Africanized bees in Wisconsin? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Quite right. It wasn't FDA but USDA that played around with african bees.
    Sheri
    + 1 on this answer.

APHIS, a branch of the USDA regulates animal importation. As a USDA accredited veterinarian, I can tell you that this guy has no concept of how the regulatory agencies function. Even USDA breeders would have a difficult time gaining approval for what he is claiming to do. Why do you think all of the Russian stock was originally located on an off shore isolated apiary? Hint: It wasn't to preserve the purity of the stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default AHB Swarm???

AHB's don't swarm much

I had 1 hive in October and 6 in May without buying any. And I know that 2 swarms got away from me, maybe more.

They were a gift from an old commercial beek.

That was in the Rio Grande Valley 5 miles from Hidalgo, Tx.
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !

Default Bee imports

I'm still very curious as to the protocol allowing the Australian bees to enter. Not even the AIA was consulted.

TALL Tales from a SHORT mind.

Sounds like he might be intimidated by your knowledge of beekeeping and is attempting some one-upsmanship.

Default Re: check the shoes

I'm sorry to regurgitate this thread after so long, but I have a Question/concern: I sure HOPE some of you guys will lend an ear, and shoot your thoughts...

I was hoping to buy a NUC, and START beekeeping, so I asked a few questions of the person in charge of the NUC sales at our local Beekeeper Assn Meeting... Apparently, the hives, are transient, they base out of NY, but go to Cal for Almonds, then move around til they get to Florida for Orange.. then a respite in NY before being shipped to South Carolina for breeding.. So A, it is definitely a southern Drone, and 2, I question the Queen's genetics, especially knowing that they have traveled through so many Africanized states, and who knows if the Queen was superseded in any of those areas... 3 with being so transient, I worry that no matter the answers to 1 and 2, the Queen nor the hive are ready for a full on NorEaster... All thoughts appreciated... THANKS

Unless your supplyer has a reputation for the conserns mentiond. Dond over think it and ware your bee jacket while learning. In the event you are un happy with them you can requeen,,, on rhe orher hand often commercial operations offer bees that build well while thay may may not be suted for everything quick growing is a good place to start

I'am also new 2nd year,but I'am thinking this guy must
    move his hot hives to the shade and use his his crack pipe
    vapor to treat them for mites.

(guess I will have to start looking at the dates of some
    of these posts)

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Unless your supplyer has a reputation for the conserns mentiond. Dond over think it and ware your bee jacket while learning. In the event you are un happy with them you can requeen,,, on rhe orher hand often commercial operations offer bees that build well while thay may may not be suted for everything quick growing is a good place to start
    Thanks BirdDog, I ended up getting from a Swarm Chaser, N PA, all local girls, then last month, caught my 1st swarm, now worried about getting them thru winter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12