2nd Place Chili

Thread: 2nd Place Chili

Default 2nd Place Chili

This is a chili recipe that won 2nd place at the Rattle Snake Round Up. (You would think they would use Rattle Snake meat) I didnít come up with this, I just use it.

T=Tablespoon
    t=teaspoon
    c=cup

2lbs chili meat
    1lb ground round
    4t- beef bullion
    2t- chicken bullion
    8oz can of tomato sauce
    6oz jar of Pace picante sauce Medium (I don't think they made the 6oz jar anymore so just buy a jar and just use 6oz).
    1.5t cayenne pepper
    2-3 Serrano chilies
    1.5t ground white pepper
    2t chopped fresh garlic (I use the prechopped stuff in the jar it is fine)
    3T ground Cumin
    1/2C Chili powder (use special mix see below)
    1 med yellow onion

For Chili powder mix evenly these three brands
    Gebhardt-tall bottle with red cap
    Mexene- cylinder shape with blue label and lid
    Spice Island- cylinder shape bottle, brown label and cap.

First you want to dice the onion.

Cook the meat and onion. Then turn off burner and drain off all the grease. Then when you think it is all drained off pat it with a paper towel.

Return meat and onion to med low heat and just cover with water. Add the chopped Serrano, tomato sauce, and pace picante, and both bullions. Let simmer for 20-30 min. Stir ever 10min or so.

Next you want to add the white pepper, cayenne, and simmer again for 20-30min. Stir every 10min or so.

Next add the cumin and again simmer for 30min. And stir every 10min.

Next, add the chili powder, simmer for 30 more min stir every 10min.

One thing that is very important when adding spices you do not add all of them at once. If it is more than one T or t then stir after each T or t. If you try to add all 3T of cumin then stir you risk later getting a bite of a big clump of cumin or chili powder. Just make sure that you stir constantly while adding any type of spice/powder.

The main thing is make this your own. For instance today, I'm using 2lbs of ground pork (not pork sausage) not ground round. You can use deer, or hog whatever you like. To be honest most of the time I do not use the bullion (either one of them). Sometimes I'll cut back on the water and use beer or tequila. If you use tequila use only one you would drink not a cheap one. You are using it to get the flavor not the alcohol, so why use something that is nasty?

And also do not add oregano, you are making Chili not spaghetti.

Also Spice Island makes a chipolte chili powder that is amazing

This recipe does not have beans. Add them if you like. In Texas you are not allowed to have beans in your chili (at the cookoffs anyway)

My apologies for not having the 1st place recipe.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2nd Place Chili

This recipe does not have beans. Add them if you like. In Texas you are not allowed to have beans in your chili (at the cookoffs anyway)
    No beans in chili now how much fun can that bee
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I put them in when making it at the house, just not at the comps. Comps- Beans=0 points. 0 points ain't gonna get me to Terlingua.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

My apologies for not having the 1st place recipe.[/QUOTE]

must have been a mexican riding a goat with an onion a pepper and a pot and kiked every one but lol
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.

Your actually pretty close, but his goat came up lame that mornin so he had to break out the ole faithful El Camino. The goat was in the back though. Didn't see the goat anymore once he started browning his meat.

every one knows you cant ride a bowl of goat lol
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.