to improve my knowledge and skills. My wife sees it as a potential marketing tool. Having looked over what is covered in the EAS program I have great respect for those who successfully earn the designation.

Thumbs Up Re: Master Beekeeping Certification.

EAS, Thats why I'm looking at the cert. Marketing tool - possibly. But yes I will agree, much respect to those that have passed the EAS certification.
    The more you know, the more you know you need to know. You know.

I want to do it so that I can learn as much as possible, apply the knowledge and be able to pass it on to others.

At 57 it would be something to be proud of accomplishing. Never went to college though everyone has percieved that I graduated.

Guess I did something right.
    De Colores,
    Ken

I passed the EAS tests on the third try. By far the value of it for me was the study it required. The test takes all day. To qualify to take it you must be recommended by another master beek and have 5 years of experience. The lab is the hardest; Actual apiary exhibition of skills; Oral exam focused on interfacing with the public and of course the written test. This must be passed with a score of 80%. Clarence Collison runs the testing. You would be well advised to get his book "What do you Know."

Food for thought: List all the bee diseases you can name. Name the possible causes of disease. I.E. (Fungus,Bacterium, Virus). Connect the cause to the disease. Now name what stage of bee development they affect. What are the treatments, if any. How are they identified? Name 2 that affect bumble bees.

I do a lot of mentoring and teach a few classes. I think the certification gives my listeners some confidence. I write for Bee Culture and haven't yet got up the nerve to add it to my name.
    The sour-grapes types that demean the certification are likely to be folks that couldn't pass the test. Don't listen to them. Study and take the test.

My 2 cents

Dickm
    Last edited by dickm; 11-26-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Sorry, Duplicate

Dickm
    Last edited by dickm; 11-26-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Double post

I view my Master Beekeeper certification as a badge I can flash to the public - whether code enforcement officer or new beekeeper - demonstrating that I have some sort of credential and am not simply working to my own advantage.

In actual fact, Master Beekeeper is a responsibility, not a certification. If you are not a good sharer, don't bother.

Roger Morse developed the EAS Master Beekeeper program as a way to promote beekeeping via strong well spoken beekeepers with a common set of knowledge. The program remains as such. The tests are hard. Some very good beekeepers still fail each year. Most hit the books again and continue to try until they pass.

We need more Master Beekeepers - I recommend anyone serious about keeping bees to use the program as a way to improve their skills.
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

This is from the EAS master beekeeping oral exam description and examples on the EAS site:

2) Your neighbor lodges a complaint about your beekeeping activities with the local village board. In his written complaint the neighbor states, "Honeybees are hanging around my porch, they're a nuisance. They're building nests in my garage and I can't go out there anymore!" How should a Master Beekeeper handle this situation?

No points given for "Fire bomb the neighbor"

Quote Originally Posted by WG Bee Farm View Post
    What program would "ya'll" consider the most comprehensive and respected Master Beekeeping Program?
    Great question....I'd like to know, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Great question....I'd like to know, as well.
    I am thrilled to have entered the ranks of EAS Master Beekeeper in 2015 and passed two levels of certification at my State as well. EAS is VERY respected almost universally as far as I can tell.
    As far as the most comprehensive program- I think my exposure to the British system run by the BBKA is incredibly comprehensive and very logical in its progression. Practically- it is challenging to pursue the UK program on this side of the pond. If you can arrange to get the first Basic Assessment which requires a BBKA examiner to assess you in the field, the modules are written tests you can take over here with a exam proctor- something those Brits call an invigilator. of course you have to learn the British system and standards as well- not all that different but certainly there are some real differences.
    See: http://www.bbka.org.uk/learn/examinations__assessments

If the BBKA Master is not enough- you can go beyond that to get the NDB- National Diploma in Beekeeping- which I think is also its own stand alone certification. See: http://www.national-diploma-bees.org.uk/

I am not that familiar with GA or FL programs- but they each have like 5 levels up to Master Craftsman I think, so maybe they are in fact more comprehensive than EAS
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeeMan View Post
    What use is Master Beekeeping Certification, collage diploma, or other certificate showing specialized training?

Florida is looking to use such things as proof of continuing education to waive the yearly inspections.

You can read what others have to say above. I think the learning you get from the journey is very beneficial
    karla

Karla,
    Congratulations.
    8 years, 8 hives

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    I am thrilled to have entered the ranks of EAS Master Beekeeper in 2015

You'll have that NDB soon enough Karla. Blow their minds at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast