Virgins and cell builders

Default Virgins and cell builders

i am using the cloake board method and have 2 very crowded cell builders going each one has produced one round of 30 cells each, from my own mistakes i now have virgins in each is there any tricks to finding them or any way to continue using the cell builders for another round or should i just make another cell builder from another hive thanks tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Virgins and cell builders

virgins lokk just like queens hunt and search....

You can also use your queen excluder and a bee brush to move her down to the bottom.

Not as hard to find as some texts indicate. After a couple days should only be one. They often "run" across a comb.

Thanks- in general can virgins pass through the excluder, i`ll try to find them ,these hives are packed with bees covering alot of the top box plus they are abit aggressive. just doule checking but the presence of a virgin would cause them to neglect my grafts.

the presence of a virgin would cause them to neglect my grafts.

By now you do not have any grated cells left.
    Try looking for her on the brood frames of your cell builder.
    Yes, virgin queens can pass through an excluder.
    Keep trying and better luck next time.
    Ernie
    Queen breeder
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Got a 5 frame deep nuc ready to be a cell builder knew the queen she was marked found her and placed in queen cage with a few attendants,pulled out 2 frames with the most eggs and young larva placed in another nuc to build it up. Put in a division board feeder with 2 qts HFCS the next morning put in 25 grafted cells checked the next day not 1 cell even started. (found another QUEEN) put in another graft of 25 cells the next morning. checked again the flowing morning and still not a cell started re checked again found another Queen ( both of these queens were laying queens) so I am going to place another graft in tomorrow. NOW this was a surprise to me.

I bet that was a surprise! Two queens in a hive not to uncommon but three! Now that is a hive!

that is really rare. I hear they only do that with daughter queens.

are they russians? i've heard they will run multiple queens and build/tear down supercedure cells constantly, also will keep a virgin imprisoned in a cell. all survival traits they have evolved.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

NOT RUSSIAN. the main queen was Italian the other 2 were a cross with the RUSSIAN kinda dark shadow no stripes darker on tip

MY THIRD GRAFT TURNED OUT GOT 17 NICE CELL AFTER THEY WERE SEALED PUT IN ANOTHER GRAFT GOT 23 OUT OF 25 CELLS

23/25. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Not as hard to find as some texts indicate. They often "run" across a comb.
    That's right...run across the combs AND over the bees. Mated queens will stay on the comb.

Had a call a couple years ago to five swarms at one time. Huge hive. The owner wanted to live with the hive in his attic. Looks to me like you caught them just before the swarm.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

>Mated queens will stay on the comb.

I had three of them fly yesterday... they are mated, laying up a storm and I'm trying to catch them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Mated queens will stay on the comb.

I had three of them fly yesterday... they are mated, laying up a storm and I'm trying to catch them...
    Sure they walk on the comb. Doesn't mean they're stable. New queens are very flighty and runny. I trained three folks this year, to catch queens. Had to laugh and shake my head at the things that happened. Queens flying off was common.

One day, Trevor lost two in a row. I kept my cool, and looked around. I found one on the truck with a small cluster. They were under the corner of an inner cover by the marking station. The other was on the outside of the shaker box. Lucky girl, her. That box was overflowing with 20 pounds of bees that we shook out of mating nucs. If she'd gotten inside, they probably would have balled her.