Moving to the "country"??????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moving to the "country"??????

I've basically always lived in a city (if you consider Tulsa to be a city - population 385,000 currently).

However, I have located a place for sale that consists of 10 acres with a fairly modest house, zoned agricultural. This property is only about 2 miles from the city limits. However, if I blinfolded you and drove you there, you would think that you were waaaay out in the sticks. It consists of about 1.5 acres of mowed area with post oaks and about 8.5 acres that is pretty much wild, including a .3 acre pond. It has an incredible view that oversees about 5 square miles of rolling hills in the Osage Nation with no roads or houses. There are about 3 houses on the road to the place, which is a dead end about 3/4 mile long.

We would lose the option of having neighborhood kids for the boys to play with, although they are in public schools and could have friends over to visit. Also, this house has some of the more difficult aspects of rural life -- no city services, no police dept., no trash pickup, septic etc. -- and a pretty decent drive to a grocery store or fast food. The one-way drive to work or school for kids would be about 25 minutes, whereas it now takes about 10 minutes to either one. So we would be looking at 30 more minutes a day in the car to go where we need to go.

While I recognize that this is not moving "to the country" for a lot of folks, it would be a substantial change for me and my family. I like the woods, and as it is I feel cramped in town in more ways than one. But this still presents a difficult decision.

Has anybody else made a similar switch to a more rural spot? What did you like/dislike about it? Did you move back to town or regret the decision? Is it worth the drive? Generally, what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving to the "country"??????

Twenty years ago I purchased 200 acres in the country. No water, sewer, or cable TV. Best thing I ever did. Built my home directly in the center of it all. Dear, turkey, rabbits, bobcats, otter, and many other critters have all been seen here in the yard.
    Sadly, the city has now come to me. The nearby city has doubled in size and now has incorporated us.

Do it and don't look back.
    I lived in town for almost a year as a newlywed... It wasn't bad but I wasn't the real me. I see the same spirit in my son even though he's really to young to know the difference himself...
    Do it for your kids and don't look back.
    A good dog and ten acres beats neighborhood kids as a play date any day.
    You'll be so content in your spare time that you won't even notice the extra drive time.

Also, I have a hunch that your mind is already made up or you wouldn't be asking a bunch of BEEKEEPERS whether or not you should move to the country.... DO IT!

I am in a simular deal Neil. Granted our town is a pop of 15k. But city living is pretty much all the same. I bought 5 acres outside of town a couple years ago. Done the test drives and it adds about 10-15 minutes to what we do most. County Law, County Ambulance, ect... but can't wait to build and move. Most of my friends live outside the city and the kids have a better time there than anywhere. There is so much to do. Fishing, ATV's, Build stuff in the shop. When I go out to my friends which is offen. Everyones kids are having a great time. You and your family won't regret it!!

One bit of advice. Low ball the crap out of them. It's a buyers market. Nothing better than getting out of town and for cheap.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Sure sounds like a nice place!

I grew up in the country. When I was 23 I moved to Glendale Heights by Chicago for school. I HATED it. I only lasted for 3 months and decided to go back to the country. My daughters have friends stay over that live in town and they all wished they lived in the country. Now you said "on a dead end road". Go for it and don't look back. You will add years to your life.

Your kids will adjust and love the room to roam, my kids (son especially) is an outdoors kid and love that we live on property where he can roam, shoot, fish, and get dirty.....he sleeps very well at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Sure sounds like a nice place!
    It better be. I need a place to stay during the The Big Bee Buzz.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Neil, I am going to be a wet blanket here. First I know what you do and that you have to go to downtown Tulsa. When I lived in Louisiana I moved out to the country because housing was more affordable and there was more land. I now live in the city close to my job and everything is within two miles of me. My work is only 5 minutes away and I can go home for lunch if I want too. I will never move back to the country as long as my job is in the city. So here are a few things to look at.

