Moving to the "country"?????? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Moving to the "country"??????

Well, we broke down and signed a contract on the rural spot today for a price I can stomach. However, its not over yet -- the contract to buy that place is contingent on me selling this place. Got to get to work on this place and see what happens.

Most of the stuff that Magnet-Man says could be right, although schools and internet are not problems (won't even change). The drive may prove to not be worth it, but its still really not a bad drive (20 minutes to my office, 25 to my kids school). Mainly, I felt like this was a chance to do something different and that I'd always wonder about if I did not take my shot. Even if I can't sell this place for a reasonable price, then I still took my shot.

Thanks to everybody for the comments. If this goes through, I'm going to have lots of questions about how to do stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Congrats. Hopefully yours will sell in a hurry. I have no clue how the real estate market is doing there, but ours is beginning to rebound.
    Charla Hinkle

You need one of these now. I love mine, even though I don't get to run it as much as I'd like.

http://www.kubota.com/f/PRODUCTS/l2800/index.cfm
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

when you go out walking in the woods and hear this, run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
    Ted

Funny you should say that, but this very evening I was walking in the woods and heard actual banjo music. (I was at a potluck dinner/hot dog roast at the local nature center and they had a bluegrass band.)

Quote Originally Posted by TwT View Post
    when you go out walking in the woods and hear this, run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
    whoa!thanks for that one! I love the dancer!

Re: Moving to the "country"??????

Since I pestered everybody by asking for advice, I thought I would give an update on what's happened.

At first, we entered into a contract to by the house in the country. I was still uncertain about that move, and I put in the contract that we had 20 days to cancel and get the earnest money back. After we signed the contract,my wife and I just got a bad feeling about it and had many doubts. I started having dreams about driving kids to 8 places at once. So we cancelled the contract about three days later.

However, we decided to keep our house on the market, since the government is handing out money and interest rates are so low. Basically, it seemed that it is a good time to move, and we are still cramped as can be in this house.

About three weeks ago, we got a contract on our house and we have a January 29, 2009 closing date. A really crazy detail on the sale of our house is that the buyer used to keep bees. I HAD TO GIVE THEM A BEEHIVE AS PART OF THE DEAL, IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT!!!! Anyway, maybe I'll have another beekeeper friend out of the deal.

Problem was, we sold our house, but we could not find anyplace to move that suited us. My wife wants a decent neighborhood where she can go on walks and the kids can play and be safe (I wanted that too, but that's her main request). We both want a place where we can grow a garden. Also, I'm cheap and don't want to be house poor by having a crazy mortgage payment. In other words, I wanted something that is hard to find.

Lo and behold, we found a house for sale that is not in the greatest part of town (which holds down the price alot), but it is in a fairly decent pocket of neighborhood, good sized house, 2.3 acres including about 1.5 acres of pasture, a shop where I can do beekeeping stuff and its adjacent to a greenbelt and trail system. This place had been out of our price range, but they dropped the price and we made an offer. The problem was that the price drop attracted other buyers, and we got into a bidding war that I thought we were going to lose and/or go above our top price.

But, we pulled it off and now have a contract to buy this place. This is going to be a good place to keep bees. There is a bunch of open space with clover in the area, along with the usual city bee plants. Also, and an area that is about 3 or 4 acres of persimmon trees of all things. I've got plenty of room to keep the hives completely away from any neighbors. Somebody else already keeps a horse in the pasture, so I won't have to keep that mowed and can use the part that the horse is not in for a garden plot.

So this has worked out in the end. I'm going to have country living in the city. And if I can get moved it, Derek's serving bar-b-que on the weekend of the Big Bee Buzz (March 20, 2009) and any beesourcers who go to the Buzz are invited. (I'm assuming Derek's up for this, since he seems up for anything fun.)

The only thing left is inspections, but I'm hopeful.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the advice,

Neil

Merry Christmas Neil and Happy New Year wishes that things will keep going as good as they sound now
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Somebody else already keeps a horse in the pasture, so I won't have to keep that mowed and can use the part that the horse is not in for a garden plot.
    Merry Christmas and thanks for the advice,
    Well, horse manure makes an excellent garden fertilizer. Also, it is my hope and prayer that your new adventure is blessed.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

I didn't chime in earlier, since I was waiting to see what happened... Now I see you actually found a place where you can spread your wings (and allow some bees to do the same).

By the way, moving out to the "country" means more like 10-15 miles away from a small hamlet of perhaps 500 folks, and at least 30-40 miles away from a larger city of perhaps 1,000-3,000 folks.

On the map, look for a place called "Middle of Nowhere". That's where we live. And I like it. But seriously, we have to travel 30-35 miles to get to a good job (my wife does, I am fortunate to only drive ten minutes), and my last remaining child at home drives 35 minutes to get to a good high school.

We like the solitude, and we have great neighbors 1/2 mile or so in a couple directions from the farm. It can get nastly cold, snowy and now rainy (freezing now) in the winter (and a couple of months too long). But the rest of the seasons are fantastic!

Wishing you and everyone here the best in 2010!

MM

Thats terrific Neil. 2.3 is a nice little pad. Not to big to make up keep a pain and not to small to feel cramped. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    So this has worked out in the end. I'm going to have country living in the city. And if I can get moved it, Derek's serving bar-b-que on the weekend of the Big Bee Buzz (March 20, 2009) and any beesourcers who go to the Buzz are invited. (I'm assuming Derek's up for this, since he seems up for anything fun.)
    I'm in on cooking some Q. We will have a great time.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Congratulations!!, Neil
    I wish you the best with your new home. Sounds like the perfect combo.
    BBQ and the buzz sounds fun, can't wait! Since you asked, my bees are doing ok strong colonies good, dinks doing bad to dead should have combined.
    Mallards are flying well, shooting lots of ducks, don't now if I want spring to come or winter to stay.
    Luke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123