Swarm Cells with Demaree Method

Default Swarm Cells with Demaree Method

I've been thinking about the Demaree method lately and a thought occurred to me that had never occurred before...

Why doesn't Demareeing hives trigger swarm cell formation in the non-queened portion of very large colonies?

I've Demareed a fair number of colonies and never (to my knowledge) accidentally formed a two queen colony or induced swarm cell formation. Am I missing something or just really lucky?
    Last edited by Aspera; 03-23-2009 at 10:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Demareeing(is that a verb?)

My impression from only the reading I have done, is that the brood in the box moved to the top of the hive,above a queen excluder,is too old for them to make into a queen.The brood has to be an egg or up to 3 days old and open.And because there is still plenty of queen scent in hive a worker would most likely not be trying to lay.Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Aspera View Post
    I've Demareed a fair number of colonies and never (to my knowledge) accidentally formed a two queen colony or induced swarm cell formation. Am I missing something or just really lucky?
    My cell building setup is similar to the Demaree swarm control method. Brood goes above an excluder, while old queen is below. I sort out the unsealed brood and that's what goes above. In about 20% of the cases, the bees start emergency queen cells, but never swarm cells.

Are you placing any open brood above the excluder, or just sealed?

I typically move the queen on into a lower box or boxes (mediums) containing either nothing but pollen, nectar or empty cells (preferred). The queen is given 1 or two frames of nurse bees to attend her. Sometimes I will see emergency cells, which I usually remove, but my stock is 25-50% Rus with a fair amount of Carniolan. It is common for me to see a high rate of queen cup building and succession (especially now that I am not using any hard chemicals for varroa control). I suppose succession might occur w/o my knowledge as not all of my queens are marked, and I rarely go back into the lower boxes once the queen is forced down.