Problem Bear...Not Now (Graphic Pics)

Default Problem Bear...Not Now (Graphic Pics)

My dogs woke me up in time to save my backyard hives from this brute...well most of them...

I hated doing it but he wouldn't leave even after 3 243 rounds over his head.

Estimated weight at 350+ pounds (all five guys could drag up a steep bank) Age estimated at 6-8 years (DEC).

Shot at about 45-50 yards through heavy underbrush, while balancing a heavy coon light, shooting a right handed gun..left handed...one shot to drop him, an one to finish him off.... He should have just left...
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Problem Bear...Not Now (Graphic Pics)

Pegg:

Do you need to get a depredation permit for that?

No. We can legally shoot them if they are in our hives...the DEC does take the bear however.

Bears can be a major nuisance; I am impressed that NY State allows the permanent removal of bears.
    In other states such as Florida beekeepers arenít so lucky, the state takes the view that the Beeís and the hive are non native and instead of removing problem bears the bee farmers have to take the loss with no effective way of dealing with the bears.
    Electric fence and hives on stilts/Poles are not effective.
    When the DRN comes and picks up the bear I would be sure to let them know how nice it is to have a state natural resource program that is operated with logic.

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    No. We can legally shoot them if they are in our hives...
    I'll bet it depends on the particular Ranger.
    Mark Berninghausen

Default Depredation permit

In California dep. permits are available for problem bears but you have to be diligent about maintaining a hot fence. If they persist in breaking in you get permission, but also surrender the kill. Lots of the problem bears in Cal have been relocated from parks.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I'll bet it depends on the particular Ranger.

Mark

No, it dosen't. The trick is to catch them in the act, which is no small feat...but prefectly legal to kill them. I reported it, and i'm not in the steel bracelets yet....

At first I thought it was a young bear, the juveniles here will take garbage right out from under your nose. We use firecrackers right at them. They just have to learn.

I wouldn't want to shoot one in my yard mostly because I wouldn't want to clean it. They don't taste very good after they've been out for awhile. People don't worry much about black bear here. It's rare for people to kill them here despite the fact that almost as thick as rats sometimes until the salmon come in.

The browns are another matter, I wouldn't want to mess with a brown bear.
    Hotwire usually solves this easily. Bacon on hotwire. One little lick.
    Last edited by akbees; 07-13-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    Mark

No, it dosen't. The trick is to catch them in the act, which is no small feat...but prefectly legal to kill them. I reported it, and i'm not in the steel bracelets yet....
    So, does DEC have to see the evidence of distruction? Does the bear have to have a box in it's grasp? What constitutes catching them in the act?

Advice that I have gotten in the past is to do away w/ the bear and keep quiet about it. DEC has been less than cooperative w/ beekeepers in the past. Maybe things have changed.
    Mark Berninghausen

Nice bear too bad it wasn't in season. What does Dep do with the bear?

They took it and dumped it in a landfill....

Mark

I have 3 years worth of complaints to dec about bears, they don't want to hear from me anymore. You have to catch them in the act of destroying your hives, they need to drop within a few yards of the bees(this one was about 45-50 yards from the closest hive). I don't have to worry anymore about this one anyway.

S............shoot
    S............shovel
    S............shut up

Too bad they took it to the land fill, would have made a nice rug, and some bear hair jigs for fishing.

If they have to be so close to the hive to be shot then just shoot him and move a hive a little closer.

I bet that was a handful trying to hold a light and shoot off hand all at the same time, good going.

G3

Great job! The real shame is the waste of all that great tasting meat. My dad was at bear camp( hound training season) in northern WI last weekend and made the mistake of leaving his bear bait in the back of his new toyota. He was woken with a loud ruckus outside to find two bears fighting over who gets the meal first and trying to get in the back of the truck at the same time. Needless to say he now needs a new paint job on that new truck. Scratches everywhere! The hounds(10+) were tied 50 yds. away.

here any meat confiscated by fish and game goes to a professional butcher and then to the foodbank. that is of coarse if youve gutted it pretty quickly after shooting it.

"I bet that was a handful trying to hold a light and shoot off hand all at the same time, good going."

You betcha....pure luck was all it was. This was a scoped rifle also, but once I picked his eyes up in the scope I was all set.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    here any meat confiscated by fish and game goes to a professional butcher and then to the foodbank. that is of coarse if youve gutted it pretty quickly after shooting it.

I thought they did that here as well, which I found out they don't do yesterday...that sucked.

Usually just get data from them, age, weight, sex and location of the bear, then who knows, prolly bury them