VSH or Minnesota Hygienic - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VSH or Minnesota Hygienic

I like my MH's...they have an attitude everyonce and a while
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I learned a lotd from this thread. I wish you guys would pick it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by bnatural View Post
    Variety is the spice of life. I PM'd Michael Palmer to see if he had any queens available, since I can drive there to pick them up, but did not hear back.

Bill
    Sorry I missed it Bill. When did you write? This summer was wicked crazy, and I guess I missed lots of calls and mail.
    Mike

One thing about Olivarez queens,

thier vigour is real impressive
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I just got a minnesota hygienic vsh hive. I have always had Italians. Very gentle bees.
    My first experience is that they are more aggressive than Italians. I don't mind that because from my experience the more aggressive bees produce more honey.
    I plan to raise both minnesota hygienic vsh and Italians and compare them. The vsh supposedly produce less honey. I will see.
    They seem to be very strong and protect the hive.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 09-05-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I
    I plan to raise both minnesota hygienic vsh and Italians and compare them. The vsh supposedly produce less honey. I will see.
    I kept VSH hives for over 3 years now and halved my honey production in the process.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

I have had a Minnesota Hygienic hive for two years now and tried Purdue Ankle Biters last year and this year. Compared to my locally bred survivor bees, I would not waste my time again especially considering the premium price of the VSH bees (approximately twice that of local bees). It has been my experience that Minnesota Hygienics produce just enough honey to see their way through winter and not much extra. The Purdue Ankle Biters I've had both times will abscond at the drop of a hat and also produce about enough honey to barely survive winter. On the other hand, my local bees (I had 2 hives going into winter last year) still had approximately 40 pounds of honey in each hive coming out of winter and into spring. Build-up was fast, extremely strong hives, and I split them into 4 hives in April.

The two hives from 2015 now have two full deeps and two full supers, the hives started in spring 2016 have filled two deeps and one super each. I have not seen a wax moth or SHB in any of them (knock on wood). Assuming they make it through winter 2016 - 2017, I plan to split them all again next spring into 8 hives. I would not say the local bees are gentle, but neither are the Minnesota Hygienics or the Purdue Ankle Biters. My local bees are a bit more assertive... which doesn't make much of a difference because I work with a suit and gloves anyway. I do not like to be stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    I kept VSH hives for over 3 years now and halved my honey production in the process.

Rusty

My first year re-queening with VHS Queens from Wildflower meadows. I was not happy about the performance of the queens. Got 1 in April and then 2 more in June. Just a 70% failure rate on the bee hive size and brood pattern. 1 queen was only laying on 3 frames front/back she had 6 other frames she could have laid in.
    Beehive 2A as I call it, they refused to move up to the 2nd box. Only 2 frames for the queen to lay in and it was horrible. Like a 2yr old with a crayon was the way she was laying.
    Nuc Box never really grew and got going.

I was SO UPSET! I can't even harvest 1 box of honey this year and it's the 2nd year of my bees. Contacted wildflowermeadows and told them my experience. They sent me 3 new queens that arrived on Tuesday. These queens are ALOT fatter then the other 3 I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post

Rusty
    Instead of VSH, try Minnesota Hybrids. They were bred for honey production as well as mite resistance. I haven't treated for mites in years and a new swarm is on 2 deep brood boxes in the first month.

Read the following thread for more info:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...23#post1721023

I got tired of battling varroa. My first step in getting the upper hand on the mite was to forswear the coddling of wimpy bees with synthetic chemicals.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 05-04-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Typos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12