1. About 25 minutes drive to take the kids to school? Is that when Rosy Scenario drives or is that when you drive during the actual time you would be taking the kids to school or to the office. What would be the round trip time if your wife had to drive the kids to school and return home. How often would she need to drive to school twice a day, drop off and pickup. How long will the trip be in five years when traffic increases? How much will you spend in gas at $2.40 vs $4.50 a gallon? Don't forget Mom's taxi service will be busy when the kids get older.

2. You will love that country high speed internet. How much work do you do from home now? Can you do it with dial up?

3. There are also hidden cost when you live in the country. Your homeowners will be more because you are not near a fire station. Remember one of the things the insurance agent ask is how far is your house from a fire hydrant and the fire station. Groceries are more expensive if you want to support the local stores, otherwise you need to drive into the city.

Around 10 years ago my wife pushed hard for years for us to move out to the country. I said no and I was not going to do that drive again. Life is to short to spend my time driving to and from work and not having time to enjoying myself when I get home. My son at the time thought it would be "neat". He now says thank goodness you said no. I have tons of friends close by and can see them everyday with out any trouble. My wife? She now says the gas bill would have killed us and our son wouldn't be able to go to Booker T Washington. In 2008, Booker T. Washington placed 65th in Newsweek magazine's list of the top 100 public high schools in the United States of America. There is only one other school in Tulsa that can provide the education a gifted child can receive at BTW and that is Cascia Hall for $10,875 a year. Of course you and I would qualify for financial aid there. The kids there have a lot of disposable income and therefore a lot of alcohol and drug use.

In my book education and socializing of the kids come first. I don't know what county the land you are looking at is in, but you better check out the schools.

Will I move back to the country? I don't know, I would like purchase a few acres and put a small weekend or summer home there if my wallet can afford it.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Hi Neil had to chime in here. Six years ago when looking for a first house to buy I had to drag my wife out of the city "Tulsa" where we both grew up. We bought a house on five acres twenty minutes from tulsa "sounds like the same area" northwest of Sperry. I dont think I could drag my wife back to the city IF I wanted to. My children have loved growing up in the "country". Goats, chickens, Bees, Dogs, Treehouses, Fishing, Snakes, Bugs just to name a few. I have loved living here to. I have a big garden, shoot my bows and guns whenever I want. I have shot a deer on my own land and shared that with my three children. My kids really know how to "play" and that is real evident when other "city kids" come over. Both my wife and I work in Tulsa and the drive "under thirty minutes" is not bad at all. Actaully I like it, It is time to wind down Before getting home. YOU already named some of the issues we do have, which we deal with just fine. We have had to work extra hard to find neighborhood kids, that socialization is important to me. You are right about no fast food or pizza delivery is that a good thing, I think so. overall I love It wont be going back, just farther out. Go for it!!!! Luke

I have a 25 minute drive to work every morning and live in the country--I wish I had more than 2 acres, but am grateful for what I have. I will live here for as long as I can afford to do so--I love it.

14 acres of hobbees here. Just outside city limits. Lack of true zoning can be a downfall, we have an interesting neighbor. Homeowners is not noticeably higher. The best thing we did was plant long term trees FIRST. House can go up in months, trees take a lifetime.

Magnet-Man,

Here is the thing about this house that makes it so tempting -- it is in Tulsa Public. I already got lucky and got my first kid into Eisenhower Elem., and from this part of town, we would pretty much be guaranteed that my 2nd kid gets in there too. And from Eisenhower to Carver and then to Booker T. (BTW, that's where I went to high school). So I could live in the country and still get those schools.

The drive issue is a big consideration for me. It really is less than 25 minutes in theory, I have used that as a conservative estimate. But adding 30 minutes in the car a day is a bid deal. Not that living in Broken Arrow would be any different. (However, I can't understand why people live in a suburb AND commute, which has all the bad and none of the good). Right now, I like having the option of running to the house for lunch and the 20 minute round trip.

I have looked into insurance, and it is higher than in town for sure, so that's a consideration too.

