I Suck at installing bee's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Suck at installing bee's

I officially suck at putting new packs in hives

Last week I installed 2 packs in my hives and I killed about a handfull per pack. Mainly due to the rain

Tonight I figured I learned and could install the 4 I got yesterday. I Sprayed them down with sugar water and they calmed down. I pulled the queen while my son kept his hand over the hole. I wired the queen between a couple frames and went to shake out the bee's and shook about half and then but, could not get the courage up to shake them all out. So I gave up and pulled 4 frames and put the pack in the hive. The next 3 I just pulled the queen and put the pack in the hive and let them crawl out. Covered them up installed the feeder and left them.

I have to say I did not kill many this time and when it got dusk there was no bee's flying so I am thinking I killed less. We will see tomorrow if they all leave the package and I will put in the rest of the frames.

Should I let the queen out tomorrow or put in a marshmallow or?

I still am not very good at this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Is this your first year?

Last year was my first year, and I felt like hiving was a disaster (bees everywhere, a bunch died in the package), but this year I did one so far and it went off without a hitch.

I think you get better at it.

I'm no expert on releasing queens, but the marshmallow always seems like a good idea, rather than just releasing her yourself. That way the bees can bring her into the fold themselves.

I need to go buy some mini marshmallows tomorrow.

Oh yea Newbie.

For packages, I like to shake the bees in, add the queen while still in the cage with the cork, feed them and close them up for about three days. Got out there, add a little smoke, take the queen cage out, take the cork out, let the queen go into the frames and close it up. I try not to rush the process and want to make sure the queen will be excepted.

Let me know if you need help. I am not that far from you and my email is [email protected]
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    I officially suck at putting new packs in hives
    After reading this it seems to me that you are officially new. Not much more than that really.

Last week I installed 2 packs in my hives and I killed about a handfull per pack. Mainly due to the rain
    You drowned them in the rain? Hold their little heads down into the water? Rather heartless, eh? Seriously, unless you can control the weather, don't worry.
    But if it going to rain, don't install them before, as they don't like to fly in it. But if it does rain, have plenty of 1:1 sugar water in your new hive. And if you have old comb on frames, then protein so she may start laying.

Tonight I figured I learned and could install the 4 I got yesterday. I Sprayed them down with sugar water and they calmed down. I pulled the queen while my son kept his hand over the hole. I wired the queen between a couple frames and went to shake out the bee's and shook about half and then but, could not get the courage up to shake them all out. So I gave up and pulled 4 frames and put the pack in the hive. The next 3 I just pulled the queen and put the pack in the hive and let them crawl out. Covered them up installed the feeder and left them.
    Seems like a decent, tried and true method used by pros every where. Another method, even more lazy, is to fix the queen on the frame, with marshmellow, and those bees that aren't shaken out and wish to remain in the box, leave the box in front of the hive so they may fly out and join their queen....they'll empty out of that box before sun set

Should I let the queen out tomorrow or put in a marshmallow or? I still am not very good at this.
    As you are not experienced or confident yet, and the queen can be like most women, fickle, do the marshmallow thingy and they will free her. Sometimes if you do a simple release she may fly or walk out of their hive.
    And don't be so hard on yourself, you are truly dealing with a wild bunch of animals. Nor do you need not be so hard on your self as I am sure there are a bunch of people not far away that will do that for you. Breath deep.

last year I just removed some frames and put the whole open package in the hive without dumping the bees. by the next day they were all out of the package. you of course have to remove the can of syrup and feed them where they have to come out of the package to eat.

Default Now your getin it

Quote Originally Posted by randydrivesabus View Post
    last year I just removed some frames and put the whole open package in the hive without dumping the bees. by the next day they were all out of the package. you of course have to remove the can of syrup and feed them where they have to come out of the package to eat.

The next 3 I just pulled the queen and put the pack in the hive and let them crawl out. Covered them up installed the feeder and left them.

I have to say I did not kill many this time and when it got dusk there was no bee's flying so I am thinking I killed less. We will see tomorrow if they all leave the package and I will put in the rest of the frames.

Just let the bees do the work
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default I need to go buy some mini marshmallows

The taffy part of an Aba Zabba candy bar works and it taste better than a marsh mellow.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I hived five packages this year, 3 I did a direct release of the queen and two I did the mini marshmellow. All were succesfull so I guess its just down to what takes your fancy

Default I doubt you killed as many as you think.

[QUOTE=EastSideBuzz;417276]I officially suck at putting new packs in hives

"I killed about a handfull per pack. Mainly due to the rain"

There area always some bee's that die during transit. Mainly due to the shippers treatment of the package.

A good way to install the package is to remove the queen cage and place it where you want it in the hive. Then remove the feed can of syrup and set it aside for a moment. (You can use the plywood package cover to keep the bees in the package until you want them out.)

Lay the package on top of the frames of the hive, with the opening near the queen cage and put an empty hive body on top of the whole thing. Set the feed can in a corner and put the inner cover on.

Go back the next day and remove the package. The dead bees will be left inside the package, saving the new bee's that amount of clean up.
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it

i plan to install some more bees end of the month. you are more then welcome to tag along if you would like.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

what about fixing the queen cage in the hive and setting the open package over the hole in the inner cover, with an empty hive body and outer cover to protect it? has anyone done it this way?

Default Package install

Quote Originally Posted by arjay View Post
    what about fixing the queen cage in the hive and setting the open package over the hole in the inner cover, with an empty hive body and outer cover to protect it? has anyone done it this way?
    Take a look at this thread

https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227933
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

EastSide, Chef is a super cool guy you should take him up on his offer. In the mean time dont be to hard on your self. Check your PM's.

[QUOTE=kc in wv;417346]
    Go back the next day and remove the package. The dead bees will be left inside the package, saving the new bee's that amount of clean up.
    It all seems to be better tonight. I removed the empty cage and filled it back up with frames. I plugged the queen cage with a marshmallow and put it back in.

We will wait a few days and then pull the empty cage. This seems to work better then shaking them in. I did not kill any this time.

[QUOTE=EastSideBuzz;417650]
    Quote Originally Posted by kc in wv View Post
    It all seems to be better tonight. I removed the empty cage and filled it back up with frames. I plugged the queen cage with a marshmallow and put it back in.We will wait a few days and then pull the empty cage. This seems to work better then shaking them in. I did not kill any this time.
    Sunday I put the marshmallow into the tube; Monday I went to pick the cage up but nobody had eaten it out! Meanwhile the last bar (#7) had beautiful white comb as did #4, where she was hung. I removed the marshmellow and simply let her out then hung around for about 20 minutes to see if she decided to skip town. Great going today...but there are foragers with not much to do (not much to "put into") but they are coming back with some pollen so I guess there are empties. I've almost finished with another TBH with a window this time. Live, do & learn.

Eastsidebuzz,
    you had me in stiches when I read your post. You may not think you're good at installing bees yet, but you sure know how to make me laugh. I too had to install my first bees this weekend. It was nearly dark when I finally had all my equipment lined up ready to go. After attempting to fortify my nerves with a few sips of a nice Syrah, I put my bee suit on for the first time, unaware that I had left a side zipper open. I lit my smoker which promptly went out, I finally had to give up on the darn smoker. I opened the box of bees, and promptly got stung which I bravely endured. I was doing ok until the bee got INSIDE my face net. That did it. I slammed the lid back down on my nuc, and ran back to my cabin pealing off my suit, shoes, gloves, and anything that I thought might possibly have a bee on it. I got in my cabin and slammed the door as though the devil were chasing me. Peering out to see which of the little monsters might be lurking out there waiting for me.....
    The next morning the sun was out. The smoker worked. I installed my sweet little bees with no problem. I did get nucs which I think made it a lot easier. Tomorrow I go visit my little guys and make sure I didn't squish a queen in the process.
    I'm getting better at this already.

Eastsidebuzz,
    you had me in stiches when I read your post. You may not think you're good at installing bees yet, but you sure know how to make me laugh. I too had to install my first bees this weekend. It was nearly dark when I finally had all my equipment lined up ready to go. After attempting to fortify my nerves with a few sips of a nice Syrah, I put my bee suit on for the first time, unaware that I had left a side zipper open. I lit my smoker which promptly went out, I finally had to give up on the darn smoker. I opened the box of bees, and promptly got stung which I bravely endured. I was doing ok until the bee got INSIDE my face net. That did it. I slammed the lid back down on my nuc, and ran back to my cabin pealing off my suit, shoes, gloves, and anything that I thought might possibly have a bee on it. I got in my cabin and slammed the door as though the devil were chasing me. Peering out to see which of the little monsters might be lurking out there waiting for me.....
    The next morning the sun was out. The smoker worked. I installed my sweet little bees with no problem. I did get nucs which I think made it a lot easier. Tomorrow I go visit my little guys and make sure I didn't squish a queen in the process.
    I'm getting better at this already.

i saw a guy on youtube do it this way and i liked it so i did it this way and it worked great. (normal queen/syrup removal)

i find it simple to peal the small sticks holding the screen on the side off three sides. with the package on its back, tap the bees off the screen you just freed, peal back the screen, flip and dump-tap. youll get 90% of the bees in the first tap and its easy to get the other 9% on the second. There are always a few that hang around but i didnt mess with trying to get every last one out. I just put it outside the hive and moved on to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by mariongoose View Post
    After attempting to fortify my nerves with a few sips of a nice Syrah,
    AUGH, that is what I did wrong. I had a mean merlot and I needed a nice Syrah.

They need to get that into the book right before the formula for the SW.

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    i saw a guy on youtube do it......i find it simple to peal the small sticks holding the screen on the side off three sides.
    I do not think my club would appreciate me taking it apart. They re-use the boxes year after year. So I think I like pulling 4 frames and putting it in and waiting a day for them all exit. That seemed to work just fine. I will add in a "nice Syrah" and I think I got a plan for next year. Can't use a Gevertztraminer that wine has to much sugar in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast