Osteoarthritis - Hand Surgery

Hybrid View

Default Osteoarthritis - Hand Surgery

Found out today that the pain I've been having in my hand at the base of my thumb is due to arthritis. X-ray showed little to no cartilage between the bones. Also have bone spurs. Doctor said I will need surgery in time, when I can't deal with the pain anymore. It appears the hand is put in a cast for 6 weeks after surgery and it can take up to several months to regain full use of the hand.

Has anyone had this surgery? I'd sure like to hear from someone that's been through this.

There are two types of procedures. This is the most common:

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw003.htm

One that hasn't been around that long is this, where the trapezium bone is left in place and a prostheses is used:

Joint replacement (arthroplasty). In this procedure, surgeons remove part or all of the joint and replace it with a graft from one of your tendons. New plastic or metal devices called prostheses also are being developed to replace the joint. Currently, however, doctors prefer soft-tissue (tendon) arthroplasty.
    Regards, Barry

what caused it? repetitive motion?

Yeah, a lot of hard use. Almost 30 years of construction. Could be genetics as well as my Grandmother has arthritis.
    Regards, Barry

Sorry for the problems B. Don't you pay the bills swinging a hammer?

This is gonna sound odd, but have you tried beestings for the pain? RIght at the sight? How much do you get stung keeping bees?

I do not know anyone that had that surgery and have not cared for patients that had. The informal things heard about arthritic surgery is that they need repetition at some point in the future (hips and knees). My builder saw the local hand expert for a genetic lineage defect that alters use of hands and was very unsatisfied...

On the overall subject of healthcare I'd suggest a book by Norton Hadler "Worried Sick". It is not specific to arthritis but it offers a paradigm shift for those willing.

Good luck. STOP TYPING SO MUCH lol

How about glucosamine and chondroitin? I've heard doctors recommend it. I've never used it because my aches and pains aren't that severe yet, but if I ever start having pain from ostoarthritis, that's the first thing I will try. Just an idea.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

At the very least, Try the beestings, they do wonders for me! Start out with one sting in the infected joint and see how it does. If not satisfactory, try 2 the next time. You'll have to work out the amount of stings and the frequency, but over time, you'll start reducing the stings to littler or none.

I use the stings for arthritis and for nerve pains due to multiple spine discs degenerating with herniated dics.

Best of luck!
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    How about glucosamine and chondroitin? I've heard doctors recommend it. I've never used it because my aches and pains aren't that severe yet, but if I ever start having pain from ostoarthritis, that's the first thing I will try. Just an idea.
    Forget surgery! It is LAST resort!

Glucosamine and chondroitin is the way to go. Make sure capsule also contains manganese. Use it 90 days at least. I use it in dogs (yes human product in dogs) all the time with excellent success. Beware of fake formulas (bought OTC) which do not have enough of glucosamine. I use Pure Encapsulation's product "Glucosamine Chondroitin with manganese". I know it is good because they send me quarterly independent lab analysis. I carry this product routinely in the hospital. You have to find someone who carries it. As far as I know they sell it only to doctors.

If you can not find this product start using Knox Gelatine. One to two packets a day in juice. Make sure you start supplementin Calcium in colloidal form. Tums and other metallic Calcium formulations (lactate, carbonate...) are useless.

P.S. Glucosamine is not cheap i.e. the cheaper the product doesn't mean the same product. It means it doesn't have enough glucosamine regardless what the label says. Instead it has a filler, usually milk powder.

Try this for 90 days! If you have wear and tear osteoarthritis you will not need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by nursebee View Post
    Don't you pay the bills swinging a hammer?
    Yes, sorta. Nowadays, it's shooting nails with air. However, it's my left hand/thumb that's giving me problems, not the right. I would have figured it the other way around.

This is gonna sound odd, but have you tried beestings for the pain? RIght at the sight? How much do you get stung keeping bees?
    No, not odd. I plan to start giving stings a try. I've been away from bees for the most part over the last five years and just now getting back into it, so I haven't had many stings for awhile. Use to get plenty.

My builder saw the local hand expert for a genetic lineage defect that alters use of hands and was very unsatisfied...
    I'm not rushing into this for sure. Right now it's just a constant low grade pain and stiffness that flares up every so often. I use to take glucosamine for years, and then stopped. I just started taking it again, but I'm not sure much can be done for the thumb joint once the bone is rubbing bone. Now it's pain management, no?
    Regards, Barry

Sorry to hear that Barry........... I agree with others on
    the glucosamine and chondroitin therapy. It's worth a shot.

My mom suffered with hand pain from arthritis for years.
    At the time I worked in a hospital pharmacy and got her
    a cream that uses capsaicin (hot pepper). She marveled
    at the pain relief she got from that.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/comp...icin_cream.htm
    Closing in on retirement.......