Africanized bees in Wisconsin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Africanized bees in Wisconsin?

I heard a new one today..... I live in Wisconsin and met someone also from Wisconsin who keeps bees. I will admit I haven’t been doing this long, but I have read almost everything I could find and this is hard for me to believe. This person I met, said he is raising and breeding afticanized bees, along with other bees from Australia and other areas, here in Wisconsin and has been for years. He said he has a license from the FDA to raise and breed them here with other breeds so they will be able to withstand the winters. I asked him if he was worried about them getting too hot, and he said, “no, I can move them into the shade.” : When I explained I meant “hot “ as in mean and aggressive, he said he doesn’t care. He will just wear a bee suit then. Maybe I am ignorant and believe it when I read that africanized bees can’t live this far north cause they will never make it through the winter. Personally, I think this guy is either throwing me a bone to see if I am gullible enough to believe him, or maybe he is off his rocker. Either way.... what do you all think?

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default what do you all think?

I attended a Calif. Bee Convention in San Diego many years ago, 1972 or 1973, and I can remember the key note speaker saying that the Afican strain of bee is phototropic and will fly when there is sunshine.
    Whereas the Euopean strains are thermotropic and will fly at say 55 degrees F.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Years ago, the Madison bee lab was part of the FDA experimentation with Africanized bees, but I don't think any remnant of that still exists. I think this guy was pulling your leg.
    I would love to know his name and where he lives.
    Sheri

Yeah, I was just reading again, some of the reports of that experiment.

https://beesource.com/pov/ahb/viciousbee.htm

I'm sure some of the genetics got into the local population, but who knows what percent it is by now. Not much I would think.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yeah, I was just reading again, some of the reports of that experiment.

https://beesource.com/pov/ahb/viciousbee.htm

I'm sure some of the genetics got into the local population, but who knows what percent it is by now. Not much I would think.
    He told me that he brings them in from Africa, and other places. I asked if he was having problems getting bees from Australia and he said something about not being about to get them thru Europe, but he could get them from Australia. Again... he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Default and to think I was recently ridiculed

by claiming that some commercial beeks are eager to get AHB genetics in their operations as they are a hard bee to kill and are resistant to mites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Dingler View Post
    by claiming that some commercial beeks are eager to get AHB genetics in their operations as they are a hard bee to kill and are resistant to mites.
    No, it was because you said all bees from southern breeders carried AHB genes.

I bet most of the southern open mated queens do.
    Also no way is the WI guy importing them from Africa.
    Dan

not legally maybe, but that doesn't mean hes not

Quote Originally Posted by afss View Post
    not legally maybe, but that doesn't mean hes not
    He claimed to be licensed by the FDA for africanized bees.

The more I think about what he told me the more I think he was ignorant but wanted to sound like he was a big time bee keeper. While talking to him, when he said africanized bees, I asked "africanized bees?" and he said "yes, they also call them killer bees" That doesn't sound like something a breeder would say.

Um, he is having trouble ordering AHB from Europe but can order AHB from Australia, and has a "license from the FDA" to breed bees? I would think someone selectively breeding with AHB for cold-tolerance would recognize a term like "hot" bees. And why in the world wouldn't a breeder be trying instead to breed EHB to have AHB's disease-resistant traits instead of breeding the world's least favorite bee simply to be able to spread more aggressively? Granted WI winters aren't anything like they were when I was growing up, but I think this cat has spent a couple too many days in the poorly-ventilated ice shanty with Sterno heat, popping some whippets and sipping grandma's brandy slush .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Fda?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    He claimed to be licensed by the FDA for africanized bees.
    Curious: what does the FDA have to do with Animal Breeding/Importation?

Adam Finkelstein
    www.vpqueenbees.com

Default first frost.

Here is a clue - every really "HOT" hive I ever met, barely made it past the first frost.

Roland in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Curious: what does the FDA have to do with Animal Breeding/Importation?

Adam Finkelstein
    www.vpqueenbees.com
    Quite right. It wasn't FDA but USDA that played around with african bees.
    Sheri

I would happily swap a few tall tales with him. Make up some outrageous story and tell it with a straight face, or find or make up a couple of names and ask him something like "Do your bees come from the ballyhoo region or genghis region of Africa." If he picks one, you have your answer.

Think he was talking "BULL" not "BEES".
    WD9BB, Chuck

Whole story smacks of a tall tale.

Africanized bees don't "get hot." They are hot. Right from the start.

The FDA versus USDA confusion is another clue.

And, from what I've read and know about Africanized honey bees, swarming is a bigger issue to breeding than over winter survival. AHB tend to swarm early and often, which is not a trait that might make them seem desirable for beekeepers.

The more I think about what he told me the more I think he was ignorant but wanted to sound like he was a big time bee keeper.
    How many do we run into that fits this discription
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Superdog! I thought we had an 'agreement' to keep this as 'classified information' for a while? That's the last time I 'talk bees' with you!

Actually, I know a beekeeper who went to Africa on a 'vacation' ; so, who knows.

Default check the shoes

very large red shoes, orange hair and a red ball nose can often be a tip off.

maybe he was just trying to scare you aware from his territory
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast