Gathering of 8 Bald Faced Hornets on Hive -- Help... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gathering of 8 Bald Faced Hornets on Hive -- Help...

Regarding yellow jackets nests - when you find a nest (hole in the ground). Come back at night with a quart mason jar without a lid. Place it upside down over the hole being careful to not disturb the hole. Watch over the next few days as more and more yellow jackets pile up inside. Eventually the queen will show up and die. You can give your wife her mason jar back then!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ok, I put one out the three days ago just to see what would happen. 2-liter bottle with a couple of holes a little bigger than 1/2" in the upper area. So far not much. A couple of what looks like guinea wasps and a dozen or so moths of some sort. I'm not seeing hardly any flying insects currently other than butterflies, dragonflies, and a few robber flies. I'm not seeing bees of any kind right now around the house. It is currently very dusty and dry. Down the road about 1/2 mile there's an abandoned house with some white jasmine that is blooming...I stopped the other day and honey bees and other nectar seeking insects were working it over pretty good. I did notice some golden rod started to bloom down by a beaver pond/creek about a mile away. I figure when there's more traffic there will be more yj and wasps visiting the trap.

Bait is:
    1/2-cup sugar dissolved in 1/2-cup water
    1-cup apple cider vinegar
    a drop or two of dish washing liquid
    1 banana peel
    enough water added to fill bottle almost half full

Bald faced hornets can be scary at times. I took this picture of a nest on August 4,2009.
    The nest was in a birch tree about 10 feet high from the ground and only a few feet from
    a gravel road. Passing this nest with a mountain bike on the other side of the road sometimes
    still had a hornet chase me for a distance. Even stopping 30 feet from the nest before passing
    it also would still get a hornet coming straight at me. I know these can be vicious. I fear these
    much more than yellow jackets anyday. I once sat down on a rock and killed horse and deer flies
    landing on me. Bald faced hornets then appeared and took these flies away to their nests I guess.
    Lucky for me the hornets wanted the flies and not me.

I'm glad wasps and hornets don't crossbreed with honey bees or
    beekeepers would never be able to handle a frame again without
    gloves.

Attachment 686
    Last edited by Lost Bee; 10-15-2011 at 11:27 AM.

This is a very satisfying video for me. I might have posted this already somewhere, can't remember:

I also used the store-bought traps (the WHY traps), and it caught some YJ and EH but all in the same section! The area for hornets caught 2 honey bees and the wasp area caught YJ and a few hornets. Go figure. Next year I'm just using the homemade traps. Hopefully I get the queens as they're looking for nesting spots.

This guy in the video feeding hornets is braver than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qZyIHZ-W5kA

I hope he doesn't try that on a wild tiger or a bigger hive.

It would me take a case of beer before I would even think of trying that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12