I had not thought about internet. Is it possible to get a high speed internet connection through sattelite. The realtor pointed out the dish and explained that was for internet, but I did not understand what he meant. I figured that if it has phone service it has internet. I will need to look into that. Thanks for that info.

Luke,

This place is south of Sperry, North of Tulsa, West of Turley in that area where there's not much of anything. But its not far from you. Good to hear from you, how are the bees?

Neil

Eisenhower is a mile from my house. Taking my son to BTW is killing us on gasoline and I can't wait till he starts driving. I don't know anything about Carver. Years ago the TPS had a booklet that had all of the stats on the schools. Percentage of students with A, B, C but also how the students body ranked on standardized test. That was an eye opener! Mayo had a very high A and B percentage of grades but when it came to standardized test they were poor. Patric Henry had very good standardized scores and fewer A's and B's. The wife insisted on PH's district and unfortunately housing is very expensive there. I have a friend that lives 1.5 miles away and has twice the house for the same price. I have heard Mayo has improved.

Your land is in an area that Tulsa is not growing towards so traffic load in the future might not be that bad.

Still that drive would kill it for me.

There are two types of satellite internet. One is two way satellite and has more lag between a click and the update. This is because the signal goes up to the geosync satellite back to earth and then back to the satellite and back down to you. the other system uses the phone line for the input, mouse clicks, and only sends information to you via the satellite. This last system has less lag but requires a phone line. Both systems also charge for the amount of data moved.
    Last edited by magnet-man; 10-27-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I lived the first 45 years of my life in towns & cities. Five years ago we moved to a log cabin in the woods, far out in the country. I got bees and my kids got horses. My drive to work is about 70 minutes, provided I leave home by 4:30am so I can beat traffic. Yes, home-owners insurance costs more, as does several other things. I'll never go back. Even when gas hit $4/gallon, I thought it over, and there's just no way I'll return to city living.

It's been wonderful for my kids. Only have two left at home, and I dearly wish I would have made the move years earlier so my older kids would have benefited. Haven't had TV since we moved, and haven't missed it. Internet access is via HughesNet satellite. My kids read, talk to us and have no shortage of things to occupy their time. Plenty of kids at church & 4-H. My teen daughters prefer horses to boys, and that is a major blessing!

But it's not for everyone. There are considerably more chores than when I simply had a subdivision yard to care for. Re-read Magnet-Man's comments - there are two sides and you need to consider both. When my wife and I decided to make the leap, we figured that if we didn't like it, we could always move back to the city. "Worst case" for us was *not* moving, and always wondering if we should have.

Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

We move out to the very small town of Luther (owned 13 acres but lived in town) just before our first born came on the scene and loved it...had all 4 kiddos while we lived there. Would not have traded it for the world and neither would they. Moved back to the city 12 years ago and although I miss MANY things about small town life...what I do not miss is the drive and wearing a vehicle out every 4 to 5 years, still every-so-often we go looking for homes in a more rural setting...

Looking at it on the map...not too bad, very close in. I work with a guy that lives in Collinsville and works at the airport.

You will need to ditch your suits, sell your Prius and get the proper country life attire. Here is a check list I put together.

Cowboy Hat
    Duster
    Belt with your named branded on the back
    Spurs
    Chaps (I recommend the fuzzy ones)
    Boots
    Handkerchief
    Wranglers (tucked inside the boots)
    Plaid Shirts
    Shot Gun
    Large Truck with a 55 gallon diesel tank in the back.
    Wallet that sticks 6 out of the back pocket

Wallet that sticks 6 out of the back pocket
    And is chain driven! Other than that I think that is a very comprehensive list!!

I moved away from Fort Worth about 20 years ago (population was probably similar to Tulsa at the time). I now live 8 miles south of what used to be a small town, but it has grown. I wouldn't trade living in the country for anything I can think of. The 45 minute drive to work is worth every bit of it. Our place is 12 acres, about half is "pasture" or weeds and wildflowers iow. The other half is fairly heavily wooded, and it has a nice creek, that in normal rainfall years, has water in it. If I had my own way, I would live much further out than I do.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast